Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Argosy Interrior

I have a '77 Argosy 28' MH. The gaskets(channels) lining the track on the side sliding windows has corroded and swelled so I can't open them. I have the maintanance manual which has about two sentences about removal. Can anyone give me more complete instructions, any tricks, etc.?
Also, the bannister for the drapes has popped out of the side/roor panel taking a thumbnail piece of the interrior plastic lining with it. Is there any way to securely reattach it? Because of the stress, I don't think glue or epoxy will work.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Those gaskets are readily available, and removing the windows is a process that can be accomplished with some care. I recall that the release for the sliding window is underneath it, where you push with a stiff wire and it will allow it to be taken out.

Hopefully Peter will elaborate as he has redone most of his if not all. Check the photos he posted on the skin/ window/ door removal and replacement.
Welcome to the site by the way- sorry you missed our rally in Pensacola last week. It was quite educational.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:58 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have replaced all of the channels on my 76 argosy and can tell you how it is done. I will post the instructions from the service manual I have later tonight as well as the parts I purchased and my sources.

For your MH plan on spending $200-280 for all of what you need.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:53 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Cool Parts Info to replace window channels

Quoted from the Airstream Service manual:

1. Move the sliding portion of the glass to the full open position

2. Starting at the point where the ends meet (top center of the window frame), carefully work the flexible "slagle" window glass channel out of its groove in the window frame. Work around the window opening to the point where the window glass prevents the channel from being removed any further.

3. Cut the "slagle” channel off at the point reached in step 2.

4. Move the sliding portion of the glass forward into the channel groove in the frame and remove glass from vehicle.

5. Repeat the process with the fixed portion of the glass.

6. Remove balance of flexible channel.

7. To install, reverse the removal procedure. Butt the ends of the flexible channel at the top and bottom.

This works for the screens as well.

My advice is to cut down on costs, only go up the sides as far as necessary to get into "good" channel. Do not worry about the fixed glass; I think they are referring to a newer window style.
I have mine seamed at the bottom as well as on the sides and there is no problem with sealing. No glue or adhesive is necessary, but I suggest an old toothbrush and a vacuum cleaner to get the bulk of the crud out.

Parts list:

"Slagle" channel Called Gasket window channel @ $2.75 per ft.
Got mine at Florida outdoors Part # 684910 Ph # 561-288-2221
This is used for both the window and the screen; remember to do your math!

If you want to replace the outside seal, grey plastic that goes around the edge of the window, it is called trim seal @ $2.55 per ft. Got mine from Andy at Inland RV Part # 34708. My recommendation on the trim seal is use 1 piece per window top to bottom. I needed 31 ft to do mine. You will also want to get a tube of Parr Bond to glue the seal into the outer track from Andy at Inland Part # 51600 @$6.25 per tube. 1 tube is enough.

If you replace the channel, but the windows are still stiff: you will need to replace the Trim seal, and maybe the wiper. Try to avoid replacing the wiper (vertical grey rubber) as it is a REAL PAIN to reinstall.

Sorry for the length of the post, but lots to know on this. It took me a month to get all the right parts!

Post any questions and Good luck.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 04-17-2002, 09:34 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Brett,
Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. Problem is that I cannot accomplish # 1. My windows can't be opened. What now??
Manley
Old 04-17-2002, 10:28 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
The only option you may have is to pull the channel out of the backside bottom first. I found that if I really worked the windows I could open them, but it was REALLY HARD.
What condition is the outside grey trim seal? If it is stiff it could be binding the windows so they cannot open. Also are you sure that you are unlatching the window. The latch works by pushing up on the vertical bar and then pushing the top of the rocker in the direction the window should move. I do not want to insult you by covering something so basic, but it took me a while to figure out how to get them to move. Also if they have not been used in a while you may want to make sure that the lock pawl is disengaging on the lock tab. You will need to look in from the top as you move the latches as described above. If this is sticking that could be the issue.

If you pull the back channel out you may be able to get some of it out from under the window and then it will allow you to open it.

The other option is to try to soften up the gook that is holding the window in place. I would reccomend starting with water, but you may have to resort to some type of penetrating oil.

Hope this all helps in some way.

Good Luck,
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49