Old 05-10-2004, 11:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

gee. it was such a nice trailer, don't you wish you could re-negotiate the sales price?

seriously, I'm jealous, we've been totally consumed remodeling the house we just bought, and haven't had a minute to spend in the ole Airstream since we saw you guys last. Good luck with the remodeling. Mike n Becky

Old 05-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Ok, this section of dry rot is not as easy of a fix as I thought. After assessing the situation further I hollered UNCLE and gave up. Took the trailer down to Camper Clinic in Buda, TX this afternoon and turned it over to them. More than I want to deal with. The verdict is they will have to cut the corner section of flooring back to the first frame cross member and insert a new section of wood (after they fix the leak). The good thing is the area is completely exposed right now so the repair will be in full view when I go to pick up the trailer. This will give me some satisfaction and confidence in the job as I'll be able to see every last detail of the repair work. I'll post pictures.

Joe

Old 05-11-2004, 08:31 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
There's no shame in handing a project off to someone else who you trust to do the job right, instead of fumbling through it yourself. Looks like you got quite a ways on it at least, so you'll know what they did when you get it back.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
New Couch & Panels

Got the couch & panels back from the upholstery shop here in Austin(Ambrose Upholstery). They did an awesome job. Posted a few pics below of the couch, panels, curtains & cat (Stella). Everything is coming together. Now if I can only get the trailer back from the dealer in Buda I could start putting it all back together. But that will not happen until next Friday. Until then I'll just have to imagine what it will look like while it sits in my living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch_small.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch pattern & Cat_small.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	6606  

Name:	Couch, drape & panel_small.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	6607  
Old 05-15-2004, 08:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Question

Your sofa looks great...we have the exact layout only a 29' '93 Excella...looks the same, same oak, same finish...had our sofa redone too..did not do the panels could not see what they were supposed to do so we are going to throw them away. We are building storage in oak on the sides of the sofa with oak lift top panels to set drinks on ..we would like to change the twins to a double...have you thought about doing that or not. If so, how, size and especially managing to keep the storage below...
Old 05-15-2004, 09:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Is that one of those Texas Wildcats? I like the state theme fabric. Is GW on there somewhere. How about the other guy on the setting down part?
Old 05-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
kmtyme - Haven't thought about the double bed yet. Been happy with the twins so far. Don’t think I’d live very long if I told my wife I wanted to spend any more money on this trailer.

psychpw – No GW is not on there. You also asked: "How about the other guy on the setting down part?” What do you mean “other guy on the setting down part”?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:33 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

looks good

The uphostery looks great Joe, I'll probably want to use that shop when we do our couch. I like the choice of fabric, fun, yet still coordinates real well with your colors. Looks like a fabric you might find at the Texas State Museum store. I'd also be interested in knowing if you're satisfied with the work that the Airstream Dealer did. Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 11:25 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Picking the trailer up from the Airstream dealer (Camper Clinic) in Buda, TX this afternoon and will start putting it back together tomorrow. Anxious to see how they did with replacing a section of floor and fixing the leak in the skin. Additionally they had to replace some of the decal, repair a rear tail light & reapply the beltline in some sections. For those of you in the Austin area I'll take plenty of pictures to show the quality of their work (good or bad).

Joe
Old 06-26-2004, 05:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Ok, I finally got the floor fixed and started back with the interior remodeling. Needless to say the floor repair did not go as expected. Two dealers botched the job so I finally did it myself. If you'd like to see the thread associated with the floor replacement click on this link:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11903

I plan to put the rest of the curtains, upholstered wall panels, & newly upholstered couch back in tomorrow. Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Joe's Floor Repair.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	7335  
Old 06-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Bedroom is Back Together

Got the bedroom back together. It's all down hill from here! Knock on wood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bedroom back together.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	7342  
Old 06-26-2004, 09:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
That guy from you here in Taxachusetts where you put your, well, you know.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:21 AM   #27
qqq
4 Rivet Member

I liked the Granny's look it had before.

Ron
Old 06-27-2004, 09:11 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Well I guess when I said "knock on wood" in my earlier post I should of actually knocked on some wood instead of just typing it. It rained really hard and long yesterday and I discovered some leaks I didn't know I had. A few underneath the front wrap around window and one by the front door. Required removing about four inner panels to diagnose and treat them. I guess putting the couch back in is a few days away.

1. Front rock guards (top &b bottom). Previous owner installed these and did not seal the rivets & screws properly when installing. Had to completely remove & reinstall with Vulkem under everything. Also sealed new rivets from the inside since I had the panels off.

2. Loose factory rivet on outside door jamb. The one on the left hand side right at the bottom. Water would hit that rivet and follow it into the U channel where it would then deposit itself on the floor and eventually (with a lot of rain like yesterday) show the leak inside at the bottom the door jamb. Drilled the rivet, applied some Vulkem, and inserted a new rivet.

Tomorrow, after leak testing, I will start to put the insulation and inner skin back on. Joe