Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Day/nite shades vs blinds?

I need some advice:
I'm not really a "drapery" kind of girl, although I plan on valances for the trailer. Looking at those day/nite shades sold at Camping World, and they also have blinds. Has anyone changed over to either one of these, and , if so, do you like them?
Based on how the windows open, and the fact that we like windows open at nite, I'm thinking about curtains that I could velcro closed in the bedroom area also... Or is there a better idea?
How do people deal with the rear bathroom window for privacy if you don't have drapes? Does window "etching" that you can buy and apply work well enough for daylight hours?
I'd love to hear what works and what doesn't! Everything is expensive and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars and then not like it (I won't hold anyone accountable for it).

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The Day/Nite shades in our 2007 are great!
Better than the mini-blinds in one of our Airstreams,
and better than the roller shades in yet another.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Our trailer has day/night shades and draperies in the front (except for the galley window which just has aluminum blinds) and diffuse shades and draperies in the bedroom. The day/night shades work extremely well and the drapes serve to frame the window and provide visual interest as well as providing a more absolute level of privacy when necessary. They velcro and snap shut.

I wish I had the day/night blinds in back, too.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Our trailer has day/night shades and draperies in the front (except for the galley window which just has aluminum blinds) and diffuse shades and draperies in the bedroom. The day/night shades work extremely well and the drapes serve to frame the window and provide visual interest as well as providing a more absolute level of privacy when necessary. They velcro and snap shut.

I wish I had the day/night shades in back, too.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
Smile

hi we just changed from day/night shades to blinds as the shades always 'bumped' out when open and we did not like the look . some of the guides broke and we could not open easily. we think they were getting old.
we just had the trailer refurbished and went with the blinds throughout in an off white. we had a safari before and i did not like the silver blinds. they would always come unhooked when traveling and they gaped at the sides and were not too good for privacy.

we kept the curtains as i like the look and they afforded more privacy we kept the valances.

i know it is a personal choice so be prepared for many variances.

good luck pat
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
So many choices....

I was there too, there were so many choices and all of them had pros and cons. I was of the mind like yourself that I liked the day / night option, however also wanted to aboid them from bumbingout like another member pointed out. Soooooo I took the road in the middle, I opted to have custom day night blinds made at a Lowes in a double cell for insulation in addition to the drapes which were custom tailored by J.P's. I ve attached a photo, maybe this will help some. I can tell you I LOVE the saylight that comes through, the privacy and the ability to lift them with a finger. The added beauty is the drapes give a little soft touch to them and hold them in place. The only draw back $$. But once over it, VERY pleased I did. Hope this helps or gives you some options at least
Cheers
ELF1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drape2.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	150178   Click image for larger version

Name:	drape1.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	150179  

Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I like the day/nighters too. I like the choices of level, coverage and combination that they offer as well as their insulating quality. I also think they are easier to keep clean with just a vacuuming instead of having to remove the blinds and wash them. The kitchen blinds I had kept popping off the bracket. Blinds as in the SE are also nice for directing light and raising and lowering with a sleeker appearance. However I don't like that you can still see in the sides without curtains. The shades I don't care for closed at all for their appearance. Just as was mentioned previously it is a matter of preference. I prefer soft to stark to define my space but do love looking at the other styles and think they are also quite attractive. We use the obscure window self stick covering in the bathroom in the CCD, results vary depending upon type selected and lighting.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
So we went ahead and bought night only double cellular shades that we could special order from menards. They came last week and look fantastic! At $1000 they'd better look good! Now......I'll have to work on valances and curtains. I had bought a roll of 8 yds of light blue and cream figured light weight upholstery fabric from an upholstery shop near us that was selling their extras out last fall. If they can be believed ( and I think so) it's $30/yd fabric normally that I got for $40 total. Now hopefully that will work! With the weather so weirdly warm I can start thinking about doing this sooner rather than later. And then there's the shower curtain in the bathroom...............

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote