Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Blinds for Panoramic Windows

Hello all,

OK, I admit it. I really don't like Curtains in any form but the Curtains on our brand new Safari 25 SE FB leave me actively considering some alternatives.

I've tried to search for this without success...

Has anyone tried replacing the drapes covering the Panoramic windows with blinds? I've been thinking that one could take cellular type blinds or the Duette type blinds like those in the overhead Vista View (?) (clerestory type) windows and use those in a novel way. I would think that with a guide track top & bottom, these blinds could work with the pleats oriented in a vertical direction and allow a neat and effective alternative to those drapes. Split in the middle with pull cords one would probably have to guide the opening by hand but surely this would be do-able?

Any thoughts?

...or better yet if someone has tried this or something like this...do you have any pictures?

Thanks.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
better yet if someone has tried this or something like this...do you have any pictures?...
hi evan

pleated shades can be mounted to track side2side instead of upndown...

but it takes a LOT of effort and without curtains OVER them doesn't look so cool...

i did this 20 years ago.

'bandit had the classic window treatments done to his international and it looks GREAT...

his pics are IN the pdf file here....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/433222-post1.html

the same could be done to a safari with the panowindows...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hello all,

OK, I admit it. I really don't like Curtains in any form but the Curtains on our brand new Safari 25 SE FB leave me actively considering some alternatives.

I've tried to search for this without success...

Has anyone tried replacing the drapes covering the Panoramic windows with blinds? I've been thinking that one could take cellular type blinds or the Duette type blinds like those in the overhead Vista View (?) (clerestory type) windows and use those in a novel way. I would think that with a guide track top & bottom, these blinds could work with the pleats oriented in a vertical direction and allow a neat and effective alternative to those drapes. Split in the middle with pull cords one would probably have to guide the opening by hand but surely this would be do-able?

Any thoughts?

...or better yet if someone has tried this or something like this...do you have any pictures?

Thanks.

-evan

Blinds are great, but you can see through the sides of them.

You can solve that problem, by installing "end panels."

But then, when you travel, the blinds, metal, wood or plastic, cut holes in the end panels.

Back to the drapes.

They may not be the best, but they don't cause problems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
This doesn't answer your question. But we had the factory install blinds instead of the pull down shades for the side and back window. We do have the curtains on the curved windows - not thrilled with that either, but yes, it does work.

One the things I have tried to find, but unsuccessfully so far, is someone (in Georgia) that can tint the curved windows. I've talked to a number of tinters, and they so far have all said it cannot be done. Now I know someone (Texas?) had that done, and thus at least in part alleviated some of the need for curtains - at least daytime.

So, like I said, haven't answered your question - but feel your pain.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Hi Evan
Andy is right about people being able to see into the trailer from the edge of the blinds but that also applies to all the other windows in my trailer. I installed blinds on the front and rear panoramic windows on my 2007 25’ Safari SE. The blinds cover the center flat glass section of the window and the original curtains cover the curved glass on both sides. I mounted the blinds on the overhead cabinet and I had to move the curtain track away from the wall a little for the blind assembly to fit. The brushed aluminum blinds which are 48” wide by 25” high are the same as the original equipment supplied by Airstream for the other windows in the trailer and cost me less than $30 each. The supplier of the blinds is Ascot Enterprises, 503 So Main St, Nappanee, IN 46550, (574) 262-3583.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I pretty much have an aversion to 99.99% of all window treatments, but with the curved windows of these trailers, I'm not certain there are many options that do the job as well as curtains. If one were really talented, one could create a sort of vertical blind with a radiused top and bottom track for the curved windows. I could see these transitioning well to the straight runs of glazing if the tracks were continuous for the full length of the panoramic windows. I could also envision a translucent sheet of material that slides into coiled tracks at each end of the window and running at the top and bottom of the window. Sort of like the tambour on the 70's cabinets.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
'bandit had the classic window treatments done to his international and it looks GREAT...

2air'
Hi eheffa,

Yup, I didn't like the curtains either, but with curved windows, curtains are the most cost efficient and effective. I really like the day/night shades I have, and it works well with the classic curtains (which are way different than International or Safari curtains).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post

One the things I have tried to find, but unsuccessfully so far, is someone (in Georgia) that can tint the curved windows. I've talked to a number of tinters, and they so far have all said it cannot be done. Now I know someone (Texas?) had that done, and thus at least in part alleviated some of the need for curtains - at least daytime.
I can't believe that the tinters still say that to you... What bull. Mine were done in one piece (no cuts or slits) and no distortion. All I can say is they were pros, (and the tint shop owner is on his second Airstream himself).

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ted-36307.html
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi evan

pleated shades can be mounted to track side2side instead of upndown...

but it takes a LOT of effort and without curtains OVER them doesn't look so cool...

i did this 20 years ago.

the same could be done to a safari with the panowindows...

cheers
2air'
Hi 2air,

I appreciate those pictures. I hadn't considered combining the cellular blinds & the curtains as in these examples. It would certainly be an easier option. Those drapes/curtains look a lot better than the Safari curtains in that they have more fabric but I would like to be able to open the view as much as possible when we have a view worth taking in so less material would be an advantage then...

Hmmm...no obvious solution to all this yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

-evan
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Blinds are great, but you can see through the sides of them.

You can solve that problem, by installing "end panels."

But then, when you travel, the blinds, metal, wood or plastic, cut holes in the end panels.

Back to the drapes.

They may not be the best, but they don't cause problems.

Andy
Thanks Andy.

I should probably just be content with the current arrangement as there is so much to really like about our new AS but besides looking tacky, I've found it to be quite a fiddle to get the drapes open or get to the window mechanism. Blinds would suit us better but there is probably no perfect solution to this set of competing demands

My original idea of vertical cellular blinds would result in just two ends to either box or flange to provide the complete privacy.

I wonder whether something like these vertiglides could be adapted to a trailer application with a bottom track to keep them in place?:

http://www.sunsetblindsshutters.com/...ertiglide.html

-evan
Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
This doesn't answer your question. But we had the factory install blinds instead of the pull down shades for the side and back window. We do have the curtains on the curved windows - not thrilled with that either, but yes, it does work.

So, like I said, haven't answered your question - but feel your pain.
Thanks Brad...

The PDF 2air linked shows a combination that allows for more conventional blinds combined with the drapes...that seems to work well.

It's hard to believe that curved windows can't be tinted as many autos with quite curved rear windows seem to be able to get aftermarket tinting.

Good luck on your search for the right tinting guys.

-evan
Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
Hi Evan
Andy is right about people being able to see into the trailer from the edge of the blinds but that also applies to all the other windows in my trailer. I installed blinds on the front and rear panoramic windows on my 2007 25’ Safari SE. The blinds cover the center flat glass section of the window and the original curtains cover the curved glass on both sides. I mounted the blinds on the overhead cabinet and I had to move the curtain track away from the wall a little for the blind assembly to fit. The brushed aluminum blinds which are 48” wide by 25” high are the same as the original equipment supplied by Airstream for the other windows in the trailer and cost me less than $30 each. The supplier of the blinds is Ascot Enterprises, 503 So Main St, Nappanee, IN 46550, (574) 262-3583.

Thanks 2dabeach.

That sounds like a good compromise. Did you remove some of the drapery panels you didn't need?

Do the blinds make it any easier to work the window opening levers?

Thanks for the link for the blind supplier. That sounds like a very reasonable price. I may just follow up on that if I give up on the complete curved blind idea.

-evan
Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
I pretty much have an aversion to 99.99% of all window treatments, but with the curved windows of these trailers, I'm not certain there are many options that do the job as well as curtains. If one were really talented, one could create a sort of vertical blind with a radiused top and bottom track for the curved windows. I could see these transitioning well to the straight runs of glazing if the tracks were continuous for the full length of the panoramic windows. I could also envision a translucent sheet of material that slides into coiled tracks at each end of the window and running at the top and bottom of the window. Sort of like the tambour on the 70's cabinets.
Hi Cameron,

I'm with you. One of the very attractive features of the AS trailers is the relatively clean & un-cluttered styling of the interiors. We haven't got a single drape or curtain in our house as we prefer the more Spartan, clean look of blinds. I suspect I might just have enough talent to pull off the radiused track idea you describe (but maybe not) but that was what I had in mind. I'm not sure I want to risk all the time & effort if it didn't work or was just butt ugly. I was hoping someone else would have tried it & I could learn from their experience or see what it looks like.

Your idea of a tambour like mechanism is interesting & might be quite efective. A more fabric like material like the Duette stuff might be a better choice though in that it would provide better insulation (thermally & to reduce echo noise etc.)

Thanks for the good ideas.

-evan
Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
Hi eheffa,

Yup, I didn't like the curtains either, but with curved windows, curtains are the most cost efficient and effective. I really like the day/night shades I have, and it works well with the classic curtains (which are way different than International or Safari curtains).

I can't believe that the tinters still say that to you... What bull. Mine were done in one piece (no cuts or slits) and no distortion. All I can say is they were pros, (and the tint shop owner is on his second Airstream himself).

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ted-36307.html
The combination of blinds & drapes in your unit works very well. The Day-night combination would have lots of utility as well.

Thanks for posting those pics.

-evan
Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I had a product rep come into my office a few months ago and he showed me their new LCD windows. An electric charge activates the LCD, laminated between sheets of glass, turning the glass opaque. An electonic blind, if you will. Now this sort of thing would be ideal for an Airstream. Pretty pricey though. Could you imagine just flicking a switch and instantly obscure all the windows? Very cool technology.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I had a product rep come into my office a few months ago and he showed me their new LCD windows. An electric charge activates the LCD, laminated between sheets of glass, turning the glass opaque. An electonic blind, if you will. Now this sort of thing would be ideal for an Airstream. Pretty pricey though. Could you imagine just flicking a switch and instantly obscure all the windows? Very cool technology.
Way cool and way expensive.... I think the Maybach and Airstream 1 both have them...

Airstream 1 is being leased to a some auto magazone or something like that. Wish I could see that one in person.....
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Thanks 2dabeach.

That sounds like a good compromise. Did you remove some of the drapery panels you didn't need?

Do the blinds make it any easier to work the window opening levers?

Thanks for the link for the blind supplier. That sounds like a very reasonable price. I may just follow up on that if I give up on the complete curved blind idea.

-evan
Evan

We didn't remove any of the original curtains, just moved the center panels to the sides. The bottom panel of the blinds are held just above the window latches by the plastic bottom retainers that we attached to the window screen frame. As the bottom of the blinds are above the latches, it makes them a little more more accessible than what they were before.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:

Yeah & I can also imagine the air conditioner tripping the breaker & the windows go from opaque to fully transparent while bending over for that second application of Preparation H...

I agree though. pretty cool idea.

-evan
Old 07-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Evan, I like your sense of humour
Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Note to self...

Quote:
Yeah & I can also imagine the air conditioner tripping the breaker & the windows go from opaque to fully transparent while bending over for that second application of Preparation H...

I agree though. pretty cool idea.

-evan
Note to self: If meeting Evan (AKA eheffa) at any future rally, do not shake hands and avoid the dish he brings to pot luck dinner...
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
Evan

We didn't remove any of the original curtains, just moved the center panels to the sides. The bottom panel of the blinds are held just above the window latches by the plastic bottom retainers that we attached to the window screen frame. As the bottom of the blinds are above the latches, it makes them a little more more accessible than what they were before.
Thanks for all the help 2dabeach.

I think your solution represents the easiest fix for the problem & definitely looks better than the plain curtains.

I'll look into the supplier to see whether they ship to Canada.

-evan