Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Tidioute , Pennsylvania
Drapery instructions

Does anyone have instructions for making new draperies, or some close-up pics and measurement info I could use. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
cmd006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd006 View Post
Does anyone have instructions for making new draperies, or some close-up pics and measurement info I could use. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I'm definately not the expert BUT, my son's girlfriend mother is a seamstress who just did the curtains for my Sovereign. If you have anything specific I could ask and get the info. Mine is a '74 with the top "T" and bottom "G" catches with elastic. New curtains are very beautiful.

I do know that you should buy the new plastic pieces (.30 ea) as the labour cost is much higher and using the old ones some will break () - live and learn. Sometimes I wish I wasn't Scottish.

Alex
astewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I had to reline several of my curtains as the sun had killed the linings. The best bet is just to open them up and use the old as a pattern. The old will give you the pleating measurements.

Yes it would pay to buy new elastics for the top and bottom as they loose there spring.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
There is a member who does this for people and is very helpful, maybe she will see this post and chime in.

I did mine, in the original manner with pleats. I don't think my lenght measurements will help you since my curtain rails were missing, so I made the drapes and placed the rails to fit. I had a book on curtain making and used the directions for making pleated drapes in the book, and adapted it knowing that there would be no bottom hem since it goes on the rails top and bottom.

My first sets I made the pleats too big; scaled as they were to living room drapes. For each panel I used one whole width of fabric. After adjusting the size to suite the AS better, I made 7 pleats per panel, with 4" allowance for the pleat and 3 3/4" for the spacing between pleats. I left 1 1/2" at each end for one last tab to be sewn on each end, and put two tabs in each space between the pleats. I made them fully lined.

I would post you a picture, but my camera was sent out this morning for repairs.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam View Post
There is a member who does this for people and is very helpful, maybe she will see this post and chime in.
We have two. Members Silver Threads and TB Rich.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Tidioute , Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the info. I have already ordered the sliders I need. The Airstream is not mine and I don't have the old drapes to use as a pattern. I have a pretty good idea of how to do these, just curious about pleat spacing.
cmd006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #7

1979 30' Argosy
Sunriver , Oregon
Thanks, how many yards total do you think I would need for just the front four windows if I run the fabric by length and pleated as your suggestion? Thanks, Korina
kchinchen is offline   Reply With Quote