Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
One the things I have tried to find, but unsuccessfully so far, is someone (in Georgia) that can tint the curved windows. I've talked to a number of tinters, and they so far have all said it cannot be done. Now I know someone (Texas?) had that done, and thus at least in part alleviated some of the need for curtains - at least daytime.

So, like I said, haven't answered your question - but feel your pain.
nilesrob,

I was washing the trailer this evening for the first time & just noticed that on my unit, the front & rear panoramic windows including the curved sections, are all tinted from the factory. I'm surprised that the more expensive CCD doesn't have that in your case. Perhaps AS could direct you to a source for this?

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
We like all kinds of window treatments, but we decided with shades and draperies for our 73 Overlander. We ordered new shades that match the interior and my wife made pleated lined draperies. What we found out was when the temps hit the mid 90's with a west sun we needed to pull the shades and draperies because of heat coming off the windows. We realized how it kept the coach uniformly cool when running the air condtioner. When the draperies were open and the shades were closed you could still feel some heat coming off those windows. Shades and lined draperies were the best decision for us.

Some one from Marietta Ga (Metro Atlanta) said that they could not find somebody to tint curved windows. I never had tinted auto windows before but decided to do it myself. I bought my tint mateiral at Napa Auto and was very succesful with applying it. I found out how to do it by looking at videos posted by the company that makes the material. These videos were posted on the Internet. They had several videos showing hands on installation.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My draperies closed when it is in the 90's and tinted vista window.

SIU Bound

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0080.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	64443   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0082.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	64444  

Attached Images

Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
Hello all,

OK, I admit it. I really don't like Curtains in any form but the Curtains on our brand new Safari 25 SE FB leave me actively considering some alternatives.

I've tried to search for this without success...

Has anyone tried replacing the drapes covering the Panoramic windows with blinds? I've been thinking that one could take cellular type blinds or the Duette type blinds like those in the overhead Vista View (?) (clerestory type) windows and use those in a novel way. I would think that with a guide track top & bottom, these blinds could work with the pleats oriented in a vertical direction and allow a neat and effective alternative to those drapes. Split in the middle with pull cords one would probably have to guide the opening by hand but surely this would be do-able?

Any thoughts?

...or better yet if someone has tried this or something like this...do you have any pictures?

Thanks.

-evan
Just so happens, that is exactly what I am doing.
Selected Honey comb shades from Graber shades. I am using a vertical honey comb shade for the curved window. Since Graber's shade can only work in a straight shade, I am using a cubicle curtain track where I can bend the track and change the slides so it can operate in the curved track.
Since I am in the window covering business, I have access to the parts.
You can just order the shades from an airstream dealer.
69amd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Monroe , Michigan
Would you be interested in selling your curtains? If so, I would need a few pictures and some measurements.
~1975 Trillium 13'
...to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #26
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
I agree with most of the above. We have a 1985 30’ with wrap windows front and back. I had new curtains made but they got very dusty, and have metal mini blinds except at corners.

I went to the local fabric store (Jo-...n’s) and purchased the pre-quilted silver and beige fabric. I made a pattern by press-fitting newspaper into curved windows. I ironed stiffener onto wrong side of quilt pieces then cut and sewed them right sides together leaving 3” for turning. After turning I top stitched. They press-fit into the corner windows but could be velco’ed easily. Easy to remove and wash; they add a lot of insulation.