Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Tampa , Florida
Best type of aluminum for interior walls?

What would be the best type of aluminum for the interior walls?

Can someone pint me in the right direction that has replaced them before.

Thanks

James
jmalexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I just did this, and used 5052 in a .04 thickness. I was able to source 4x12 sheets for a little over $50/sheet.

With the benefit of hindsight, had I to do it over again, I would have cleaned up the original interior sheets, slapped them back in place and painted them.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I just did this, and used 5052 in a .04 thickness. I was able to source 4x12 sheets for a little over $50/sheet.

With the benefit of hindsight, had I to do it over again, I would have cleaned up the original interior sheets, slapped them back in place and painted them.

good luck!

Thank you , my panels are full of holes,

James
Old 03-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My local metal supplier sells 3003 x 10', I have used .032 thick for just over $40 a sheet. That's cheaper than I can strip the old stuff. A quick pass with nuvite S after its cut to shape removes finger prints and leave a protective coating. I've heard of a few folks who find it with a plastic film that can be left on until you rivet it in place.

The first trailer I did this too, I used .025 and it dents too easy.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalexan View Post

Thanks

James
Here's a link to the company that sells a plastic material that look's like stainless steel. I ordered 105 square feet of it and installed it in a 1996 34' Excella that I bought for a winter project.
The material is PSA (self stick) and on larger areas, that can be a problem, so I used #6 finish washers and stainless steel screws. It turned out very well.
Good luck.

Larry

Outwater - M42 - page 525
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Here's a link to the company that sells a plastic material that look's like stainless steel. I ordered 105 square feet of it and installed it in a 1996 34' Excella that I bought for a winter project.
The material is PSA (self stick) and on larger areas, that can be a problem, so I used #6 finish washers and stainless steel screws. It turned out very well.
Good luck.

Larry

Wow! How cool is that stuff! I've sent off an email to the manufacturer, but have any ideas as to how well that stuff would stick to new Zolatone?
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Tampa , Florida
Best type of aluminum for interior walls?

Quote:

Good luck.

Larry

Larry, how well is this plastic holding up to the elements? Hot / cold temps? I live in Florida and the heat makes plastic brittle over time. How's the quality?

James
Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
Wow! How cool is that stuff! I've sent off an email to the manufacturer, but have any ideas as to how well that stuff would stick to new Zolatone?

I don't know about the Zolatone, but I promise you, it WILL stick to most anything, including some things you don't want it to. That's the reason, I used finish washers in some of the larger areas...

I really do like the appearance...

Larry
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Larry, how well is this plastic holding up to the elements? Hot / cold temps? I live in Florida and the heat makes plastic brittle over time. How's the quality?

James
James, I am just now finishing this 34' project, and haven't had it one the road yet. We live in Alabama, between Pensacola, and Mobile, and I have seen some that has been installed in an office about 5 years ago, that still look's like new.
The quality is excellent, it comes in 4 foot wide lengths, you can order as little as one foot. On areas that we "smudged", it cleans up very nicely. I did the walls, of the dinette, and the kitchen in in our 34, as well as the refrigerator door panels.
I'm impressed with it..

Larry
Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Centenial , Colorado
Quote:
Good luck.

Larry

Hi Larry! What did you put this material over? Did you put it over the existing interior walls? Did you have to pull all the rivets first so they didn't show through the new material?

Secondly, when you used washers and screws are you saying you just didn't pull the adhesive backing off?

Thanks for the clarification!

Ace
Kingofbanff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofbanff View Post
Hi Larry! What did you put this material over? Did you put it over the existing interior walls? Did you have to pull all the rivets first so they didn't show through the new material?

Secondly, when you used washers and screws are you saying you just didn't pull the adhesive backing off?

Thanks for the clarification!

Ace
It was installed over the existing walls. On the smaller areas, I peeled off the PSA protective coating, and used the PSA, it works fine. The larger areas were the problem, because this material sticks very well, it can (and will) stick where it isn't supposed to.
So to overcome that, I used 1/2" stainless steel oval head screws and stainless steel finish washers, spaced about 12" apart. I think it looks good, and adds to the interior appearance.
I did note pull all rivets, as most of the areas I covered the original aluminum was overlayed with 1/8" luan/vinyle paneling. There were a couple places where I didn't was to disturb the sacred "mousehair" that I just covered the mousehair....

Larry
Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
cranbrook , British Columbia
Not sure what's best, but I used a brushed anodized aluminum. Comes is 4 by 8 foot sheets, usually available at any laminate supplier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen.png
Views:	254
Size:	583.9 KB
ID:	235266  
kootenayken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
Larry C, is the product you discuss here still out there? I can not get the attached link to take me to a product but to a vast catalog.
Happyjoemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjoemay View Post
Larry C, is the product you discuss here still out there? I can not get the attached link to take me to a product but to a vast catalog.
I'm not sure about the product Larry C used, but Wilson Art who makes the Laminate used in Airstreams does make decorative metal laminate -- Wilson Art Decorative-Metals

I've been considering this product if we decided to remove our "mouse fur" However I have not seen it in person.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjoemay View Post
Could this be the product from Larry C?

Roll-A-Lam
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:

Thanks

James
Hi James,
I know you are on the east coast but an excellent source for interior or exterior aluminum is aircraftspruce.com. However they are on the west coast (LA).
You might try an similar type of company closer to you.

Reusing the original skin might be easier. Just fill unused holes with pop-rivets and paint it.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote