Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
AluminumGirl

1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Question Bedroom/Bathroom Wall Replacement

I'm a newbie and have taken on a '76 Ambassador. Among the many other projects within the project, I am thinking of replacing the wall between the center bathroom and the bedroom to accommodate the weight of a TV. Any guidance is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to airforums,com, AluminumGirl! We eagerly await pictures of your new-to-you trailer! (we are photo-mad here )

Minds far greater than my mere mortal one may advise you differently here, but in the meanwhile, what makes you feel that the wall will not support a TV?

I only ask because the wall between the bedroom and kitchen in my TT (travel trailer, one of our charming acronyms) supports my 19" TV, the satellite box, as well as a DVD player with only two bolts through it...

Most of the support brackets I have seen give good strong connections to the wall they sit on.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
AluminumGirl

1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Thank you for the reply. I think that the original wall might hold the TV etc, but it looks like a slasher occupied my AS at one time and had his way with this wall. There are several places through out the trailer that have what appears to be knife gouges. The original wall is so thin, I thought replacing it with a new hardwood wall, would not only be stronger, but prettier too.
I am hoping t reuse the metal strip that attached the original wall to the skin.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I have a 75 Ambassador with center bath. I took a tv mount off my wall that was used for a very heavy television at the time (Non flat screen), and it looks to have supported the weight alright. You could mount a block or wood or piece of lexan on the opposite side of the wall (in the bath) to give it more support if you are worried.

Steve
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumGirl View Post
Thank you for the reply. I think that the original wall might hold the TV etc, but it looks like a slasher occupied my AS at one time and had his way with this wall. There are several places through out the trailer that have what appears to be knife gouges. The original wall is so thin, I thought replacing it with a new hardwood wall, would not only be stronger, but prettier too.
I am hoping t reuse the metal strip that attached the original wall to the skin.
And yet, just by putting on one of the brackets that are purpose made to support modern TVs (I'm assuming you are talking about a flat screen TV?) you will strengthen that part of the wall.

Of course, here's another reason to post a few clear, detailed closeups of the area you are concerned about, so that we may have a better idea of what it is you are describing.

The slashes could be shown clearly using the macro mode on your camera. This is usually accessed by finding a button associated with a symbol that looks like a little flower. It gives great detail on closeups.

Here's just a wild idea of how to hide marks on that particular wall: cover it with a sheet of either aluminum or brushed stainless steel, glued on. It would look good, hide the "slashes" and also buttress the wall to some degree, depending on the material you used, of course.

I get the idea that you have a TT with a centre bath, and if this is the case, I would suggest that removing one of those walls may be more complicated than you might want to tackle as a beginner project...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
AluminumGirl

1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Thanks Steve and Aage. I have already removed the wall in order to remove the toilet, place the new floor and change the duct tubing (rats...rats). The medicine cabinet/mirror is just behind the wall and it doesn't seem to be enough room to place extra support. What a great idea to use a sheet of aluminum or the like to spiff up the damaged area. I will take and post some pictures of my project soon.
Thanks again.
Cherise