Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
Best upholstery foam to use?

Greetings,
I'm having a custom gaucho bed and dining room furniture built for me. What is the best foam to use.

We are building an "U" shape dining room bench and will have 6" of foam space or thickness. The bench is 13" high plus the 6" of form equals 19" high from floor to the top.

The gaucho bed will be 15" / 16" high (we are building the fuse box below the bed) and the foam thickness is about 3". My concern is to have foam comfortable enough to sit on and sleep on.

Thanks
Karen
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Check search feature..

Karen-

There should be several searchable posts on "foam" and "replacement" with messages from actual foam experts... When we did our front jack-knife couch over, we used upholstery foam with a layer of high density "memory" foam (~ 1" thick") as top layer for sleeping comfort... The memory foam comes in several densities...

We followed same theory and bought 2" heavy memory foam "mattress topper" for rear double bed... Sheets not problem since mattress is at very small end of standard double bed size range. Both work well..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
gauchos

I replaced the two gauchos in our 1978 Argosy 6.7 Minuet. We used 5" high density foam. It is great for sitting on, but a little on the hard side for sleeping.
We decided to add memory foam mattress toppers for sleeping, and just roll them out on top of the upholstery at night.
There is another thread on here from somebody that has experience with mattresses and foam etc. Use your search feature to seek more help.

Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Upholstery foam in medium firm worked well for me. Be sure to get better quality upholstery foam.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
My opinion is exactly the opposite of Loudruff's. We bought 5" hight density foam (it was green) from JoAnn fabrics for our front gaucho. To me, it seems somewhat hard for sitting, but it's the most comfortable thing to sleep on. In fact, sometimes the wife and I sleep on the gaucho instead of the matress we bought for the bed! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
green foam

Yep, I bought mine at JoAnn Fabrics too! I think it depends on what you are used to sleeping on. Easiest thing to do is grab and piece and lay on it before you buy it. If it feels like home, go for it!!!

Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
For me, I like to sleep on a super firm mattress. When we replaced all the foam in the '74, my Father-In-Law got us foam "the best money could buy" as he proudly boasted to me. He mailed up a front arm rest and I was dually impressed. The next time he visited, he brought all the foam expertly cut to the precise shape. I said looks like good stuff. The seemstress picked up the foam, and returned them with the new covers perfectly fitted. The covers compressed the foam just slightly so that a granite boulder would have probably rolled off due to the discomfort. We ended up putting a memory foam topper between the mattress and sheet when bed time came. They looked beautiful, no wrinkles, creases and they always looked like they had never been sat on. Choose wisley.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
Thanks for all the replies. k
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Hello Karen, My wife had all our foam replaced at a upholstery shop they used 4 in. out door foam for patio furnature. it will not get soggy like a sponge if any thing gets spilled on it and does not hold any oders.it is very comfortable to sleep on.( I weigh 320 lbs.) it was very nice.. the only thing I had to do was cut down the sides of the table sides that make the spare bed 1 in.
bobchevy89
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Some better recent threads on foam for beds are at:
Comfortable Sleeping - bed,mattress,pad??? and Bedding/Cushion advice offered

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote