Old 08-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
Hey, what you have done has inspired me!! I like that you tinted the window, we have been thinking of that as well. I think we will try and replace the blind without taking the inside skin off but if we need to, I think we can do it. Can you send a picture showing what you did?
You have returned the inspiration. I couldnít think of much to show in the photos, since I didnít take any with the skin off and now it just looks the same except the tint is darker and the shade works. Well, the door is much cleaner.

First I shot the photos looking through the door window and the front side window from the inside out so you can see the difference it makes in the color. Then I went outside and shot the two together. Then the inspiration struck. I got ambitious and did the front side window for before and after shots. I also included a shot of all four windows in the living and galley area. (Yes, Iíll admit it, the line from the handle is holding my old Braund Skyliner antenna up. I have new gears, just one more thing on the list. )

I also ran into a couple of gotchas. The bolt that holds the screen door to the outer door was secured with oversize pop rivets. As you can see in the photo, I got one to kind of hold, but the other simply falls out. A trip to the hardware store will solve that. The other is especially important. When the inner skin is installed, the friction makes it need much more tension to roll up the shade. That is as far as I have been able to retract the shade so far. It seems to go up a little further as I use it, so Iím hoping with a little more use it will improve. Use a lot more tension than you think is necessary!

There is a noticeable difference in temperatures you can feel between windows and the mini blinds from the window in front of the door to the one behind the door that hasnít been done yet. They are identical nonopening windows so they make a good comparison. When I get my IR thermometer back from my brother I will shoot the temps on these two windows and post an update.

I used Gila titanium window film from Home Depot. They claim it rejects 72% of the sunís heat. It really is a two person job, though. I could have really used an extra pair of hands. These Airstream windows are especially tough.

I really like the look from the outside a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door-Window-DSC00573.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	65784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front-Side-Window-DSC00574.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	65785  

Name:	Front-2-Windows-1-DSC00575.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	65786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front-2-Windows-2-DSC00579.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	65787  

Name:	All-4-Side-Windows-DSC00580.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	65788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gitzy-2-DSC00578.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	65789  

Old 08-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thanks for posting pictures! I like the way it turned out. I am going to pick up some window tint tonight and take it with me this weekend while camping, hopefully it turns out as nice as what you have done!!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Thanks for posting pictures! I like the way it turned out. I am going to pick up some window tint tonight and take it with me this weekend while camping, hopefully it turns out as nice as what you have done!!
Yeah, the bluish cast from the outside goes well with the Excella stripes. Now to get the rest of them done.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Thanks Bill! I'll try and get that thing out of there and replaced without having to take the door apart. When you pull the shade down, do you clip the bottom to anything or just let it hang and are you ever worried when you open it that the blind will roll up inside and get stuck?
Our new shade has about a 2-3 inch tab on the botton, with a snap in it. The male part of the snap is in the door below the window. When we pull it down, we snap it to keep it down and close to the glass. The original shade had the same snap in it. Ron

str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote