Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yes-oxidizers will (re) activate most any solution (including dyes). They may be used liberally, but must always be flushed (water) thoroughly.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Look here...

The fuzzy material on your interior walls is called Ozite Rib Fabric. If you go to their website you'll be able to find cleaning tips.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #17
_

. , .
thanks mello mike for reminding us of the name, i had forgotten...

isn't the web great........

here are the cleaning instructions for a plethora of stains......
http://www.hytex.com/pdf/oziterib_cleaning.pdf

with each cleaning agent and method listed.....
i particularly like the excrement cleaning tips.....
and other 'human stains'......

of course these cleaning instuctions cannot account for the latex backing or the glue that airstream uses, or the aluminum skin to which it is applied....
rust is covered...but no mention of our precious metal.....

so while all of the solvents/detergents/cleaning agents
may be compatible with the polypropolene fibers.....
they may not play nice with the backing or glue.....
ya think?

and no where is vacumning mentioned.....
and i can suggest from personal experience that too much suction.....
will give the fabric dark hickies.......
that are vexing to remove...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Fuzzy wall covering

The material on the wall is called OZITE. We have a 94 excella that had the same problem. We ended up purchasing the material, tearing all of it out and then replacing it. No one has come up with a why it happened yet, but it may have something to do with the cooking vent not being opened when cooking. Or it may be a form of black mold. Check out your ac unit. It may be all "blacked up" also. If so, you may have to replace it too. I did.

Check out my pics at

http://homepage.mac.com/pedrugge/PhotoAlbum3.html
Old 08-31-2006, 12:11 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2002 16' Bambi
mountain view , California
Red face cleaning grey steaks/stains

Hi Everyone,

I wish I'd seen this thread before I started cleaning our new/2002 Bambi! >=^ P I've since learned from this website that the grey streaks that were on the fuzzy walls are the result of oxidation, and not from something gross like mold! What a relief!

Never-the-less, there were quite a few very disturbing stains, usually along a rivet (?) or outside seam. One, near the galley was perfectly round about 8" in diameter.

Here is what worked: After experimenting, I discovered that 409 did well, but it was laborious and required a lot of rinsing, and took a long time. I then bought a "Little Green Bissell Deep Cleaning" machine (@ $70 at Walmart) and found that removed much of the stain at the first pass.

But, generally, I began by squirting the area with 409, then worked it into the fiber from all directions. I saved my finger from this job by using the top from a plastic Clorox Bleach pen (still capped on the tube.) Then after the bubbles started to look grey, I sprayed/vaacumed with the Bissell. Most stains took 3 passes, and I learned to wait 1 day just to see how things looked when dry. The machine helped by re-wetting the area and then removes water before it has a chance to run down behind the fabric.

Finally, with very stubborn areas, I resorted to the Bleach Pen itself...I dabbed it on waited only a few seconds, and then Little Greened it away. These areas were slightly yellow the next day, so I rinsed using the Bissell and the area looked good once again.

Frankly, I got a bit bored and left a few pale streaks that are barely noticeable....most people don't see them at all.

Lastly, in an attempt to personalize Little Lulu, I used straight pins in order to mount a pretty beaded placemat in the kitchen area, and another fiber artwork over the front couch. HA.... that in itself would hide a bad stain. I figure I can't have invented something new, but I'm mentioning it as a reminder that obscuring the stain is another solution :-j.

Hope this helps somebody else.

L
Old 08-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #20
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Those little spot steam cleaners can do a pretty good job. Soak the stain with oxy-clean and water solution, let it sit 5 min, extract with the steam cleaner. If it is a nasty stain you may have to repeat MANY times. When the stain is gone, repeat this process with plain water to rinse out well.
A little trade secret; oxy-clean is the carpet/textile cleaners best friend. This stuff can get out just about any stain. Be sure to rinse well when done...
Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #21
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Will try the little green machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach
Lastly, in an attempt to personalize Little Lulu, I used straight pins in order to mount a pretty beaded placemat in the kitchen area, and another fiber artwork over the front couch. HA.... that in itself would hide a bad stain. I figure I can't have invented something new, but I'm mentioning it as a reminder that obscuring the stain is another solution :-j.Hope this helps somebody else.L
Thanks everyone for the tips, I will get out the little green and test it on the most stubborn spots. I'm still working on a really bad spot, I may resort to covering it up with throw pillows or something on the wall great tip. I've had good luck with the oxyclean on some spots, is there a better ratio of powder/water Bill Tex--besides what's listed on the container?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2002 16' Bambi
mountain view , California
Definition of "pass"

Oh Hi again,

One night i woke and realized I should define, "pass" in my earlier post. I don't want to make this seem easier than it was.....by pass, I really should say session. It took 3 working sessions of about 3-4 hours each to remove the stains.

linda