Old 03-17-2003, 05:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Originally posted by Marshall44
Thanks Shari:

I understand. Yes, I'm going for the same weight curtains. Did you reupholster also? My friend doing the curtains swears he can do the cushions as well. Would you allow someone to do that or would you have it done professionally?

I'm taking a couple of designers with my to pick out fabric for both. Since I'm getting only a 16' Bambi, it all needs to be light and bright, but solid and substantial. Maybe something quassi retro. Turquoise?

Lastly, I'm replacing the ugly brown carpet with cork tile and a sisel runner, which will be really cosy. Projects projects projects. I can hardly wait to get started.

Thanks so much for your help.

Like anything sewing is more a matter of right tools and a little education. If you have the existing cushions and they are somewhat intact then you have 95% of the hard work done. My mother and I redid the seats in a Audi one time. Since we had the original covers it was simply a matter of seeing how it was done at the factory, carfully cutting out the original stiches. Once the original fabric was seperated that became our patterns for the new fabric. Cut the new fabric to the same shapes and stitch it back together.
As long as your friend has enough machine to handle the fabric your wanting then no reason they couldn't make new covers. Your typical home sewing machine is simply not strong enough for heavy fabric upolstery used for stuff like couches. Some of the better ones can handle it but that's a farily expensive machine.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
simply a matter of seeing how it was done at the factory, carfully cutting out the original stiches. Once the original fabric was seperated that became our patterns for the new fabric. Cut the new fabric to the same shapes and stitch it back together
True...unfortunately, we washed our covers to get all the disintegrated foam off and they shrank & fell apart. If you are going to make your own, you may need to make an intermediate pattern to keep from soiling your new fabric.

Also keep in mind that if your fabric is heavier or lighter than the "original" it will fit differently. There is also the matter of getting heavy duty 72"+ zippers. The pros have zippers in a spool & a cool machine that puts it all together perfectly in whatever length is needed.

I was fortunate (& picky), my seamstress let me help/watch....and she didn't even seem bothered by me, nor did she charge me extra.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote