Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Culver City , California
Can't stomach screw holes in new Airstream interior...

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen of these here fantastic forums,

I need some how-to info / possible moral support on a problem the wife and I are having with our new Airstream. We have a 27" International with pristine wooden interior walls (well, they're probably laminate covered particle board actually - does anyone know?).

We want to attach one of these ikea metal magnetic boards to the wood just beside the oven (on the wall in the red circle in the attached picture). Why? So we can post up magnetic spice / other goodie bins while we're stationary.

Here's the dilemma. We don't want to put holes in our wood panel walls.

I can only imagine how ridiculous this must sound to many of you who have gutted and rebuilt AS's, but I'm nervous about poking holes in anything. Remember the first scratch / dent? They hurt!

So, here are our questions:
- If this were my house, I would just spackle and paint over the hole. I don't think that will work on the particle board-esque material, would it?
- If no spackle, how DO you repair holes in the interior wood-like walls?

That should be enough to start the conversation or welcome heckling. Either way, we look forward to your responses.

PS - I searched for this topic, and trolled lots of posts for more info but couldn't find any. If posts or threads exist, I'm sure 2air will point me in the right direction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insert_ikea_magnetboard_here.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	118839  
2012 Ford F-250 6.2L V8 Crew Cab
Follow us on Weaselmouth.com, Connect with us on facebook and twitter!
dekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Maybe Velcro strips? I drilled holes in mine for an Ikea spice rack and don't regret it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2527378768.png
Views:	243
Size:	987.0 KB
ID:	118840  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Consider very carefully before you put up the magnetic board and then consider it a forever part of the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Culver City , California
blmithch5 - Nice job! very pro. Velcro is an option, but I'm not convinced i could get the sticky off the wood after a year or two. I might as well drill small holes at that point.

We were going to try the 3M sticky hook command strips (minus the hook), but same thing. Didnt want to mark up the shiny new wood panel.

John - I was afraid of that answer, which is probably what we'll end up doing.

Thanks!
2012 Ford F-250 6.2L V8 Crew Cab
Follow us on Weaselmouth.com, Connect with us on facebook and twitter!
dekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Greetings........

First off...see whats on the other side of the wall, and how thick the wall is.
A spice rack is a fairly common addition, although some people want
to keep vintage Airstreams original. Others want to make the camper
their own, with their own touch.
Anyway, you could consider using aluminum rivets to fasten the rack to the authentic imitation wood. It does seem silly to worry about the holes when you take it down. I'd say leave it up , or don't put it up. But if you did put it up and then take it down , you could put rivets in to fill the holes and people would think they were meant to be there.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. We've all had similar feelings. Whether it' s a brand new Airstream or loving restoration, it's hard to drill that first hole or experience that first ding or mishap.

As to your question, there are wood filler products that either start out in the shade that you want or are stainable. You could also consider using two sided tape to attach your magnetic disc to the wall. This would work but may result in much great finish damage when removed than several little holes would make.

Part of the fun of an Airstream is making it your own. Go ahead and make the modifications that you want.

We have had our Lucy for nearly 5 years now. We hve spent almost 800 nights in her and have pulled her 70,000 miles. We've drilled a few holes and gotten a few scratches and dings. The only way to insure that your girl never gets dinged, scratched, or damaged is to keep her at home and never use her. How sad would that be?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi dekew...

i c 3 issues n ur post....

1. patching nicks n holes.

2. how 2 stick stuff 2 the wallz sans holes or with minimal trauma

3. gett'n past the newbie stage, in other words...

beating up the stream.
_________

1. silicone or urethane sealants like those used for showers/galley gaps,

can be used to fill tiny holes, then a few days later when dry...

"painted" with a permanent marker (black) this works well and is durable.

2. the magic of minnesota mining and manufacturing (that would be 4m)

has been helping us stick stuff 2 the walls 4 many years ...

see post #5 here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f335...tml#post410505

as un UPdate every item hung in that report is still hanging (now 5 years) with the command products.

it's very good, very stable and will handle relatively heavy stuff too (like 1-3 LBS heavy)

other tricks in these threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...dge-31610.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ock-46061.html

i have complete confidence this magic stuff will support the magnet board, IF properly applied.

Command

while thinking 'permanently' is a good idea,

i have had to REMOVE 2 items hung using this stuff and without issues.

3. as for the hebbie jeebbies 'bout scaring the stream, many have this condition...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...age-41254.html

it seems that after about 8-12 monthly payments and a couple of visits from neighbors...

the problem resolves naturally.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Blmitch5, just bought the same spice rack for my 1973 Tradewind. It will be my first drill and rivet. I just have to have spices, ya know! MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
rivots baby

good question really,
you're right--mine's a 56 bubble so i have put plenty of holes in it as it's a total rebuid. But--I don't know if you could fix fiber board up very good after the fact. But what if you used RIVOTS. rivots always look cool no matter what. you still have to drill some holes--It sounds like you want to use the trailer how you want so I give you permission! and it looks like someone else just said the same thing. I agree. think hard--make your alterations but don't do anything you think you'll want to undo.
cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
Cabinet Makers use famawood for filling small holes. Sands very easy, excepts stains and sold in a number of species. Never will be perfect but you can get it to blend in. Availible at Louis & Co.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, dekew. I have mounted several things in my trailer using 3-M two sided automotive side moulding tape. [the gray one wrapped in red plastic] Like side mouldings on a car it can be removed and cleaned like it was never there. Won't hurt anything. And I will never worry about them falling off. The pictures will show a coffee cup, two plates, two plaques, two wine bottle plaques, and one Eiffel Tower picture, all mounted with two sided tape. I did however drill two holes for the mounting brackets for my clock. I almost forgot, but the Silver Lady Statue is also held in place with two sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008 463.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	118846   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 460.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	118847  

Name:	2008 466.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	118848  
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
3M Command Strips

I love command strips! I've hung a paper towel rack, a clock, hooks and several other things. The strips come off cleanly even after months.

Use plenty.

While underway I take my clock down (it's ceramic) and if I had a spice rack with glass bottles, I'd put them in the sink while traveling. I have little magnetic spice cans, I stick them to the side of the stove hood.

Paula
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #13

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn
Blmitch5, just bought the same spice rack for my 1973 Tradewind. It will be my first drill and rivet. I just have to have spices, ya know! MPJ
It's perfect for the AS. Just make sure the lids are screwed down tight.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Blmitch5...After seeing your earlier pic of the Ikea spice rack, we picked one up on our next visit...

I passed the old original plastic rack to another AS friend that wanted to keep an original 'look' to his rig...

Now for the fun part...after installing the new Ikea rack with rivets, I selected spices to fill each jar...good job...

We hooked up the AS a few days later and hit the road for a trip to the coast...After stopping, I entered the trailer to find two of the new spice jars missing from the rack!

There was a bit of an aromatic herbal 'air' inside...but here's the kicker - I could only find one of the jars and both lids! We have vinyl floors that I installed, and those jars must have rolled all over the place, and I still haven't found that one missing jar!

I suspect it found it's way under the stove cabinet that also holds the heater, and has worked its way to the back where I can't see or feel it...someday it will probably roll right out in plain sight after another road trip!

Moral to my story...If you install an Ikea Spice Rack, be sure that the jars lids have been secured TIGHTLY, or remove em' before hitting the road!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

what I wanted to say but forgot

I don't do much cooking inside. I like to be outside and I don't like to heat up or stink up where I sleep. So I have my spices in a portable tupperware container.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Go to an auto body supply store, and get some 2 sided tape. It is used to fasten chrome strips and emblems to all the newer cars. It's a bit spendy but it sticks like crazy and can be removed with a heat gun by just warming it up a little.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #17

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray
Blmitch5...After seeing your earlier pic of the Ikea spice rack, we picked one up on our next visit...

I passed the old original plastic rack to another AS friend that wanted to keep an original 'look' to his rig...

Now for the fun part...after installing the new Ikea rack with rivets, I selected spices to fill each jar...good job...

We hooked up the AS a few days later and hit the road for a trip to the coast...After stopping, I entered the trailer to find two of the new spice jars missing from the rack!

There was a bit of an aromatic herbal 'air' inside...but here's the kicker - I could only find one of the jars and both lids! We have vinyl floors that I installed, and those jars must have rolled all over the place, and I still haven't found that one missing jar!

I suspect it found it's way under the stove cabinet that also holds the heater, and has worked its way to the back where I can't see or feel it...someday it will probably roll right out in plain sight after another road trip!

Moral to my story...If you install an Ikea Spice Rack, be sure that the jars lids have been secured TIGHTLY, or remove em' before hitting the road!
Mine was red pepper! I make sure they are nice and tight now! I liked it so much I bought a couple for the house. They are very handy and save space to boot.

I think ikea is great for Airstreams, we bought our rugs, faucet and storage container there. I'm headed to San Diego for work and will stop by to see what else is new.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I also was considering,....and did screw in the same IKEA spice rack in the same spot as your picture,... last week. It's ok, customize!!! I did this in my 2010 25 FB International. It really was painless. The Stream didn't even wince either. It likes a little added spice to it's life.

Stream Safe.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
dekew,

I as well do not like to ruin a good looking wall. At home, not a problem because its sheet rock and can be puttied up with out notice. But with these composites of our newer AS's, I am hesitant as well to use a screw. although much more holding power than sticky stuff or nails and won't vibrate out. The thickness is another matter, 3/8" at the most, and no "stud" to anchor into. Although how much can spices weigh?

We purchased a set of 3 spice tins that are magnetic from "The Container Store" and stick them to the vent hood sides. We also found some 2"x2", 2" x 3" magnetic wire baskets there and stick them there for sugar packets, salt & pepper grinders, etc...
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Wee had a 2004 CCD and the black wood grain walls were laminate veneer over particle board. I am talking about the same plastic laminate that covers counter tops and is nearly indestructible. It is not the Pergo floor type laminate that has a micro-thin layer that is easy to damage. They make laminate sheets in different thicknesses depending on use. The wall covering type is probably thinner than what is on the counters. I am pretty sure that the newer brown CCD walls are plastic laminate too.
An adhesive would come off with elbow grease and any cleaner that is safe for a kitchen counter. A hole could never be attractively filled in a laminate surface.
We used adhesives and drilled holes depending on how sure we were with the mod.
It is hard the first time but it gets easier as you realize the benefits you gain from the add-ons.
You do need to be mindful that plastic laminates are brittle and can chip when drilled. There are tricks to minimize this.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, wall panels