Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Another mystery: the case of the missing holes!

I’m still puttering around in the bathroom, lots of little things to do there, and one of them is to change out the broken mirror in the sliding door that separates the bathroom from the sleeping area. I have enough bad luck without invoking more from the AS TT gods!

Avid readers will no doubt remember that I have the ever-popular rear (or “full” as the Service Manual calls it) bathroom model.

I quote from the Service Manual:
Sliding Bath Door Mirror Removal and Replacement (Int’l. Rear Bath)
  1. Door must be removed from track. (See sliding bath door removal below)
At which point I stopped and looked down, finding:
Sliding Bath Door Removal and Replacement (Int’l. Rear Bath & L.Y.)

b. From bathroom, close bath door

c. There are ˝” holes drilled through top of track to line up with Phillips screws securing plastic slide to top of door.

d. Reach over top of door header and with magnetized Phillips screwdriver extended through ˝” hole, remove the two screws from each plastic slide.

e. Support door while removing screws.

f. Lower door to clear track and remove.

g. Reverse procedures for reinstallation.
Well, it sounds just soooo easy-peasy simple, makes you want to write lyrics to it, doesn’t it? Well, don’t: they lie through their teeth about the ˝” holes. I didn’t find ONE!

Thinking that this was another case of me not seeing the forest for the holes, I spent half an hour looking at the door (from the bathroom AND sleeping lounge), feeling across the top of the frame while reaching over the door header, and no way José is there anything even faintly resembling holes up there. I took a small hand mirror and looked from another angle, just to make sure that perhaps the holes had clever little plugs thus making them invisible, but no, again nothing.

Then, completely flummoxed, I asked SWMBO to have a look, and she willingly spent another half hour, mostly repeating what I had done. She did however discover that Part #08107 (beading, the very top item in the rear header assembly) was either never installed at the factory, or had somehow been pulled out at some point in the last thirty-five years. It was there, but just laying in a dusty heap out of view on the top of the still-sealed track. This revelation, while interesting, did not help us find the holes.

Therefore, dear reader, if you have read this far, I beg of you to have a look at your AS model having a similar construction of door, and tell me if you can find the holes, or failing that, please be so kind as to let me know what you have done in order to remove the door.

Thanking you in advance, I remain your most humble servant,

.^
/-|age
Old 06-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I have different instructions but from the 72 manual - that would work for mine - not sure about yours but it may be worth a shot. Do you have a wardrobe on the curbside next to the door opening...? If you do, two of the screws may be located in the wardrobe.

With the door open....

From the bedroom facing the bath - remove the screw securing the header to the panel extrusion on the street side.

My addition as mine has one - Look in the track also at the street side end to make sure a screw is not located there installed at an upward angle.

Two additional screws are shown securing the header on that same end - in the wardrobe if you have one. Mine are on the bath side in the open.

In the track on the CURB side remove the stop screw.

"Close the door fully and swing the track into the bath. The door and track can now be removed."

Good luck.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Gary,

Thanks for the reply, will try that avenue in the morning.

ps: I have the twin beds, no wardrobe, but after posting, I had one last look to see if I was missing the holes, but I'm convinced Im not, so your idea sounds logical.

Tags
door removal, rear bathroom