Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Before and After, and a question about mattresses

We picked up our 1976 27' International (Land Yacht and Overlander badges also appear on it, but I think it's referred to as International in the literature) on Tuesday, and after parking it in the driveway, have been busy with interior restoration ever since.

Some before and afters are attached (I'm not sure how to work the external file-linker, and flickr is giving me the broken link picture):

We're still painting, and plan on doing some minor work in the bathroom. All the systems work, so far (the furnace has been keeping us warm and the water tank unfrozen, the water pump works, and it tows nicely). The jackstands I will have to replace, as they seem to have rigor mortis, and snapped when I tried to lower them.

A closet door that was not secured when we hooked up disengaged itself and will need to be re-attached. My first, but likely not my last experience with drilling out rivets.

The new flooring is 8 mm laminate from IKEA, and I'd like to recommend it, but it was very frustrating to install, and I expect it to start gapping and self-destructing as soon as it's subjected to towing stresses. In retrospect, if they had such a thing, I'd take the same pattern, which promises to hide lots of doggie paw marks, and apply it to the same rubberized vinyl strips that we have in our kitchen.

We would like to replace the mini-twin bed mattresses. Our quick measurements said that they are 73 inches long and 34 inches wide, and we have been unable to find mattresses of similar dimensions on the online IKEA catalog (we're not emotionally tied to IKEA, it just so happens they have good stuff cheap). Does anyone know a source for similarly sized mattresses?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	77272   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	77273  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	77274   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	77275  

pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
The mattresses are pretty much RV size mattresses, you may have to get them specially for an RV, though you may luck out. At least they aren't the "special Airstream" mattresses, with the corners rounded to fit in the back corners of the trailer.
I notice you've removed the wall covering in the bedroom, are you planning to replace it? It is there to keep you from rolling up against the side of the trailer, and getting woken up from the sudden cold of the aluminum.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Thanks for the welcome! We probably will replace those moldy foambacked things with something similar. We didn't know their purpose (I thought it might be similar to the paper they used to put on the backs of subway seats to keep people's hair grease from transferring to the seat). Now that we do....

Another few pictures attached:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	77276   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3210003.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	77277  

Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums.
The model of your trailer is an Overlander (27'). International and Land Yacht are trim levels. You can determine which trim level you have by the first letter of the VIN (L or I).

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageclot View Post
We probably will replace those moldy foambacked things with something similar. We didn't know their purpose (I thought it might be similar to the paper they used to put on the backs of subway seats to keep people's hair grease from transferring to the seat). Now that we do....
We used fabric remnants from getting the front couch (gaucho) recovered to cover those in our trailer. They look good, and give a sense of continuity from front to bedroom.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi and welcome to Airforum, pageclot! Good to see another Canadian here.

Just so I'm clear, on the photos above that you have posted, left ones are all before, and right is after, correct?

Will you be posting more shots of your trailer soon? Curious to see the outside too.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
We picked up our 1976 27' International (Land Yacht and Overlander badges also appear on it, but I think it's referred to as International in the literature)
International and Land Yacht theoretically were product lines. There was supposed to be 3 different lines: standard, land yacht, and international. The standard line was a stripped down bare bones model, Land Yachts had some bells and whistles and the International had the most goodies. In practice certain models only seem to have been available in one line, and I have never seen a standard model anything. Your model would be most accurately called an Overlander. To further complicate things AS took the name Land Yacht and also sold MOHOs under that name.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
But we *love* dusty rose

Yes, Aage, left is before, and right is after.

So it's official. We have a 27' Overlander, International Trim level, even though there's a badge in front of the door that says Land Yacht on it. Someone at the plant was badge-happy that day.

More photos to follow soon, when we figure out whether painting the ABS counter in the bathroom was a good idea or not.

The exterior is pretty standard non-polished aluminum. There is a small dent in the front, near the bottom. A dent on the roof where someone walked between frame members. Various dirt marks, minor pits, places where the clearcoat has come off, etc etc.

Many of the dual pane windows have condensation, signs of sealant failure, and bubbling of that plastic stuff they used for UV protection. We're going to take a look around the forums to see how to deal with that (something tells me advice will weigh heavily in favour of replacement).

Cheers.

Kevin
Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
More photos to follow soon, when we figure out whether painting the ABS counter in the bathroom was a good idea or not.

Some pointers...
Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Our International Land Yacht

Quote:
Yes, Aage, left is before, and right is after.

So it's official. We have a 27' Overlander, International Trim level, even though there's a badge in front of the door that says Land Yacht on it. Someone at the plant was badge-happy that day.

The exterior is pretty standard non-polished aluminum. There is a small dent in the front, near the bottom. A dent on the roof where someone walked between frame members. Various dirt marks, minor pits, places where the clearcoat has come off, etc etc.

Many of the dual pane windows have condensation, signs of sealant failure, and bubbling of that plastic stuff they used for UV protection. We're going to take a look around the forums to see how to deal with that (something tells me advice will weigh heavily in favour of replacement).

Cheers.

Kevin
Our 1969 Overlander was an International Land Yacht as well......it had both badges on it. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote