Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Carpet replacement in bedroom

The carpet in our 28' Safari only exists in the bedroom and we enjoy the warmth it provides when we get up but it is wearing out and we need to replace it. Since the carpet extends under the bed and wardrobes, we are wondering if we need to remove all the furniture before recarpeting or if we can cut out the worn sections and carpet up to the furniture. I am also having a difficult time figuring out if I need to remove the trim and, if so, how to do it. I do not see any evidence of nails, screws, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We replaced the carpet in our 02 Safari 25B (Queen sideways in rear). We liked having carpet in the bedroom area but at the same time are very concerned about how carpet can hide leaks, retain water, and cause a more rapid wood rot.

We removed the bed frame and bed side cabinet. We removed all of the carpet we could (we did not removed any bulkheads or doing any other major removals... except the couch). The bed platform in our AS does not open up as some models do. There is some space under the bed that is accessible from the inside and a much larger area that is accessible through an outside hatch.

We reinstalled the bed and side cabinet on the bare floor and we then installed carpet padding and new carpet around the bed and inside the compartments that are accessible from inside the AS. We did not tack down the carpet or padding. The only point of attachment for the carpet and pad is the threshold transition from the bedroom to the hallway / galley plank floor. We installed the carpet in this fashion so that we could routinely monitor the floor for any signs of leaks by simply pulling up the perimeter of the carpet. We did not carpet the large storage that is accessed through the outside hatch. Carpet in this area just seems like a good way to collect dirt and further hide leaks.

I do not claim to be an expert. I am just explaining what we did and our logic for why we did it.

Good luck.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote