Old 10-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Carpet install advice...

After reading many helpful posts, we have decided to go with carpet. My husband likes the warmth adn comfort that you cacn't get with a Pergo type floor. Our 310 was refurbished 10 years ago, so the original has been cut away already.

I read one post about carpet tiles and the photos looked great. On the other hand I have also read stories about them popping up due to temp changes, and I can't see how they would wrap aroung the doghouse.

We can use the existing carpet as a template once it is out. I have read that an electric staple gun is important but I have a few questions.

1) Is there a best procedure, such as "take care of the cockpit/doghouse first" etc...

2) Is it necessary to remove the Jack knife sofa? The current carpet runs up the toe kick along the sofa and below kitchen counters, so it doesn't seem they took it out.

3) What tips can you share that we likely haven't considered? (I do know about watching pile height at door openings. We will be looking for a quality commercial carpet that is low pile and flexible--to go over that doghouse).

4) Are there any photos I have yet to find that show a carpet installation?

Thanks for your help!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr
After reading many helpful posts, we have decided to go with carpet. My husband likes the warmth adn comfort that you cacn't get with a Pergo type floor. Our 310 was refurbished 10 years ago, so the original has been cut away already.

I read one post about carpet tiles and the photos looked great. On the other hand I have also read stories about them popping up due to temp changes, and I can't see how they would wrap aroung the doghouse.

We can use the existing carpet as a template once it is out. I have read that an electric staple gun is important but I have a few questions.

1) Is there a best procedure, such as "take care of the cockpit/doghouse first" etc...

2) Is it necessary to remove the Jack knife sofa? The current carpet runs up the toe kick along the sofa and below kitchen counters, so it doesn't seem they took it out.

3) What tips can you share that we likely haven't considered? (I do know about watching pile height at door openings. We will be looking for a quality commercial carpet that is low pile and flexible--to go over that doghouse).

4) Are there any photos I have yet to find that show a carpet installation?

Thanks for your help!
Replacing the carpet was one of the first things I did after buying our Airstream. I replaced the carpet in the bedroom and front, leaving the existing hardwood in the galley area, but replacing the carpet under the dinette there. Since the carpet was installed prior to interior walls, etc. I went ahead and removed the beds in back, and the gaucho, credenza and TV tables in the front. Hardest part about the whole deal was where to put it all during the carpet installation. Didn't even need to use a stretcher (two years and no wrinkling so far) but the pneumatic staple gun was a must have. Only cabinet I didn't remove was the cedar lined closet. I'd expect your 310 will be similar. Removing the sofa is no big deal, and I think you'll be a lot happier with the results as opposed to just cutting around things...

Ultimately, in another 5 to ten years I may pull it out and go all hard surface flooring, but that's a ways off... and I've been happy with the wear of what I've installed thus far.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
We replaced the carpet in our 78 Excella 31 last spring. Heres are some notes that may help you (If you havent dont yours installed already)

1. We used a thick pile residential grade carpet (and had no problems with doors etc opening)
2. The original carpet was used as a template. (cut the carpet upside down, with the original carpet on top of it + upside down for tracing)
3. Get a Professional carpet knife from Home Depot + LOTS of spare blades
4. Our carpet came in 10 ft width, so I just turned it sideways and had a seam in the middle of the trailer.
5. A regular heay duty staple gun with long staples (I think they were 1/2 inch) will work great.
6. Rent a carpet kicker to stretch the carpet. I ended up with a minor bump but eventually got rid of it.
7. I took back the left over pieces of carpet and cut 3 pieces asked the carpet outlet to "bind" the edges and we used them for area rugs / entrance rug. The carpet place did all the binding for 20 bucks !!! I used them in the dorrway, Lounge + Galley to save wear.
8. Installing the carpet took all about 6 hours and looks great, see pics.

http://www.airforums.com/photo...&cutoffdate=-1

I cant help re the doghouse on your 310, but all our carpet was installed to the "edge" of goucho etc and looks great. Thicker pile carpet allows for larger room for error and butts up nicely against things.

Regards Rob
Old 12-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Thanks for the advice...

Your installation looks really great. Alas, with winter here, we can't do it ourselves. The estimates have been petty high, but we have a guy coming to look at it next week. They are experienced with moho installs and are supposed to be more fairly priced. I had been planning to go with commercial grade carpet, but the fellow coming to do the estimate recommends a stain guard residential carpet. Glad to hear you second that.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote