Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Divide , Colorado
Bathroom surface refinish question

I have been looking at a mid 70's Tradewind and although I like the trailer it's self the bathroom is that nasty 70's yellowish tint . Is there any way to change the color short of tearing it out and starting over. A full bathroom gut is not in my budget. I'm thinking maybe an epoxy based pait or something like that. What do you guys think?
gloriavoxdei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriavoxdei View Post
I have been looking at a mid 70's Tradewind and although I like the trailer it's self the bathroom is that nasty 70's yellowish tint . Is there any way to change the color short of tearing it out and starting over. A full bathroom gut is not in my budget. I'm thinking maybe an epoxy based pait or something like that. What do you guys think?
The plastic bathroom furniture can easily be refinished.

Proper technics and of course top of the line materials must be used.

Many commercial companies offer that service as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Divide , Colorado
What materials are used to do the refinish. I want to do all the work myself not only to save money but because I enjoy doing that sort of thing (not getting high on the fumes).
Old 12-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
First off, how is the weather in Divide, Co. We have been under a storm warning for past 3 days and overall have about 14" of the white stuff in our yard. With Divide being a little higher elevation than SW Colorado you may have more. Anyway, if you have a steady hand and are not afraid of a spray paint, their is a spray paint on the market that is especially designed for vinyl and I am sure it would work on the bathroom fixtures. We had some nasty green colored vinyl lawn chairs and used the spray paint on them and painted them to match the blue stripe on our Excella and that was 4-5 years ago and they still haven't lost their color.
Just an idea and may help you from "hiring a professional". Only thing you will need to worry about would be ventilation and overspray. It can be purchased at any of the big box stores. I think we paid about $3.97 per can.
Enjoy....
Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey GVD, there are many folks who have done this, and there is a lot of information on this Forum about it. I know that some have used the Krylon paint formulated specifically for plastics, I think it is called "Fusion." According to some who have used it, it seems to have held up well, at least for a season's worth. I don't know if anyone has much more data than that, though.

Others have used epoxy paints with great results too.

The first step is to figure out what your bathroom parts are made of, whether it's ABS plastic or fiberglass or something else, because that will determine the products that you use. I don't know much about the 70s models, but there are a LOT of people on here who do. I think it's some sort of ABS plastic.

For ABS plastic, several people have used and recommend Tough As Tile epoxy paint that can be found at hardware stores and the big boxes as well.

Here's a webpage for a forum member who redid his whole bathroom with 2-part epoxy paint-- he didn't mention the brand, but the results are great:

1972 27

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I bought my epoxy white paint at lowes. It is called 2 part epoxy. I sanded with 000 steel wool, painted it on. Let it dry sanded again and then sprayed it on. It came out looking like porcelain. check out my link.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...n-38204-7.html

Also check the last page and you will see the bathroom put back together.

Lothlorian
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Divide , Colorado
The weather up here is cold but we haven't gotten a whole lot of snow. Plenty of drifting from the last storm due to the wind though. Thanks for all the replies, this gives me hope that I'll be able to convince my wife it's better to get a 70's AS then a box trailer from the early 90's. I keep telling her that I can change the 70's color scheme and now I can tell her how, and it's even affordable if I do it.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My wife was not into a trailer at first until we bought retirement property. She never liked any of the trailers we looked at until I showed her the airstream. She has been the major player in decoration and colors. She really likes it and finds it to be more open and visually pleasing. Take your wife do a walk through of an old airstream. That may convincer her.

Lothlorian
Old 12-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello... The vinyl covering in our bathroom in the Argosy was lifting.. so we removed all of it and got white eraserboard in 4x8 sheet and cut it to fit and used contact cement and redid the walls to the bathroom in that... for the shower we used a pieced shower kit and did all of the walls in that... Hubby painted the shower pan and outside wall for the shower with brilliant white from Por .... We have been living in it since Nov 8 as we are snowbirds.. and the bathroom looks great...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriavoxdei View Post
What materials are used to do the refinish. I want to do all the work myself not only to save money but because I enjoy doing that sort of thing (not getting high on the fumes).
Your bath parts are ABS.

Follow the suggestions in post # 6.

It's best however, to use a primer after the sanding. Then sand the primer down so that you can obtain a smooth finish.

Epoxy paints are good, and so are automotive paints (not in spray cans), but bulk, where you would use a spray gun.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's a link to a "Classic Ride" show where they do just what you are thinkg of doing to your trailer.

Click .
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I like to use fiberglass "gelcoat" this is the last coat used in the constuction of boats, it comes in amy color you can think of and is the only thing I feel will last! (constant abuse and water) It is easy to use but the fumes are very strong!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Divide , Colorado
So if I do a gelcoat then my buddya and I will come out of the trailer looking like cheech and chong? That could be interesting. On a more serious note, how intensive is it to do a gelcoat to ALL the plastic surfaces (I'll just replace the the potty).
Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Here's a link to a "Classic Ride" show where they do just what you are thinkg of doing to your trailer.

Click .
While you are at it, Check out all the work they did on this airstream. They had a lot of neat ideas.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote