Originally Posted by lisapye
Hi Splitrock, I like your train of thought, but what did you figure out to be step 2? Did you replace them or figure out another fix? Thanks so much... Lisa
If you followed my blog you saw I had the rear end cap out to heat and roll out an exterior skin dent. The rear cap didn't have any cracks, just yellowed, so I put it back in with no problems. I expect at a later date I'll mask it off and paint it.
The front cap has that molded storage cabinet with the tambour doors. It's stress cracked but it's fine and functional. To paint that one I'd have to remove it, fiberglass the back side, fill the cracks, and reinstall it. I may do that. I had thought of just applying headliner material on the front cap.
My plan was to do all the repairs and maintenance, seal the exterior seams, install a new air conditioner, new power roof vents, replace all the appliances, replace the plumbing, and install new fixtures before I installed new floor covering and built new wall panels for the center bath.
Now I'm building cabinets, new closets, new countertops, and installing new furniture. Next season I'll strip the exterior, replace the awning, and add rock guards. Dealing with both caps will come later in my project. Maybe not even next year.
My goal was to have the trailer ready to take a little trip this fall but my wife says she's not interested in being associated with the trailer until it's stripped and buffed. That buys her another year and lets me use the trip money for more shop tools. :-)