My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Shari,
Which color did you order? Don't see a "silver" choice there.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
Shari,
Which color did you order? Don't see a "silver" choice there.
Hmmm...you're right. I know I ordered #31 Polished Aluminum but it was back in 2002 so you may have to call them to see if it's still available. It is from Levelor...not sure if Blinds Galore still offers that color though...sorry.

BTW, it looks like they sell Hunter Douglas & other brands too.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Someone mentioned OceanAir a ways back. I looked at their shades and they have one that looks like what we had in our Classic. So the world turns...
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
I recently purchased new Vista View trim rings and blinds that are used in the new Ocean Breeze Airstreams. How are the blinds attached to the window trim? The tech guys said they are riveted to the trim or screwed into the trim. How can you adjust them if they are screwed into the trim. The shades are made by United Shade in Elkhart, Indiana.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Weilhamm
I recently purchased new Vista View trim rings and blinds that are used in the new Ocean Breeze Airstreams. How are the blinds attached to the window trim? The tech guys said they are riveted to the trim or screwed into the trim. How can you adjust them if they are screwed into the trim. The shades are made by United Shade in Elkhart, Indiana.
We just ordered an Intl Ocean Breeze, but they don't come with blinds. Instead, they come with shades that secure below the window when fully extended. The shade is somehow secured slightly above and outside of the window trim (I believe) - they may possibly be riveted; my thought would be they are screwed into the sidewall.

As a special order, the factory is going to install blinds (same as from the Safari SE I am told), at some additional (but unknown yet) cost to us.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
mumble-grumble, arg! Foiled Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I've got the Safari SE which comes with the CCD style windows and standard mini-blinds. As several people have noted, there are problems with a side gap that can allow outsiders to gaze in. I replaced the plastic hold downs with Velcro on the bottom of the shades to get them to to hang closer to the wall, but on several shades the window operators or the window locks actually cause the shades to bulge away from the wall. In the bedroom both side windows are stacked on top of the oval vista view windows which don't open so the window lock for the top window holds the shade a bit away from the glass. In a moment of creative insanity I took some black elastic and tied it between the window operators (the thingies that let you prop the windows open at three differnt heights). This holds the middle of the blind more snugly to the window.

I've got to say that the old roll ups were less problem on the CCD - and that while the mini blinds look very cool, they are a pain in the butt to keep dusted.

Paula
NOTE: I've now removed the Velcro on the bottom and replaced the little plastic hold downs. Foiled Again.... the Velcro looked like a perfect solution but it won't hold on the bare aluminum interior on a hot day. I came home to find one shade hanging loose, put down a new piece of Velcro, and had the other side fail the next day. Luckily I'd only done the bedroom windows. The elastic tied across the window operators is still my "night time" fix if I'm in a strange place and feel I may have strangers peeping in. During the day if the place is clean I pull up the blinds on the shady side of the coach so that the curious (and perhaps envious) can catch aluminumitis.... hehehe

Paula
Old 08-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
The windows I am referring to are the Vista View (skylight) windows. In the Ocean Breeze they are covered with a pleated shade or pleated blind which pulls up for privacy and to block out light. Are they screwed directly into the trim? Do they have brackets? I can't seem to be able to find an answer.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Mini-Blinds from Home Depot?

We tried several places to order, and found Home Depot to have best pricing and most options for color. They also had smallest upper unit mounting, which meant they'd fit in mounts already installed by Airstream on our trailer... The 1" mini-blinds in metal are most light/heat blocking for trailer, and you can measure and spec to 1/4", and maybe allow some extra width for privacy.. You can also spec cord and rod for open/close on left or right or both together... Average was ~ $25/window...

You can also mount upper mounts with sheet metal screws (v. rivets..) if you are sure of lcation and committed...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote