Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Blinds and shades

Above the folding dinning table in my '71 Overlander there is a venetian blind a little frayed for 40 years!! Don't know if they were OEM because they are hung from a spring clips under the original 'U' curtain track. I suspose that the trailer was fitted with curtains at one time. I also have two pull down shades in the LU and above the kitchen sink. The shades still work but are kind of an eye sore. What solutions have worked to improve these windows?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pull Down Shades vs. Venetian Blinds

I just thoroughly cleaned my Venetian Blinds - Taking each down, placing it on the table, using a rag with Endust (not the wood polishing type just the dust removing type) carefully on each slat, flipping the blind and cleaning the other side of the slat.... That or washing them in a bathtub is the only way to get them clean. Six blinds, 4 hour job. (phht!)

My 22 CCD had roll down blinds - wipe with a damp cloth if you're in the mood to clean them.

Venetian blinds are dust catchers and aren't easy to clean. Additionally, unless you Velcro the bottom rail to the side of the trailer, or use micro-mini tie downs at the bottom of mini-blinds - you get a gap on the sides of the blinds that can let the sun shine in, or worse let you put on a show....

Roll up blinds look cheap - some think. BUT, you can go to a drapery shop and get a blind kit that allows you to make them out of your choice of fabric, or you will also find that you can order fancier ones that really look nice. Do notice that they come in translucent and room darkening varieties.

Paula Ford
Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Thanks for the response but I am really looking for solutions that others have for replacing existing blinds and pull down shades. By solution in Az. for cleaning my 15 year old? blinds: take them off, place them on the patio add a little soap and scrub them with an RV brush.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
When we recently got our 310, it had old light-filtering cellular shades in it (originally had woven wood). We replaced them with new cellular shades, since we LOVED the way they looked! I would not have considered them if they had not already been in there, since I was not familiar with cellular shades, but they really enhance the look of the "living room" for us. Lowes had them in stock and on sale, since they appear to be phasing the in-stock ones out in favor of special-order only.

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I will ask a stupid ? ; can replacement shades just be purchased at a home store?
Is there anything "special" about the AS shades?

Thanx, Bill
Old 04-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Alternative to shades

I purchased a kitchen curtain at Wal-Mart and 2 small curtain rods. Took the old shade down and tossed it! My husband riveted the top rod up inside the plastic valance. I cut the curtain down to fit the window and sewed a rod pocket on the top and bottom, and used the brackets that were there to hold down the shade to hold the curtain tight against the window. Pretty easy to do! Just an alternate idea.
Tammy
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I was looking at the new AS's and they had sort of two way shades, you could block out some lite or turn a handle and they block off all lite.

Anyone know who makes those?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Pulled all the old shades out this weekend, everything went well until we got to the infamous door shade.
Tugged, pulled, pushed, lifted...could not get it out. Must have worked on it for a good hour.
Was just ready to pop the rivets, when I thought I would try one more time; stuck my fingers up the side and it fell right out!
So for those of you attempting this, keep trying, when you hit the right spot, it WILL come out.
Now, will the new shade go in without disassembling the door panel?
Stay tuned...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Billtex, Ok we are waiting, how does it go back in? I hav'nt even attempted that repair. Teresa
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl
Billtex, Ok we are waiting, how does it go back in? I hav'nt even attempted that repair. Teresa
I'll let you know when my Wife brings home the new shades...