Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #21

1967 22' Safari
denali park , Alaska
I'm wondering if anyone can help, I have a 67' safari that I live in during the summer in AK. I would love to change out the curtains with some heavier darker fabric but my dilemma is I don't know the measurements on the windows and I'm currently in UT. If any has the time or knows a website where I can get the measurements I would really appreciate it. Thanks
hhanson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Wow!

Have I ever solved one of our problems with the curtains!! You know how they say you can't wash A/S drapes?? Well since I have the new patterned material for new curtains, I figured, whatever, might as well try washing the old ones! We had one with water stains so that's the one I started with. Suds it up with Woolite and rinsed it several times... dried it out in the Florida sun and it looks great!!! Will need to press it tomorrow but it sure looks like new!

Also Phil figured out how to change the curtain configuration on our Excella.. so now the short wrap-around curtains in front cover the whole area of curved window ... and the long curtains are gone for now. We'll just use the day/night shades for the summer. WHAT a difference! I actually have some wall space!! I'll get pics tomorrow or soon.

Edee
Old 01-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Curtains

Can the existing curtains be taken out of a 2002 Bambi and washed in the machine? Is it a complicated process? We haven't been out yet in our new toy but I noticed the curtains aren't pristine, just clean enough. I prefer pristine.
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
I don't know about machine washing ... but I hand washed ours with Woolite and they look good!! Even took out the water stains that were driving me over the edge.... They do have to be pressed after they are dry. Now... someone with more knowledge than I have will have to say if all A/S curtains are alike...??? Our trailer is a '99 Excella. Anyone???

Edee
Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Avondale , Arizona
Very Different Curtains

As I sit here at the computer, my wife is sewing up some "temporary" window treatments for our 68 Globetrotter. After 15 years of non-use, the previous coverings disintegrated. We just took the old girl out last weekend and got tired of stuffing sheets and the like into crevices around the windows, so she measured and cut some fabric left over from doing coverings in the house to make "Roman Shades." I'll mount them to a 1x2 or something similar, and screw that into the old aluminum track, stain, and mount a dowel rod through the bottom pocket that she is sewing, and create a decorative wooden "hook" to hold the shades against the walls. We'll be installing them this weekend, and I'll get photos online as soon as they're up. We plan on re-doing them later, with some "Sunbrella" fabric. No fading, and will do a great job of darkening so we can sleep in!! BTW, you can find the instructions for Roman Shades on the DIY Network Website, along with lots of other good ideas!
It was good to be out in the desert again with our Airstream!!!!
Don and Candy
joyful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
well, I am making curtains for a 69 tradewind, I have one problem< what kind of sliders go to the other windows? I have the one ones for the front window, which are on rollers, but the others look like they would take a large T, not the small ones. This is my second set of curtains that I fashioned from the original design. Any ideas what goes on the side windows?
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Do you have a picture of the track? They may be like the ones in our 65 tradewind. I dont know if you can buy them any more. I would love to have new ones!! I will see if I can get a picture posted shortly of the ones I have.

you may be able to get the ones called large curtain carriers to work. Just order one pack and try them out. You can always sell them to someone who needs them if they dont work. Here is what they look like. They use elastic sewn to the curtain. you can order them from Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Attached Images

https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
HINT for those of you whose curtain sliders are "sticky" or not easy to open/close the curtains by sliding the tabs on the tracks...use silicone lubricant spray (not DW40 because it might stain)...use the little pipette squirter thingie that comes with the aerosol can...stick it into the track at the outter end, spray it lightly as you move along the track...your little curtain sliders will be much easier to slide!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #29
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Silver threads, You can get the carriers you are looking for at any drapery shop or workroom. If you can't find them tell me and I will get a vendor listing and be able to sell them. about 5 to 10 cents each.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Sliders

Thank-you Silver Threads, just ordered them, they should work according to the measurement of the slider. I made my first set of curtains from the originals, it was a challenge, now this set is so much easier to put together, don"t think I will quit my day job though.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Much thanks Silver Threads, just ordered the sliders. This is my second set of A/S curtains using the originals as a pattern, easier this time though, but won't quit my day job- :-)
Old 01-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
OOPs

First message did'nt go through-T
Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I have been developing an increasing fondness for plastic looped containers - such as the collapsable laundry bags and sun shields used for car windows. It's neat and handy to twist them up and store them very compactly. It gets very hot in summer around here so the reflective ones are super good to save your butt from hot leather upholstery! And they save the upholstry from UVA damage.

I wonder if you could find these things in appropriate sizes to fit windows... of an Airstream? The window operators should be enough to hold them in place I think. Hmmmmmm what's that smell, oh, just the brain overheating.

Paula
We have been using the sun shades to cover our front windows. We bought two of the large ones at Walmart and they cover the entire front wrap around windows and the curtain rails and window operators hold them in place easily. We are right now in the process of making new curtains with the original plastic tabs. You can always open the curtains to show more of the trailor if you desire.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Double Curtains

Hi, these are double curtains that my wife made. When closed they block out a lot of light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 419 (Large).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	55996   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 420 (Large).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	55997  

Name:	My Picture CD 421 (Large).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	55998   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 422 (Large).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	55999  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am putting some decent curtains from a 75 into my 71. It's going well and I'm almost done.

FYI
The carriers are different from 75 to 71 and the 71 has 2 different type of carriers. Also I raised the lower track for the rear side window curbside a couple of inches to match the length of the curtains. No big deal and it works better with the rear gaucho anyway. I was able to recylcle most of the old carriers but I had to go out and buy some "large curtain carriers" which are the sewn in type. I used a Buttoneer to attach the carriers which worked very well.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have created several sets of slip covers for our 19' '06 Bambi...this is the latest, which we call "Cabana"...curtains and pillows are out of a Sumbrella-like fabric...the dinette seat and back cushions are a coordinating ultra-suede and the bolsters behind the backs of the dinette seats are the original covers (Midnight Sun)... We make the curtain panels as 2 long panels rather than 4 short ones...we feel they look better and are managed more easily... We've even made a set for a friend of ours who has an '06 19' Bambi CCD... We also do matching bedspreads, throw pillows and pillow shams... Nothing like a change of atmosphere...easy to do in a Bambi!

Here are so photos of "Cabana"...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cabana_02_Sm.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	56053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabana_04_Sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	56054  

Name:	Cabana_03_Sm.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	56055  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Bandit's new curtains

This thread is a great resource, and now we also have an upgrade to offer as Bandit has new curtains. They are a great improvement over the original light-weight white ones!

Improvements over the original design include:
Extra height to cover the top rail
Added width to allow for slight fullness when closed
Two panels are much easier to maneuver around window knobs than orginal 4 panel design.
Full length velcro closure
Black out lining blocks sight completely at night and adds some insulating value.

Eventually we plan to replace the bed with a sofa/bed combo ... but that probably won't happen until next winter ... or later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Curtains_2008_N5560.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	56327  
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Was it really clear back in November that I started asking about the curtain project??? Anyway... somewhere along the line I posted the fact that I had found material for our curtains but now.... lo' these many months later... we have curtains!!!! I can't send pics yet but the curtains and the valance boards are complete and are waiting to be but up!!

Phil reconfigured the curtain track so our new curtains will cover only the windows in the front and not the entire wall!!

I'll try to get pics on here soon. BTW... since we're from Minnesota, the fabric has blueberries (and pine trees on the pillows). Still have to cover the couch with denim... does it ever end!

Stay tuned....

P & E
Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #39

1998 34' Excella 1000
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to tjallin
Curtians

1986 27' Airstream Soverign
I removed all my curtians from my 86 Soverign and replaced them with Roman shades and aluminum blinds for accent. The roman shades come with a plastic rod to keep there shape so just remove the rods and replace with metal ones , then bend the rod to the shape of the window and presto your new blinds look great I hope this helped.
tjallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #40

1998 34' Excella 1000
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to tjallin
Hitch info needed for a 34'

I need to know what the proper torsion bars to use for a 34' and if any one has a set for sale.
Please email me with info.
tjallin is offline   Reply With Quote