Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Attaching images to ABS plastic

Hello folks.Wife and I are thinking about afixing images from magazines and newspapers to our front end cap on our airstream trailer.It has gotten old and yellowed,also has a couple cracks. Does anyone have ideas how we would go about doing this.We would like a satin finish when done with it.Wife said mod podge if I am pronouncing that right.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Attaching images to ABS plastic

Greetings Tom C.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
Hello folks.Wife and I are thinking about afixing images from magazines and newspapers to our front end cap on our airstream trailer.It has gotten old and yellowed,also has a couple cracks. Does anyone have ideas how we would go about doing this.We would like a satin finish when done with it.Wife said mod podge if I am pronouncing that right.
I am not certain about the properties of today's mod podge, but the product that I remember from the 1970s had a tendency to yellow and crack when exposed to protracted periods of high heat such as when a trailer might be stored during the hot summer months. I don't know whether coating the final product with a matte finish polyurethane (be sure that the polyurethane is non-yellowing) would reduce the likelihood of cracking or crazing.

I think that your idea would produce a wonderful atmosphere of travel and adventure!

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

P.S.: You may need to lightly scuff the ABS plastic with very fine sandpaper prior to applying your decorative finish.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
"mod podge" seems to be a line of decoupage products with a really, really poor website. It's hard to find any info on what sorts of surfaces it's designed to work with, but the fact that most of them say "cleans up with water and soap" suggests that it's not likely to be harmful to the plastic.

Another thing to consider for sprucing up the endcap (unless you are just specifically looking to cover it up with decoupage) is to fill the cracks with an appropriate epoxy (perhaps with a layer or two of fiberglass cloth behind it for strength) and then to use a paint designed for plastic such as Krylon Fusion.

I'd recommend doing the epoxy/fiberglass fix before doing the decoupage anyway, since the cracks could continue to grow.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'd recommend doing the epoxy/fiberglass fix before doing the decoupage anyway, since the cracks could continue to grow.
This is really good advice. Another piece of advise would be to also paint it with Krylon Fusion before your "mod podge" at least their primer, the "mod podge" may stick better to the paint then just the plastic.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Thanks for your comment Kevin.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Decupodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
"mod podge" seems to be a line of decoupage products with a really, really poor website. It's hard to find any info on what sorts of surfaces it's designed to work with, but the fact that most of them say "cleans up with water and soap" suggests that it's not likely to be harmful to the plastic.

Another thing to consider for sprucing up the endcap (unless you are just specifically looking to cover it up with decoupage) is to fill the cracks with an appropriate epoxy (perhaps with a layer or two of fiberglass cloth behind it for strength) and then to use a paint designed for plastic such as Krylon Fusion.

I have heard of that method before.I did some canoeing before kayaks down some fairly rough water.I always kept fiberglass and epoxy around. Thank you for the reminder though
I am still serching for other ideas and advice before procedding with this project.My hope is that someone will come aslong thats tried it before.Wife and I cut out quite a few cowboy and western images the other night and taped them up there.We had the kids over and they gave their approval.That was somewhat encourging.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Thanks Wazbro. I will do that good advice. I intend to go out and take a photo of it today.I will post it so you folks can get the idea of what I am trying for.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Use wallpaper paste to attach the pics to the endcaps and then use a clear polyurethane to coat and seal the images or if you want to tape it all up and spray you could use an automotive clear coat and seal it.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Youngstown , Ohio
I used mod podge to make a camp box. It went down over wood tho. Easy to do. Put mod podge (which is nothing more than glue) down first. Lay picture and brush glue over top. Can just keep adding layers. Only advice is to rub picture down good getting all the air bubbles out. Let dry well between coats. I did polyurethane coats over all once completed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2234034681.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	191930
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I used mod podge to make a camp box. It went down over wood tho. Easy to do. Put mod podge (which is nothing more than glue) down first. Lay picture and brush glue over top. Can just keep adding layers. Only advice is to rub picture down good getting all the air bubbles out. Let dry well between coats. I did polyurethane coats over all once completed.
Attachment 191930
Hey really nice splinter. I like that.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Photo's of End Cap

Name:	20130728_085854.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	192013

Name:	20130728_090054.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	192014

Name:	20130728_090125.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	192015

Here is a few photos of my end cap folks.We taped them up to get the feel of what it would look like. Lots of good ideas so far.Never thought about wallpaper glue.I would not have thought it would stick to the ABS surface.We are really getting excited to do this project.Wife has added the bathroom wall and entry door to the list if I can come up with a solid method. Thanks for all the input and advice.We will post images as we go along in case others would like to try it.Keep your thoughts and comments coming please.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Attachment 191930
Where did you get your images splinter?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Wallpaper glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
Use wallpaper paste to attach the pics to the endcaps and then use a clear polyurethane to coat and seal the images or if you want to tape it all up and spray you could use an automotive clear coat and seal it.
Would you mind sharing some more of your method for wallpaper glue?I would never had thought about using that.Not sure it would stick to the ABS.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Youngstown , Ohio
Okiegent - Some of the pictures are from actual old magazines I had been collecting but a lot are from things I didn't want to ruin so they are off a copy machine. Once you glue and put coats of poly on top you can't tell the difference. You can also make the size you want. You can also print images from the internet that you could never obtain otherwise. I did same technique to serving trays, storage boxes, pretty much anything.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Youngstown , Ohio
This was my first attempt. You can see where it bubbled up. Still use it tho.

Name:	image-2707816667.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	192016
Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Youngstown , Ohio
It got better as I went along. Learned a trick. If you get bubbles when putting second coats on take an xacto knife and make little cuts in picture to let air out. It's easy. Go for it. Worse part was finding enough pictures. Good luck.

Name:	image-3023164191.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	192019
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1189457099.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	830.0 KB
ID:	192017   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3904506701.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	192018  

Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
There's a big stack of Life Magazines from the 50's upstairs in the old adobe ranch house where I live. I'd like to do this with a few images of those ladies in the fancy aprons advertising the kitchen appliances for my AS kitchen. So different than anything that happens around here!
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
modpodge

Sounds like a great idea Jane.Its always exciting to start a new project and improve our trailers.we hope haha.Sorry about the slow reply I really have had my hands full lately.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
A trick I saw at U of Minn used the acrylic painting Gloss Gel product (Gesso is opaque) where one if can get a coat dried on an object you can do a transfer of a picture to it...

The ceramic coating on old magazines like National Geographic makes it work best, they put a fine clay over the paper pulp to make the page ultra-smooth and accept inks that plain paper can't.

The way I saw was putting a fresh thin coat over the dried 1st coat and then pressing on the magazine page and letting it dry, then c a r e f u l l y rubbing away the paper pulp and most of the ceramic glaze to leave only the inked photo.

It's surprising that some of these can transfer a great image and some not-so-well, a lot of experimentation is required. Perhaps the magazine cover images work best as they are the richest in inks.

A quick scan shows many google hits, here is one: Transferring Printed Images into Artwork

I think the extra step of a first coat makes sure there is enough of the medium there that the image gets better bonded so a little careless rubbing or too-long wet time won't ruin it as easily.

Working with a curved surface may make it extra difficult, this process alreay has enough antique 'patinia' so the creases or pleat drop-outs may make some really unexpected results...
Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Oh - and since its acrylic artists supply it is completely reversible...