After reading on the forum the interior door cover would have to be removed to replace the roll up shade, I decided on a temporary fix for the nasty one on the our door. I had replaced the other roll up shades in the Airstream and kept one of the widest pieces that were left over. Half of the length of the door roll up shade was cut off and about 25" of the replacement shade was cut off. (The replacement piece was just a little narrow but I was ready to do the job and didn't really want to buy another shade.) The two pieces were overlapped and Duck tape was used to join them front to back. It seems pretty sturdy especially since the shade got away from me twice and wound itself flap, flapping around the roller. That's something to be avoided by the way.
I took out the little plastic slat and replaced it with a thicker wooden slat that was in the original shade. Hopefully if it ever gets away from me again, the bigger slat will save the day.