Old 06-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
plano , Texas
Where to buy pre-cut gaucho bed cushions

My 1971 Overlander 27 did not have the old cushions for the rear gaucho bed/couch. Does anyone have these cushions pre-cut so I can make sure I have the correct size. Does anyone have an old set I can copy?

Thanks,

2005 F150 Supercab w/ 5.4L, Tow Pkg, B&M Tran Temp, K&N Intake, JBA Exhaust, Hyperdyne Chip, Equalizer Hitch (Dorothy)
bbutler455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #16
Eartha

Hello,
I am new to this, and not sure if I am posting my question correctly!
I have a 1963 Overlander. I think all the sliding or "jacknifing" wood structure is in place for my front gaucho, but I must have foam cut and upholstered. Does anyone have a pattern I coould take to the foam shop? It's expensive, and I'd I'd hate to make a mistake. I've seen some gauchos that have arms to the sofa as well. That would be nice! Thanks for your help. I really enjoy reading the forums, though this is my first question. Thanks. Binny binbin@sonic.net

Old 06-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #17

1979 29' Ambassador
hallettsville , Texas
We have a 1979 29/28' Ambassador which we dearly love and she has been on several long distance trips. The couch and everything (except hot water heater) are original, for which we thank heavens! However, the foam has collapsed on the couch and I'm not crazy about the upholstery fabric; the couch is done in 2 lg pieces of foam, 1 for the back and one to sit on; I've received an estimate to redo it of $600+, which seems excessive; has anyone had better luck? sue flanagan
Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Another bed cushion question. The center pull out double on our Argosy 24 uses the separate rear cushion to make up the bed. If two people are using it this leave a crack right down the middle of where you sleep

Any ideas on how to make this more comfortable, besides making your partner sleep on that side

-Bernie
Old 06-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

But just out of curiosity...why would NASA need fancy foam mattresses? Astronauts in 0-gravity don't need "support"....the only pictures of sleeping astronauts that I've seen, they're simply teathered to a wall, so they don't float into stuff. (kind of creepy looking, actually...)
My understanding is that the foam was designed for the seats of the shuttle to help distrubute the extreme g forces expierenced on the body on launch and re-entry.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Memory Foam

Overstock.com has memory foam (different manufacturers in 2-3-4 inch depths and T/F/K. I found them much less expensive than Costco but haven't checked lately. We love ours. We bought an expensive mattress for our home (so tall I have to use a stepstool !) But it was too firm. The memory foam makes it perfect (though now I do really have to jump into bed! You can put a fitted sheet just around the foam and it holds well.

peo
Old 06-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Los Osos , California
Sources for bedding and curtains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Don't want to hijack the thread, but there are several sources of EXPENSIVE fitted sheets for Airstreams. I fulltime and am "thrifty".
Thanks for the tip about the sheet garters. I will try that.

I am curious about the sources you mentioned that have fitted Airstream sheets. I'd like to check them out even though I will probably just use the garters. Also I'd like a source for replacement curtains.

THANKS!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:06 AM   #22
ShastaRam

1974 27' Overlander
Redding , California
Deminsion of rear gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbutler455
My 1971 Overlander 27 did not have the old cushions for the rear gaucho bed/couch. Does anyone have these cushions pre-cut so I can make sure I have the correct size. Does anyone have an old set I can copy?

Thanks,
I have a 74 Overlander. When I get time I can measure along the exterior of the upholstry if you are still interested. I have the rear bath model. This is important, as the other interior configurations had different sized gauchos. Once again, let me know if you still need some meaurements.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Upholstery

Wow! Thanks so much 63GT. Your information is very helpful!!!

Any pointers on where to seek out a foam supplier in the Denver area?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
I'm planning on re-upholstering my gaucho cushions. Which is better: building the cushions with 4-5" foam and adding a 2" memory foam on top to sleep on? Or building the new cushions to incorporate the memory foam into the cushions themselves when re-upholstering?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
Paul

1979 29' Ambassador
Woodinville , Washington
replacement mattress for 79 ambasador

I replaced my mattress this summer with a memory foam mattress and it is great..purched from www.meritmark.com ..very good price..
Paul Dahl
Old 10-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #26
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAaron
I'm planning on re-upholstering my gaucho cushions. Which is better: building the cushions with 4-5" foam and adding a 2" memory foam on top to sleep on? Or building the new cushions to incorporate the memory foam into the cushions themselves when re-upholstering?
We built the memory foam into the cushions in our Safari. We couldn't be happier with the results - very comfortable to sit and sleep on. We did a 5" foam base (fairly firm) with 2" of memory foam on top. We used spray adhesive recommended by our foam shop to glue the two layers together so they wouldn't shift once inside the covers.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
Perfect Mel! That's what I needed to hear.....thank you very much! I was thinking along the same lines: firm foam base + memory foam -- just wasn't sure of the recommended sizes. Do you think I can get away with 4"+2"? Do you think the 5" is over-sized for you? Or just right?!!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #28
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I think 4" + 2" would work just fine. The mattress in our Caravel has that combination and it's very comfortable too (although that one was purchased from foamsource.com and was already glued together. We just trimmed it to fit our bed area).