Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
San Antonio , Texas
Cushions in Ocean Breeze

I am having a problem with the dinette cushions in my new 07 Ocean Breeze. It seems that the fabric slides forward and twists around the foam. Besides looking bad, it moves the velcro out of position, so the cushions do not stay in place while on the road. It is a real pain to try to pull the fabric back into place. Has anyone else experienced this situation, if so, what have you done to remedy it?
Thanks
Barry Parkof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Portland , Oregon
We are having the same issue in our Safari. I am considering ordering some fabric and having my neighbor, who performs magic with issues like this, make something new. In addition to sliding and twisting, even though I keep the blinds down when we are not in the rig, the upholstery has faded. If you look at a place hidden from the sun, it is a very different color from the exposed areas.

Good luck,

Pat
Furzwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
One of the covers on the dinette seat cushions in our Safari also slides; the other one doesn't. The offending one is on the curbside. It would seem someone at the factory makes these better than another does.

We also find once dirt gets on the fabric it is very hard to remove. The color is tan or oatmeal or something like that. My wife, the laundry expert (women have extra laundry genes), has used Woolite and then had to try something stronger and still wasn't happy with the results.

Our experience is that I get dirty setting up the trailer at a campground even though I use a tarp on the ground when attaching sewer lines, etc., and then the dirt gets transferred to the cushions. Being light colored, you can imagine the rest. Barb has placed a towel on the seat cushion I use to keep it clean, but that looks really tacky.

I'm thinking the best thing is to take all the covers off and dye them. My mother used to do that in the washing machine, but my wife is horrified at the idea of doing that and having dye possibly be transferred to the next load. Maybe it's better to dye it at a laundromat before they find out what we're doing; probably have to do it it another town. Maybe you can do it in the bathtub?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
As much as the OB colors nearly took out breath away when we first entered the TT, we didn't keep it once we purchased it. A decorator friend told us the material wasn't the best available and would give us problems so we selected a new color combination with much improved material and her seamstress made us totally new cushions - both the seat and seatback and the rounded part. We really like the looks and if I could figure out how to put pictures on the forums, I'd be happy to share our new interior. Some probably won't like it because it certainly is no longer an Ocean Breeze but we like it and think it looks great. And, we don't have any problem with the material sliding around the cushions. One day I'll figure out how to post some photos. Happy 'streaming in '09.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
San Antonio , Texas
cushions in OB

I am working with the dealer waiting to hear what they say about the problem. My first thought was to order some extra fabric, make self fabric buttons and sew them though both top and buttom to make it tufted looking. That should solve the proplem of the fabric shifting and slipping, but may also be the start of a new problem for dirt and dog hair to accumulate in the tuftings. Anyway if anyone has any thoughts, I would be appreciative.
thank you.
Barry
Barry Parkof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It's been our experience that the fabrics that AS uses on its cushions and curtains is not very good quality...they are flimsy, have no body, and don't hold up well to everyday wear and tear. You can practically see through the curtains and they do nothing to block light. There will always be a certain amount of "slippage" on cushions depending on how they are made and how they are used (if you tend to sit on the edge of a cushion, the fabric is more likely to slip), but it should not be a daily struggle to keep them in place...it can be minimized with a more appropriate fabric and a good fit. As to keeping some of Airstream's interior fabrics and color choices clean ... we often wonder what they were thinking.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I don't think the covers slipping is a major problem, although I've never seen it anywhere else. I think flimsy material is. I don't know whether the reason for the cushions getting dirty so fast is related to cheap fabric* or light colors or both. Yes the curtains are cheesy. Imagine trying to sleep when the sun is up as long as it is in Canada, even along the border, and certainly in Alaska? Are these the same materials in the Classics?

Maybe this thread should be renamed something like Lousy Fabric, Cheap Cushions, since it's more than the Ocean Breeze.

Gene

*remember when "fabric" was called "cloth"?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

I'm thinking the best thing is to take all the covers off and dye them. My mother used to do that in the washing machine, but my wife is horrified at the idea of doing that and having dye possibly be transferred to the next load. Maybe it's better to dye it at a laundromat before they find out what we're doing; probably have to do it it another town. Maybe you can do it in the bathtub?

Gene
It depends on the type of material as to if you can dye it. If it can be dyed then you can do it in the washing maching. It can also be done on the stove top if you have a large enough pot. The instructions are on the box of dye and when you are finished you need to run the washer for a full cycle (wash and rinse) with only water and bleach it to keep it from contaminating the next load of laundry. If I use extremly dark color dyes (black, dark green, etc) then I run two empty loads to clean the washer. I have recolored clothes/curtians many times with success but not upholstery.
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Smile Still Love the Breezy Interior

We got a 2008 OB in November of 2007, and the covers of the cushions have not slipped. More surprisingly the Velcro are still in place. We expected them to tear away from the covers on our first use.

The Velcro tabs on the curtains are likewise still in place.

Also, as far as I can tell there hasn't been excessive fading, anywhere.

Our problem has been with the bed spread. We had it dry cleaned as instructed, and it shrunk. Also, when we got it back from the dry cleaner there was a rust spot on it from the hanger they used. Unfortunately, we didn't notice the rust spot several weeks after it happened, and the dry cleaner is unwilling to take responsibility.

We still love the bright breezy colors of our OB.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There's a thread somewhere about the "300 lb. bedspread" insulting it. That's the white one that came with ours and I suppose most other trailers in recent years. We bought a Pendleton spread—lighter, fits better, better looking, just as warm—and got it on sale at a Pendleton store in Oregon.

Gene
Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There's a thread somewhere about the "300 lb. bedspread" insulting it. That's the white one that came with ours and I suppose most other trailers in recent years. We bought a Pendleton spread—lighter, fits better, better looking, just as warm—and got it on sale at a Pendleton store in Oregon.

Gene
Thanks for the suggestion.

We have looked for an alternative bedspread. The problem is finding one with the colors that go with the sort of weird blue in the curtains of the Ocean Breeze.

Maybe a dark brown would work. My wife continues to look.

SRW
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parkof View Post
I am having a problem with the dinette cushions in my new 07 Ocean Breeze. It seems that the fabric slides forward and twists around the foam. Besides looking bad, it moves the velcro out of position, so the cushions do not stay in place while on the road. It is a real pain to try to pull the fabric back into place. Has anyone else experienced this situation, if so, what have you done to remedy it?
Thanks
Barry... We've had a similar problem with our 2007 Safari. The velcro was putting a lot of stress on the cushion's fabric so we removed the velcro strips from the hard seat bottoms. We the purchased some of the rubber shelve liner and placed it in between the cushion and the solid seat bottom and the cushions now stay in place.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
High Quality Upholstery / Making Slipcovers

If you have had the opportunity to work with an upholsterer who does high quality work, she/he will always cover foam pieces with and under cover - usually unbleached muslin. This under cover is sewed shut (on a long seam, by hand) and the upholstery is then put on. The real problem with upholstery fabric isn't that it slips, but that it doesn't slip back to it's original position once your butt gets off of it. Having an inside cover reduces friction and wear on the foam. If the fabric gets twisted it's pretty easy to brush it back into place. ((and no I haven't bothered to do it to my coach yet)). I'll eventually custom upholster the whole thing, and do it then. For now, I vacuum the upholstery and use the upholstery tool to re-fluff the fabric and push it back into place.

If you want to get the upholstered cushion cover on easily, put the cushion in a big garbage bag, twist the open end around a vacuum cleaner hose, and suck out the air. Works just like a space bag. Do NOT seal the bag just twist it fairly tightly and hold it as you put it into the upholstery, and use a cheap garbage bag. The bag has to be oriented so that the twisted part goes into the far end of the upholstery piece. Once you've got the cushion inside, allow the bag to untwist (may need som encouragement). Yank the bag out - usually in two or more pieces.

Making slipcovers for an Airstream can be very easy - think of a fitted sheet. You'd probably want to be a bit neater at the corners, by making darts. Make the sides about 2 to 3 inches deeper than the cushions, and add elastic - or even a corded seam that you can tie on.

To be a bit more professional, you would cut a top piece, and separate side pieces which are sewed on, but the necessity of making a bottom piece and a zipper closure? A lot of work and expense IMHO. Here in Norfolk, I've found among the "old Norfolk" families, the norm used to be to put on white slip covers on all of the furniture every spring - before Air Conditioning, I imagine it was to protect the furniture from sweaty people.

Paula
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
It's true that AS does not use the greatest quality on interiors. They are watching their bottom line. We tossed our flimsy, see-through pieces of cloth on both of our panoramic windows. We had two sets of lined curtains made by Greg at AZBambi Decors and are thrilled with the excellent quality. We'll post pics of our drapes on the AZBambi Decors thread when we get a chance.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
It's true that AS does not use the greatest quality on interiors. They are watching their bottom line. We tossed our flimsy, see-through pieces of cloth on both of our panoramic windows. We had two sets of lined curtains made by Greg at AZBambi Decors and are thrilled with the excellent quality. We'll post pics of our drapes on the AZBambi Decors thread when we get a chance.
Thanks for the information regars to AZBambi Decors.

We will contact them regards to a new bed spread, and maybe more.

SRW
Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
I sent an email off to AZ Bambi Decors. They have a good looking web site, and I suppose that they are on the road, since they have not got back to me.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
SRW...

You were right...we were out on the road...at Roper Lake State Park near Safford, AZ...but we are back now and in touch with you via email...so we hope to be working with you soon on your needs!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Tucson , Arizona
We have a 2003 22' ccd and had problems with the cushions slipping. There is no velcro for the seats in that model year. Before trying anything more complicated I bought some of that non slip perforated, rubbery padding used under area rugs. I cut it to fit the entire seat base and the problem was solved - from constant irritation to "no worries" with very little cost or effort. Hope it works for you too.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
It's been our experience that the fabrics that AS uses on its cushions and curtains is not very good quality...they are flimsy, have no body, and don't hold up well to everyday wear and tear. You can practically see through the curtains and they do nothing to block light. There will always be a certain amount of "slippage" on cushions depending on how they are made and how they are used (if you tend to sit on the edge of a cushion, the fabric is more likely to slip), but it should not be a daily struggle to keep them in place...it can be minimized with a more appropriate fabric and a good fit. As to keeping some of Airstream's interior fabrics and color choices clean ... we often wonder what they were thinking.

TBRich,
I feel for you guys with these problems and hope you figure out a good solution. As far as saying flimsy, no body, and don't hold up well to everyday use, I don't see that for all Airstream models.
Most of my experience has been with an older Soverign model and now a new trailer, the quality of the cushions and curtains was very good and held up for over 20 years of traveling in the Soverign. It's too early to tell about the new trailer, but it looks to be better quality than the old trailer. I guess it all depends which model you choose to buy.
I would be unhappy to discover, after the fact, that what I purchased was sub par in the quality areas you mentioned.
Maybe a good solution would be to work a deal with A/S to upgrade your stuff because of the quality of what came with your model? I'll bet that for a fee they would be happy to do it. I'd ask for a reduced fee for all the trouble.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
TBRich,
I feel for you guys with these problems and hope you figure out a good solution. As far as saying flimsy, no body, and don't hold up well to everyday use, I don't see that for all Airstream models.
Most of my experience has been with an older Soverign model and now a new trailer, the quality of the cushions and curtains was very good and held up for over 20 years of traveling in the Soverign. It's too early to tell about the new trailer, but it looks to be better quality than the old trailer. I guess it all depends which model you choose to buy.
I would be unhappy to discover, after the fact, that what I purchased was sub par in the quality areas you mentioned.
Maybe a good solution would be to work a deal with A/S to upgrade your stuff because of the quality of what came with your model? I'll bet that for a fee they would be happy to do it. I'd ask for a reduced fee for all the trouble.
Bluto...Thanks, but it's not a problem for us...probelm solved...we have redone the interior of our Bambi several times over...we choose a different decor for every trip! See the "Inside Our Bambi" link in our signature...

You're right that older models seem to have started with better fabrics, etc...and they did last a long time...until sheer age caught up with them.

Happy trails!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI