Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Ottawa , Ontario
Talking Converting 66-30 ft Sovereign twins to double or queen?

Does anyone have info or details on how to convert. I can post pictures in about a week of the existing setup which I would like to modify. I am not large on sleeping on the bed up front and would prefer to move midship. My wife would shoot me if I suggested sleeping in the two singles. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
A simple table that folds up, will fit between the two beds. At night put it in place, then inflate a really nice queen air bed to fit over this platform. You have to crawl over the bed to go to the bathroom. In the morning, you can deflate the bed, simply fold once or twice and set on one of the beds. Put the little table on the other bed, and you have your hallway back. Ta-da! We do this with the dinette up front, but it's a real pain to tear down and set up each day. Yours will be so much easier.

Get the best air bed you can and get the 12 volt version. That way you can inflate if your boondocking. You could also just tilt the mattress out of the way in the daytime, too, it's light enough.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Midnight. We have a 1979 Argosy 30' we are changing from twin beds to queen, I don't really have any plans, just make them up as I go but you are not that far from us if you wanted to come over one weekend and trade ideas. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Ottawa , Ontario
It already can slide into a double

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
A simple table that folds up, will fit between the two beds. At night put it in place, then inflate a really nice queen air bed to fit over this platform. You have to crawl over the bed to go to the bathroom. In the morning, you can deflate the bed, simply fold once or twice and set on one of the beds. Put the little table on the other bed, and you have your hallway back. Ta-da! We do this with the dinette up front, but it's a real pain to tear down and set up each day. Yours will be so much easier.

Get the best air bed you can and get the 12 volt version. That way you can inflate if your boondocking. You could also just tilt the mattress out of the way in the daytime, too, it's light enough.
Thanks for the info but the twins slide out already and create a double. I hate having to climb over it all the time to go to the washroom etc. What I would prefer is to be able to do is somehow modify so it works with a double instead of two singles that slide into a double. I am not as spry as I used to be. I saw a picture of one with a double on vintage airstreams I just cannot see it very well as small older picture. Soooooo if I could find someone who has already done it or knows someone who has either see their pictures or their plans.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Ottawa , Ontario
Do yours slide into a double?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Midnight. We have a 1979 Argosy 30' we are changing from twin beds to queen, I don't really have any plans, just make them up as I go but you are not that far from us if you wanted to come over one weekend and trade ideas. Marvin
Mine slide into a double but I hate climbing over to go to the washroom in the middle of the night. I saw a model with a double at Vintage Airstreams but it is a small picture which I cannot see much in the way of details. Hence I was hoping I could find someone who had done it already and could post pictures or I could see their plans. Thanks for the invite but we are never near Peterborough.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
There isn't room in the width of the vintage AS to do that without climbing over, unless you remove one of the bed frames and squeek by around the side. There just isn't the room. A double bed is 54", a queen is 60" wide. The Exterior is what, 88"? Inside at the shell is probably 82-84". Then a little curving in at bed height, call it 80". That leaves you 26" on the side for a double. So you need to remove the bed on the other wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight
Mine slide into a double but I hate climbing over to go to the washroom in the middle of the night. I saw a model with a double at Vintage Airstreams but it is a small picture which I cannot see much in the way of details. Hence I was hoping I could find someone who had done it already and could post pictures or I could see their plans. Thanks for the invite but we are never near Peterborough.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote