Old 05-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
De-Eightyfying: Interior Redecoration

Three years since I bought my '90 25' Excella now. For a time I just about had myself convinced that I liked the 80's grandma interior, complete with floral wallpaper, faux wood paneling, Woolworth shades and curtains. After all, at 72 years of age I am a grandpa. But I've changed my mind and I'm ready to update things a bit, maybe to 2002 or so (the new trailer interiors really do look cool inside but they're a little too industrial for me, a little cold to my eye).

First thing to change are the faux wood panels. The cabinets are solid oak, pure 80's I know, but I like them. I've already replaced the original gold cabinet handles and hinges with nickel ones (saved the originals - I always save the original stuff). I think the cabinets will look nice contrasted with a soft off-white and I'm going to use that on the faux wood paneling and wallpaper.

Next I'm going to ditch the curtains, at least in the front areas of the trailer, and replace the Woolworth shades with OceanAir shades which will be a big improvement in functionality and looks. My wife is lobbying hard to hang blue gingham valences, maybe a little old fashioned, but I like it and she is a grandma after all.

Eventually a new floor, still thinking about that one. But I like the idea of using aluminum moulding strips.

I'll post pictures as we move along. Not going to win any awards but hopefully we end up with an interior better matched to our sensibilities.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
1988 29' Excella
Galway , New York
80's Interior

I just bought an '88 Excella and I am in the same boat trying to de-eighty the interior! I am starting with alot of the same ideas you are. Taking down the pale pink curtains made a huge difference for me. I am also planning on a laminate floor, but keeping the oak cabinets and such. I will be interested to see how we both make out! Good luck!

HorseVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have 2 of the late 80's trailers. Put a light colored floor in each. One laminated maple, one vinyl laminate. New, simpler curtains made a big difference. Would love to get rid of the brown vinyl surfaces on the cabinets but am afraid that anything I add might come out worse. Would love to see picture of yours when you have changed the cabinet vinyl. Loved the new classics. But greater love for the $115,000 difference in price to my old 32'. I seem to have enough trailer projects just to keep them functioning and dry inside without tearing up something just for appearance.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We loved our Flying Cloud interior with our own accents (and still do), but she and I were awakened when we saw the interior of the new Pendleton model. It brought to us the sense of travel, rustic lodges. No flamingos and neon colors here, rather a cabin in America's mountains and woods.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Changing cabinet hardware is a simple change.that's.yields big results. Getting rid of the brass is a great start!
V.2 is to remove all the horrid mauves, dusty pinks, baby blues!
you can add modern accents, uphulsteries, and lighting to completely change the feel
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I'm moving forward slowly. I installed the OceanAir shades in place of the original cheapo ones which was a big improvement. Next I think I'm going to paint the faux wood paneling. The solid oak cabinets show look good next to the right color.
John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
St Charles , Missouri
We have been trying our best to de-eightyfy our '86 Avion. I stepped back this weekend and laughed that it now looks more 60's-70's with clean lines and more exposed rich wood colors. But that works for us, our house is mostly mid-century modern. But we are in our mid-30's and luckily started decorating with that style before it was popular again.

Texfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote