Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Curtain elastic. Is it special or off-the-shelf?

Hi all:
I'm replacing curtains in a 1986 Sovereign, and all the G-glide plastic parts are reusable. I had an existing replacement pack of G-glides and matched elastic from the previous owner, probably a factory purchase.

I just need much more elastic. I don't want to order 14 strips for $5 or $8 just to get the replacement elastic. I went to the fabric store locally, but the elastic available there is stretchier than the factory official. Is there a source for this heavy duty elastic? Yes, I've searched the internet.

Or is this something that isn't important? Just use whatever. Would love to hear your perspective from experience. Thank you, this is a fantastic resource.
Thanks!
joevdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevdb View Post
Hi all:
I'm replacing curtains in a 1986 Sovereign, and all the G-glide plastic parts are reusable. I had an existing replacement pack of G-glides and matched elastic from the previous owner, probably a factory purchase.

I just need much more elastic. I don't want to order 14 strips for $5 or $8 just to get the replacement elastic. I went to the fabric store locally, but the elastic available there is stretchier than the factory official. Is there a source for this heavy duty elastic? Yes, I've searched the internet.

Or is this something that isn't important? Just use whatever. Would love to hear your perspective from experience. Thank you, this is a fantastic resource.
Thanks!
When custom drapes were made for my AS used elastic from fabric store not as durable but can live with it.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Try Fabrics.com, 1/2 braided elastic white, 0310486 is a very close match. We used something like 20 yards of it thus far.

Working on a different AS in 1993 we ordered from a Boise dealer AS G-tabs with elastic and still have a sample, it is stiffer than the current AS repair parts store.

Any elastic will wear out if it is over-stressed, in this case this can occur due to the sewing or use.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Kalamazoo , Michigan
featherbedder, sgschwend, Thanks for the tip.. your report is about what I expected--not as durable, but acceptable.
J
joevdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
The Fabrics.com material listed by part number matches the elastic received from Vintage trailer supply, who have good prices for the clips.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
AS factory store sells the package. I just needed the elastic but I found that the new slides were useful since the plastic slides do get brittle and you don't want to install new elastic ,then find out the slide breaks sometime after all the work of removing the curtains and doing the repairs. Change them all at the same time.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
The Fabrics.com material listed by part number matches the elastic received from Vintage trailer supply, who have good prices for the clips.
Have ordered the G slides several times from Vintage Trailer Supply and they have the best prices. $7.49 for 25 slides inc. elastic. I just received two more pkgs. for drapes I am making for the change of seasons. I have made 4 sets of panoramic drapes and am finishing a set now for the rear panoramic dinette area. Fun to make and enjoy having a change. Airstream charges a lot more for the slides.

I make two panels extra wide for good fullness. So I use 24 slides per panel.
The full drapes hang perfectly and give the trailer a more elegant feel.
They are easy to make, you do need a wide table.