Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
San Antonio , Texas
Cleaning cushion covers????

I have a 2007 Safari FB SE. My Cushions are looking pretty bad and need a good cleaning. I pulled everything of and need to know can I just wash on gentle and hang dry or do the need to be dry cleaned. Also did anyone have any bad experiences doing this??
AJUNEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've not cleaned the cushions in an Airstream, but I have washed by hand in a tub with OxiClean, quite a few Airstream curtains, with good success.

I have spot washed with water a coffee spill on our upholstery with no issues, but that's not to guarantee we have the same type of fabric.

I would suggest you contact Airstream with your trailer's information to get their thoughts on your question.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I should n't admit this but I have washed the covers on my sofas, all upholsted pieces that I can strip off and drapes in my Airstream in the wash machine w cold water and minimal detergent & oxi clean. My key is to damp dry on a light heat in the dryer and immediately stretch over the cushions to finish drying. Works like a charm and I have done this many times. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
I should n't admit this but I have washed the covers on my sofas, all upholsted pieces that I can strip off and drapes in my Airstream in the wash machine w cold water and minimal detergent & oxi clean. My key is to damp dry on a light heat in the dryer and immediately stretch over the cushions to finish drying. Works like a charm and I have done this many times. Good luck.
You know, this was exactly my thought. . Everything is synthetic these days.

I used to do this with cushion covers on the couch in our stick house. The key is cold water, in my experience.

If your cushions are light covered, oxyclean is a miracle product.

If they are dark, I would use just a dab of Cheer Dark or something similar to forestall any bleeding of color.

I used to vacuum thoroughly and then damp wipe with water and a bit of oxyclean the upholstery in or first RV, a 77 . Vacuum again once completely dry. Did a wonderful job of cleaning and deodorizing. The previous owner was a heavy smoker.

The other thing you could try is a carpet cleaner product. One of those that is dampish in the container, you brush it in and vacuum when dry. Those work very well.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
I have cleaned spots in place and used a wet/dry vac to clear the rinse water form the area ... never done the whole cushion cover, however ... likely depends a great deal upon the fabric type.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
San Antonio , Texas
I do not know the exact material type - Looks like cotton like the heavy drape material.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Ditto, we did the same with good results.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
San Antonio , Texas
Well I gained some courage and spotted them and put them in the machine on gentle. I did not let them fully dry and put them back on damp and all went perfect. They look new again and tomorrow I will apply the scotch guard. Thanks again for the help!!!!