Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
1974 27' Overlander
Dravosburg , Pennsylvania

I have a 1974 27' Land Yacht. How do I get the curtains off. They ride in a track on the top and bottom and I can't see how they come off. Any suggestion?

Gerald1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Originally Posted by Gerald1948 View Post
I have a 1974 27' Land Yacht. How do I get the curtains off. They ride in a track on the top and bottom and I can't see how they come off. Any suggestion?
Remove one of the ends of the tracks, both top and bottom, and slide them out.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Originally Posted by Victorialhq View Post
ok I am laying here in bed, DH is snoring and I can't sleep because I am looking at this bedroom with these curtains that go around the walls and it is like I have seen this fabric before and then I realize this fabric looks like the same as what was lining my grandmothers casket .. I can't have these things and feel like I am in a huge casket !!! So has anyone just got rid of these casket liners and gone with traditional like curtains and just put the over the windows and not the whole walls ???? If anyone has gone with reg like curtains how do you hang them ? Wondering why AS has the casket curtians
Try blinds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blinds.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	92049  
2007 Safari 25' FBSE LS
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4WD Duramax
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Texas Seniors
1975 31' Sovereign
Bryan , Texas
Curtains got to go

My drapes were ancient, have had the Land Yaucht 15 years. We have front living, twin walk thru bedroom and rear bath.

I took each drape off (you must unscrew rail and slide off end). Labeled each panel as to the position in the trailer. Measured each panel, they are different length on some windows, and removed the carriers (the little funny looking plastic things on elastic). Then went to a decorator store and found some great looking drapery fabric and went to work. I made the new drapes exactly like the old ones and hung them as they had come off the rails.

Putting the drapes on the rails in the correct order is tricky so remember how you took the old ones down. I purchased new plastic carriers ( Ebay)as when I started working with the old ones they were brittle and some broke. My Singer did not really like the thickness of making the pleats and I broke many heavy duty needles, finally learned to go very slowly and when the fabric was quite thick I hand turned the wheel, that way you can work the needle through the fabric slowly and it won't break. We wanted heavy fabric to help insulate, spent summer in Colorado and it still got cold. A lighter weight fabric would have been easier to sew but I did not want that.

The bathroom had a pull down shade, I took that off and installed round rods on top and bottom and made a matching drape. We have a drape that hangs to give privacy to the bedroom, don't know if that came with the unit or previously installed, it hangs from a curtain rod and I used the bedspread matching fabric.

When this was over I had to have matching bedspread so I purchased cordinating color fabric for that.

After all this done I had spent three days and was totally exhausted from the project but it was definitely worth the time. I priced drapes on internet, my project cost about $300, much less than internet prices.

Now I have everything color cordinated and I made it!
Texas Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We ditched the curtains from inside our 78 Ambassador as one of the first 'update' projects...

We also didn't think much of the 'coffin lining' look in the bedroom...just down right creepy.... Maybe these 'coffin' curtains are a holdover from those hearses that AS made...

Our curtains weren't in particularly bad shape, but they seemed to hold some old stale odors that had to go (along with the old original carpet!!!)...we did clean the two curtains mounted inside the front curved side windows and reinstalled to cover those areas...

We went with the Oceanair pull down shades from the mother ship - a bit pricey, but they do a good job of insuring some privacy at night!
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1996 25' Excella
Tallahassee , Florida

I took 70 percent of my curtains and track down. Rehung or moved some. The curtains I have now cover the windows and allow you to rest your head against the wall when laying on the couch and sofa. I used some Velcro on a couple of places to keep the curtains tight against the wall. On the window by the door I put up a new shade and then used a long piece of velcro across the shade to pull it against the window (at night). hope this helps, Richard
jasper2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
well since hubby was in the hospital so long and our wonderful Yorkie had run of the trailer for most of the days he decided that he would take the curtains down for us ... so think I will go with the blinds and some curtains I found at Pier 1 and use velcro .... so anyone needing curtains removed let me know and you can borrow our dog
Victorialhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
I have been thinking about making this same change for some time... actually, long enough now that the rods I wanted have been discontinued. My only concern with adding curtains that do not extend along the walls is that, when they are slid open, the bulk will *encroach* on the view through the window. When they open along the wall, I get that great, unobstructed view. Compromises.....
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just found this thread and couldn't stop laughing for a while. I hope I forget about the casket by the time we go camping again.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote