Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Cleaning Fuzzy Interior Walls??

The interior walls of my 97 Excella are covered with some kind of "fuzzy" cloth, (nylon or polyester I'm guessing). Does anyone know a good way to clean them? Everything we've tried doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile I'd love to hear what other folks are trying

Hi Steve,
We have a fuzzy wall too for our 96 excella, white fuzz that is. So on the advice of the forum I've been trying oxyclean on the dark spots. It works, but it takes several applications (I'm at 14 x on one spot, once daily for 2 weeks) and I don't recommend scrubbing too hard cause the fuzz comes off. So elbow grease isn't the solution here.

I'm seeing limited results, but I was told it takes many applications. I just used the powdered oxyclean mixed with water, spray it on, dab off extra stuff.

I'd love to hear other methods.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Hummm. One definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over expecting different results."

You must be getting some results. Right?

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Smile Yes its working, slowly on the big spots

Hey my favorite line from "Start the Revolution without me" was
'crazy, I'll show you crazy'

Yeah it does work, gradually, but I should have explained it better, the long black streaks on the inside, some are super dark(caused by oxidation?) and take more work--its not my favorite pastime but I don't like the place looking dirty. The minor marks came off great. The big spots take more work.

I'd love to hear about a better product/way to do it.
Inland Andy? Anyone?

I had an evil thought of using white shoepolish ...shh I think hubby would call the whitecoats if I did that!!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Carpet Cleaner?

I'm wondering if a commercial carpet cleaning spot remover would work? We've had very good results with Chem-day. They could steam clean your carpet, upholstery and have a go at the "rag" on your walls too.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
the long black streaks on the inside, some are super dark(caused by oxidation?) and take more work-- The minor marks came off great. The big spots take more work. I'd love to hear about a better product/way to do it.

I had an evil thought of using white shoepolish ...shh I think hubby would call the whitecoats if I did that!!
often those long black streaks are exactly as you've suggested, aluminum oxidation. the surest way to bring the black streaks to surface is by vacumning the walls.....a real no no.

i suspect steam would only weaken the adhesive and any vacumn device will make this discoloration worse over panel seams and rivets...

it is virtually impossible to remove this aluminum oxide....

i've wondered if one of the watery liquid 'tarnex' like products sprayed or dabbed on might instantly remove the oxidation marks....but i haven't tried this and don't know what if any negatives might result.

some one want to try a spot and report back?

shoe polish.....no,
but i have seen the wall fabric sprayed with color and some excellent results....somewhat like dyeing carpet.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Smile Perhaps some dye

Thanks for the idea 2air, I'm going to see about some white dye for those streaks and try it on an inconspicuous spot, I know just the one...that just may be the ticket!

I'm not too sure about tarnex stuff, I think I'd go with the shoe polish first! Fewer carcinogens in shoe polish right?

I have tried rubbing on carpet spot remover, greased lightning, etc. Haven't vacuumed the walls so I'm glad you told me that's not a great idea.

Maybe Jax Ctr would have some info or the guys on the VAP?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I had pretty good luck with this method as Steph shared....check out this thread...

http://airstreamforums.com/forums/219660-post43.html
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Smile Yes I stole the idea from enduroryda!

Thanks it does work, I may have worse problems than others, well I mean fuzzy wall problems!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yes, try a professional carpet cleaner. They can clean all your carpets, and upholstery while there. Be sure they test and identify all textiles first (the sign of a true professional). I own a CC business and would clean an entire interior for not much $. Should not really take to long to do the whole camper...
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Smile Emailed the mother ship at Jackson Center and...

Heard back from JC Service Center in an email, the gist was go ahead and try many things, especially something along the lines of oxyclean so there we have it, kudos and thanks again for the tip enduroryda!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
A fire axe used liberly!!! Several of us have used everything we can think of to no avail. It may lighten it some after 3.145 times 10 to the 9th power applications, and I'm almost there. I just call it character markes, anyone that has an Airstream with this wall covering knows about it. Oxidation is the bad boy. If anyone hits on a product that works please make a brand new thread. This ugly stuff is not a water stain the 02 cleaners work pretty good on its just plain bad.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
90's models have FUZZY stuff on the walls? Wow! My '79 has STICKY STUFF. You all should consider yourself kind of lucky.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
My smooth vinyl panels were the lea brea tarpits for gnats and no-see-ums. They were-are quite sticky when heat and humidity are up, and the pleasent weave effect on them was actually 1,000's of tiny winged insects that made it through the screens...

OxyClean? I got a grease spot the shoulder of an Izod Polo shirt, tried a dab of oxyclean on it and next morning the stain was gone, but so was the fabric.
Beware oxidizers will eat most anything, some faster than others...
Old 05-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Yes-oxidizers will (re) activate most any solution (including dyes). They may be used liberally, but must always be flushed (water) thoroughly.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Look here...

The fuzzy material on your interior walls is called Ozite Rib Fabric. If you go to their website you'll be able to find cleaning tips.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #17
_

. , .
thanks mello mike for reminding us of the name, i had forgotten...

isn't the web great........

here are the cleaning instructions for a plethora of stains......
http://www.hytex.com/pdf/oziterib_cleaning.pdf

with each cleaning agent and method listed.....
i particularly like the excrement cleaning tips.....
and other 'human stains'......

of course these cleaning instuctions cannot account for the latex backing or the glue that airstream uses, or the aluminum skin to which it is applied....
rust is covered...but no mention of our precious metal.....

so while all of the solvents/detergents/cleaning agents
may be compatible with the polypropolene fibers.....
they may not play nice with the backing or glue.....
ya think?

and no where is vacumning mentioned.....
and i can suggest from personal experience that too much suction.....
will give the fabric dark hickies.......
that are vexing to remove...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:53 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Fuzzy wall covering

The material on the wall is called OZITE. We have a 94 excella that had the same problem. We ended up purchasing the material, tearing all of it out and then replacing it. No one has come up with a why it happened yet, but it may have something to do with the cooking vent not being opened when cooking. Or it may be a form of black mold. Check out your ac unit. It may be all "blacked up" also. If so, you may have to replace it too. I did.

Check out my pics at

http://homepage.mac.com/pedrugge/PhotoAlbum3.html
PhiDor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2002 16' Bambi
mountain view , California
Red face cleaning grey steaks/stains

Hi Everyone,

I wish I'd seen this thread before I started cleaning our new/2002 Bambi! >=^ P I've since learned from this website that the grey streaks that were on the fuzzy walls are the result of oxidation, and not from something gross like mold! What a relief!

Never-the-less, there were quite a few very disturbing stains, usually along a rivet (?) or outside seam. One, near the galley was perfectly round about 8" in diameter.

Here is what worked: After experimenting, I discovered that 409 did well, but it was laborious and required a lot of rinsing, and took a long time. I then bought a "Little Green Bissell Deep Cleaning" machine (@ $70 at Walmart) and found that removed much of the stain at the first pass.

But, generally, I began by squirting the area with 409, then worked it into the fiber from all directions. I saved my finger from this job by using the top from a plastic Clorox Bleach pen (still capped on the tube.) Then after the bubbles started to look grey, I sprayed/vaacumed with the Bissell. Most stains took 3 passes, and I learned to wait 1 day just to see how things looked when dry. The machine helped by re-wetting the area and then removes water before it has a chance to run down behind the fabric.

Finally, with very stubborn areas, I resorted to the Bleach Pen itself...I dabbed it on waited only a few seconds, and then Little Greened it away. These areas were slightly yellow the next day, so I rinsed using the Bissell and the area looked good once again.

Frankly, I got a bit bored and left a few pale streaks that are barely noticeable....most people don't see them at all.

Lastly, in an attempt to personalize Little Lulu, I used straight pins in order to mount a pretty beaded placemat in the kitchen area, and another fiber artwork over the front couch. HA.... that in itself would hide a bad stain. I figure I can't have invented something new, but I'm mentioning it as a reminder that obscuring the stain is another solution :-j.

Hope this helps somebody else.

L
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:07 AM   #20
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Those little spot steam cleaners can do a pretty good job. Soak the stain with oxy-clean and water solution, let it sit 5 min, extract with the steam cleaner. If it is a nasty stain you may have to repeat MANY times. When the stain is gone, repeat this process with plain water to rinse out well.
A little trade secret; oxy-clean is the carpet/textile cleaners best friend. This stuff can get out just about any stain. Be sure to rinse well when done...