Old 02-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
THEODORE , Alabama
The reason they don't recommend using Greased Lightning on aluminum is that it has <2% NaOH{Sodium Hydroxide} or caustic. This produces hydrogen gas when it reacts. Although I think at these concentrations, you haven't got a lot to worry about. Anyone that has ever used beach has smelled worst.

WUZENTME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
1973 31' Sovereign
Gladwin , Michigan
After you get those walls clean states to use Future Floor Wax on the walls to keep them from getting sticky's an Arcrylic Finish so I am thinking it would work...
Happy Camping

belgiandraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Paula please further define your Big no-no
That is; What did the Simple Green do to it?
It puts a permanent haze on it - like frosted glass vs. clear. Just eats the finish. I'm not even going to try it on anything with plasticoat which might protect the aluminum, but on the bare stuff, one squirt - game over. I've tried polishing that piece with a dremel and a cotton pad. No avail. Next time I'm In Jackson Center I'll replace the trim.

I've found that the big bunch of blue microfiber shop towels are fast becoming my best household helpers. They absorb a huge amount of water from spills, they wring out very dry - but you've got to do a lot of wringing, they aren't abrasive to exterior aluminum like a brush might be, and they take off that shadow layer of crud that a touchless car wash leaves behind. They are quite effective even without any detergent. I use them for everything inside. Microfiber cloths are great with Windex or ammonia on glass (watch out for the ammonia on aluminum and on plastics refrain from using both). My "floor mop" is a microfiber towel and my right foot.

The things absorb so much water that I sewed three together for peronal use. When I get out of the shower I turban my hair with this contraption and cut my blow drying time by 2/3. Then it hit me, this would work to wash the top of the Airstream! (Then reality hit again and I remembered I can pay someone else to do that.) Kitchen counters, surface wipedowns, whatever. I like it when one tool has many uses!

However when I clean the plastic toilet - I use a small amount of dish detergent and a paper towel (no rubber glove - be honest, do you wear one when you wipe your butt? If not, Hmmmm... the difference in eeuwee factor is?).

I washed "Queen Mary" my truck yesterday afternoon. Got a big bucket (recycled cat litter bucket) filled it with warm water and took about a dozen shop towels outside. Soak one towel, slop down the hood.. no pressure, just let the wet towel do it's thing, wring towel out over hood, repeat with a clean towel if really really dirty, wet and wring a clean towel, and lightly wipe down hood, rewet towel and proceed to next section. Stop when truck is clean or all towels are dirty. Take towels to laundry and wash. Finish truck the next day if you didn't get the whole thing done with a dozen towels. For Bugs, wet a towel in a mild detergent solution and drape over the affected area - ignore for 10 minutes, then try washing as usual. For tar, etc. try WD 40 or go hang out at the auto shop and ask for help from that cute 60 something manager.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1966 20' Globetrotter
2001 30' Classic S/O
Shoreview , Minnesota
Be careful using Krud Kutter on woodwork. It will remove the finish, which (I think) is a lacquer. Since the finish in our 1966 GTrotter is marked up this is an advantage for me. I am recoating the wood with a Minwax wipe-on stain. (That will be all the woodwork finishing I will do this year. If I like the results, I'll varnish it all next year. Got to ration this renovation stuff or we will never get out of the driveway.) but if you want to preserve the finish you have, be warned!
djs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:06 AM   #19
Yerevan , Yerevan
I've seen once that as a cleaning method lemon also can be used. Have you tried that ? Does it really work?

Rozi95 is offline   Reply With Quote