Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Different curtain design???

I've searched for a long time and can't seem to find an answer to the question.."is there a reason to not use just regular curtains instead of the pleated ones in an AS??" I know I've seen pictures that made them really individual but before we start something, I'd like to ask for opinions on the topic! Thanks again.... Pictures would really help.

Thanks again!

Phil & Edee
Old 11-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
necessity is the mother of invention

Hi Phil and Edee,
Fun topic, I can't wait to see the responses and photos that come your way.

I'll start you off though....we picked up our '64 Tradewind in April. It had custom curtains sewn by the PO. They were beige and had seen better days. I threw them in the wash in an effort to hopefully salvage them until I could save the $$ to order new curtains. Well, they didn't make it out of the wash in one piece, sad to say. So, I got creative. I purchased two different, complementary patterns of upholstery fabric. After measuring 982 times (and I still mismeasured one window), I cut the material to fit, finished the edges using stich witchery and put grommets across the top. I then purchased loose ring binders (at your local office supply store) and attached the curtains to the original curtain carriers using the ring binders. They work like a charm and all said, I spent a little over $80 on 9 sets of curtains in the Tradewind. That included $20 for the grommet maker.

Sorry I don't have better photos, but these might give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Felix-stageone2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	49797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Felix-stageone4.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	49798  

Attached Images

"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
I've searched for a long time and can't seem to find an answer to the question.."is there a reason to not use just regular curtains instead of the pleated ones in an AS??" I know I've seen pictures that made them really individual but before we start something, I'd like to ask for opinions on the topic! Thanks again.... Pictures would really help.

Thanks again!

Phil & Edee
Hi Phil & Edee;
Perhaps my plans will not shed much light on your problem, but I too, am not willing to sew in so many track clips. I am not going to reuse the tracks in my 26' Argosy which is under Ground-Up restoration. The first thing that I do not like about the original curtains is the large amount of space they take.
I plan to do a wrap around sofa from the entry door and around the front and all the way down to the Fridge. This way, two guests can sleep toe to toe or head to head pending on the individual preference. The removable back rest of the sofa will follow the curve of the front, therefore the amount of space occupied by curtains is critical to us. I have in SS stock hardened and thick wall 1/4" SS tubing from which I will form removable curtain rods, top and bottom. We have a Commercial Singer sewing machine and my wife Margaret Kay is quite handy with it. She has already chosen the scheme and purchased the curtain material. As of yet, I cannot provide any pics because we are not ready for it. In January she will be undergoing serious foot surgery and during the month of February when she has recovered partially, she will start on curtain project. She will be sewing in a double pocket in curtains for the SS curtain rods. Our intent is to make four sections of curtains because of the wrap around front window. Two half's for the center, and one each for the curved windows. The rods will extend few inches past the windows edge so that there is sufficient room to expose the view. I will make further reports once the project gets under way, including pics. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'd like to see some pictures of both these projects. I would like some close up pictures since I can't quite decide what you're talking about. It sounds and/or looks great, but I need some close-ups. I want to change the curtains in my new Sovereign, and sewing all those little thingys on is depressing.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Wow!

This does sound like fun! We're on our way to the fabric store today to see what looks good. I have a denim cover on the sofa so I think I'll take that as a starting place.... maybe something with forest/lodge/cabin/cedar.. ??? theme.

It's a lot more comfortable with more people involved~

Project up!

Edee
Old 11-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I dont understand why A/S felt the need to cover the entire wall with curtains myself. My husband says it is for insulation purposes, but personally, Im not to keen on it. The one thing I like about the older ones, is the smaller windows. In the 72 we had, the curtains covered the entire front with very little wall showing. In the Tradewind (66), the curtains just hang with only pleats at the top and use regular curtain hooks which saves a lot of sewing. I just finished a set for a lady who had an Argosy where she bought some curtains from sears and I just cut them down for her. That would be another option. Good luck with your project! I cant wait to see what you come up with.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Thanks for the input. I guess I assumed that the people who sewed A/S curtains just did the regulation kind. (And I used to tell my middle schoolers to "not assume anything" ) Do you hire on as a consultant?!!

Anyway we went looking today for fabric and came home with a couple of possibles. There wasn't anything that would promote the theme's I discussed... probably would be better to use something more subtle for curtains anyway and stick to accessories for the "theme". ?? I like the idea of ready-mades ... back to the drawing board! Now I really have a ton of questions..

Edee
Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi Edee, check out this fabric website. He has some great prices and shipping! Be sure and look at the clearance section at the bottom.
Fabric Guru.com, Fabric, Discount Fabric, Upholstery Fabric, Drapery Fabric, Fabric Remnants, wholesale fabric, fabrics, fabricguru, fabricguru.com, Waverly, P. Kaufmann, Schumacher, Robert Allen, Bloomcraft, Laura Ashley, Kravet, Greeff.. The possibilities are endless. I will be glad to help any way I can.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Found another fabric store online that has a lot of nature decor fabrics. I've sent for a few 1/2 yards just to see what they look like. I imagine since it's mediam or heavy weight cotton, it would have to be lined??? Here's the address: FAVORITE FABRICS: sewing / quilting fabrics online

We also found a simple woven check (think tiny gingham checks on steroids ) in a denim blue/cream. It's fairly firm and wouldn't need lining... I don't think. It would be a lot more subtle....

The search goes on!

Edee
Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
1959 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
Here is what I did for our '53 Flying Cloud. I made completely sew-free curtains out of outdoor canvas. I found a great sale and spent about $35 for enough fabric to cover 7 windows. I used a product called Stich Witchery to "hem" the edges and then hung them on inexpensive rods using curtain clips.
The fabric is heavy enough that they hang really straight, and the clips make them super easy to open and close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1086.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	50063   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1088.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	50064  

2Taylors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And the ideas roll on!

I have been developing an increasing fondness for plastic looped containers - such as the collapsable laundry bags and sun shields used for car windows. It's neat and handy to twist them up and store them very compactly. It gets very hot in summer around here so the reflective ones are super good to save your butt from hot leather upholstery! And they save the upholstry from UVA damage.

I wonder if you could find these things in appropriate sizes to fit windows... of an Airstream? The window operators should be enough to hold them in place I think. Hmmmmmm what's that smell, oh, just the brain overheating.

Paula
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
I like your idea!... I'm a bit stumped with our wrap-around windows in front. Still working on that. I took one sample (well...several but one that I really thought we'd like ) over the the AS yesterday. Inside it didn't do what we'd thought it would. Now I'm wondering if I should be considering insulated drapery fabric??? It's a fun project but I have a heck of a time making up my mind. sigh At least I'm finding what we DON'T want

Edee
Old 12-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
????

Ok.... so here's the deal. We have a lot of blues in our decor. Denim as a couch cover, etc. And we're originally from northern MN. I found a fabric with a great "blueberry" design on it... heavy cotton.. would have to be lined... but!... If I did a long curtain on both sides of the "door" window.... a "wrap-around" cafe type curtain to cover the curved windows in front... and a long curtain on the other side... would that look ok??? With pine tree fabric on pillows????

Ideas!!!

Edee & Phil
Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi Edee, do have a picture of the fabric/fabrics? Sounds like it could work.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Well ... here goes... I just ordered the fabric. If it doesn't work, I guess I can always send it out to our daughter who quilts! You can see the fabric here:

http://www.homestead.com/favoritefab..._on_cream.html

http://www.homestead.com/favoritefab...ss_pltree.html

http://www.homestead.com/favoritefab...loonpatch.html

I also ordered a bit of matching blue for possible borders/whatever...

Again the first curtain to the right of the door will be full length blueberry. It won't cover the day/night shades so it won't be overpowering... (I hope) Then the entire curved window will have the short curtains..(we'll have to extend the track about 6-8 inches on both sides) and the end curtains then will be full length again. I want to use the track and slides that are there but instead of pleating the material, I hope I can make it just gather in ?? folds. I don't think I'll use the bottom hooks... Phil wants to use oak for the cornices.

The other two material will be for the pillows and possible placemats/table cloth/??

Hope that makes sense ... I usually think faster than I type so I leave out things! ha Please make suggestions!

Edee
Old 12-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
GSM Vehicles did ours

Here are a couple pictures of our 58 Sovereign of the Road in our bathroom. You can find other pictures on our blog - Sweet Sovereign of the Road

Take care.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bath 3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	50538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath 7.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	50539  

https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi Edee. You can make the fabric 14 or so inches wider than the rail and when you add the tabs, about every 3 to 4 inches apart, they will pleat on there own. I cant wait to see the finished product.
Rob, you have a beatiful camper! Excellent work!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Clips for curtains

Can I get new "clips" to put on the new curtains so they'll fit on the slides?? I'd like to keep the old ones intact for if we ever have to sell the A/S they would be available.

Wait 'til you see what I chose for the liner for the blueberry curtains....
Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Edee, Check both InlandRV and VintageTrailerSupply.com for the tabs/clips for your curtains. They are also often listed on Ebay if you can find the kind that match the ones in your trailer. Make sure you only buy new ones as the elastic and plastic on old ones will most likely be brittle. Hope this helps with your search. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
Can I get new "clips" to put on the new curtains so they'll fit on the slides?? I'd like to keep the old ones intact for if we ever have to sell the A/S they would be available.

Wait 'til you see what I chose for the liner for the blueberry curtains....
I have made curtains for our 72 and Stratmans 73. They each had a different type of tab, but I was able to find both of them at camping world. They don't keep many in stock, so I bought what they had to get started and then ordered from their website what I needed to finish. Inland also had them but camping world was cheaper.

I tried other types of hardware and ended going back to the original airtstream pleat and tabs. I couldn't get the fullness that I wanted with anything else. I love your materials

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote