Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

acton
bathroom wall material

I have to replace the wall that goes next to the tub and divides the bathroom and bunk area. Do they make a panel with one side waterproof? This is for 63 tradwind.
Thanks
durans54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think you could go one of three ways on this.

1. Use a heavy vinyl to cover one side of the plywood. This is the way the original was done.
2. Coat the wet side with exterior Spar Urethane. Or even epoxy resin.
3. Buy a sheet of shower liner fiberglass panel. That's the white pebbly stuff you see at Home Depot. Problem with this is you will need to get wall channel that is thicker, or rabbet the plywood side so that both fit into the wall channel. The channel is less than 1/4".

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think the vinyl on mine is ok and I am going to leave it the way it was.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

acton
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I think you could go one of three ways on this.

1. Use a heavy vinyl to cover one side of the plywood. This is the way the original was done.
2. Coat the wet side with exterior Spar Urethane. Or even epoxy resin.
3. Buy a sheet of shower liner fiberglass panel. That's the white pebbly stuff you see at Home Depot. Problem with this is you will need to get wall channel that is thicker, or rabbet the plywood side so that both fit into the wall channel. The channel is less than 1/4".

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think the vinyl on mine is ok and I am going to leave it the way it was.
You mentioned wall channel, do they make wider channel and who carries it?
durans54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You can look, or you could do what Airstream did.

The wall between the bunks and the kitchen is a double thickness of plywood. They took two lengths of channel, split it on a saw, and made it fit the double thickness.

Or you could buy two pieces of angle aluminum and rivet them leg out, with whatever space you need in between.

I checked Brunner Enterprises but I didn't find anything that would work.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
On our 60 trdwnd ,the panel was fine but the old sticky type of covering on the shower side needed replaced ,it was like that shelf lining sticky vinyl stuff
looked original as in one big sheet .I bought some of that white pebbly bath
covering at home depot .I measured the curved section needed and cut it out with a jig saw with a fine blade .I did a test fit then proceeded to sand
the edges to get the contour right .I used sheet plastic adhesive ,also at home depot and used a trowel to apply it so you have an even thin coat of
adhesive .I did have to remove the old shower diverter /faucet (replaced it)
Lastley ,it does not fit into the aluminum channel ,I cauked the edges all
the way around to seal it .The covering fits nicely flush with the channel and looks great.Basically the same thing markdoane has said to try and it works.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
There is one more option to consider. I just completed this method in my '61 Safari with great results. I used 1/8" plywood with FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic---The pebbly stuff from Home Depot) attached to it with the panel adhesive. The end result is a 1/4" panel that is waterproof and fits well into the channel. The panel seems to be even stiffer than the original 1/4" panel. Just another thought to add to the confusion!
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
There is one more option to consider. I just completed this method in my '61 Safari with great results. I used 1/8" plywood with FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic---The pebbly stuff from Home Depot) attached to it with the panel adhesive. The end result is a 1/4" panel that is waterproof and fits well into the channel. The panel seems to be even stiffer than the original 1/4" panel. Just another thought to add to the confusion!
Sam
I used that stuff also.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Other options

Check out fx sheeting from Alsa Corp. www.alsacorp.com

Not cheap, but the product water proof, and looks great.

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote