Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master
what I wanted to say but forgot

I don't do much cooking inside. I like to be outside and I don't like to heat up or stink up where I sleep. So I have my spices in a portable tupperware container.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Go to an auto body supply store, and get some 2 sided tape. It is used to fasten chrome strips and emblems to all the newer cars. It's a bit spendy but it sticks like crazy and can be removed with a heat gun by just warming it up a little.

ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #17

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Originally Posted by Mexray
Blmitch5...After seeing your earlier pic of the Ikea spice rack, we picked one up on our next visit...

I passed the old original plastic rack to another AS friend that wanted to keep an original 'look' to his rig...

Now for the fun part...after installing the new Ikea rack with rivets, I selected spices to fill each jar...good job...

We hooked up the AS a few days later and hit the road for a trip to the coast...After stopping, I entered the trailer to find two of the new spice jars missing from the rack!

There was a bit of an aromatic herbal 'air' inside...but here's the kicker - I could only find one of the jars and both lids! We have vinyl floors that I installed, and those jars must have rolled all over the place, and I still haven't found that one missing jar!

I suspect it found it's way under the stove cabinet that also holds the heater, and has worked its way to the back where I can't see or feel it...someday it will probably roll right out in plain sight after another road trip!

Moral to my story...If you install an Ikea Spice Rack, be sure that the jars lids have been secured TIGHTLY, or remove em' before hitting the road!
Mine was red pepper! I make sure they are nice and tight now! I liked it so much I bought a couple for the house. They are very handy and save space to boot.

I think ikea is great for Airstreams, we bought our rugs, faucet and storage container there. I'm headed to San Diego for work and will stop by to see what else is new.
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I also was considering,....and did screw in the same IKEA spice rack in the same spot as your picture,... last week. It's ok, customize!!! I did this in my 2010 25 FB International. It really was painless. The Stream didn't even wince either. It likes a little added spice to it's life.

Stream Safe.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas

I as well do not like to ruin a good looking wall. At home, not a problem because its sheet rock and can be puttied up with out notice. But with these composites of our newer AS's, I am hesitant as well to use a screw. although much more holding power than sticky stuff or nails and won't vibrate out. The thickness is another matter, 3/8" at the most, and no "stud" to anchor into. Although how much can spices weigh?

We purchased a set of 3 spice tins that are magnetic from "The Container Store" and stick them to the vent hood sides. We also found some 2"x2", 2" x 3" magnetic wire baskets there and stick them there for sugar packets, salt & pepper grinders, etc...
Sphere Guy
AIR 50601
Sphere Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Wee had a 2004 CCD and the black wood grain walls were laminate veneer over particle board. I am talking about the same plastic laminate that covers counter tops and is nearly indestructible. It is not the Pergo floor type laminate that has a micro-thin layer that is easy to damage. They make laminate sheets in different thicknesses depending on use. The wall covering type is probably thinner than what is on the counters. I am pretty sure that the newer brown CCD walls are plastic laminate too.
An adhesive would come off with elbow grease and any cleaner that is safe for a kitchen counter. A hole could never be attractively filled in a laminate surface.
We used adhesives and drilled holes depending on how sure we were with the mod.
It is hard the first time but it gets easier as you realize the benefits you gain from the add-ons.
You do need to be mindful that plastic laminates are brittle and can chip when drilled. There are tricks to minimize this.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #21

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Ok hold on tight...., we cut the aluminum interior to ad an outlet for the av cables, drilled in a tv wall mount, put in a hand towel rack and towel rack in the bathroom. lots of holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-808604196.png
Views:	72
Size:	953.6 KB
ID:	118902   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2414567706.png
Views:	79
Size:	867.4 KB
ID:	118903  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1658881540.png
Views:	67
Size:	917.4 KB
ID:	118904  
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
and my trusty lab Helga
1972 29' Ambassador
1985 32' Excella
Cowiche , Washington
The pressure of a hole. I would just cleare silicone it then if you want to sell it you just take a thin knife and pull as you cut when you remove it wipe clean with alittle gas on a rag no problem.
handyman1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #23
steel/aluminum fabricator
2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
You can buy a 3m double sided tape called pro form available at lordco if you have those in the US. Its a rubber type tape that sticks like crazy but can be removed with alot of force and leaves no residue. A roll is about $20 but this stuff is good for doing lots of things . Used for any trim on cars,etc. 1001 uses really.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
dekew, I feel your pain. We were in the same situation for the first year (=summer. We're far up north). Half way through our second summer, we just needed to drill holes. Where do you hang keys in a CCD? The factory doesn't install key hooks like in other models. We also needed a place for books at night (the overhead locker wasn't convenient). So we added a shelf. The first drill hole was stressful, but we haven't regretted it once. Next year, we will add towel bars like blmitch5 did. Right now, we end up hanging one towel over the rail for the dividing curtain. Eventually, that will do more damage (rusting) to the rail than 2 holes would ever do to the interior.

We also added Command hooks. In the Great White North, it is recommended that we replace the hooks every summer or every other summer. (-40 does a number on them!) You won't need to worry about that in Texas! We have replaced the hooks and there were no marks. Excellent product. For your purposes, I'd use the Command velcro. It works the same way as the hooks. We've also considered the same magnetic disk! It matches the circle theme we have going on in the CCD.

Basically, you'll find that some things you can live without, so you won't drill into the walls, but other things drive you crazy or are impractical, so you can't live without adding them. That's what led us to our first drill hole.

Happy drilling,
Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master
1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I understand your reluctance to drill any holes in your baby, but...

You have to personalize it so you can use it. If drilling is absolutely not an option use VHB double sided tape or an equivalent. But I agree with others who said rivets are cool. Even pop rivets.

1958 Overlander
2011 Wolf Creek 850N TC
2011 Ford F-250 Crewcab (6.2L), 3.73RE

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote

interior, wall panels