Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2004, 10:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
... and before going to Chateauroux in 1957 my dad was an instrument flight instructor in T-33s at Wright-Patterson. Now those had the same color and as many rivets as Airstreams. I'm surprised you went through a few SOBs before your 22-footer.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:42 AM   #22
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Canoe stream
... and before going to Chateauroux in 1957 my dad was an instrument instructor in T-33s at Wright-Patterson. Now those had the same color and as many rivets as Airstreams. I'm surprised you went through a few SOBs before your 22-footer.
I looked at Airstreams earlier in the sequence, but the local dealer at that time seemed pretty uninterested in selling Airstreams and he didn't stock a model that really turned me on. I didn't really care for the Bambi. He could probably have sold me a 23-footer if he had made a real effort, but I wan't even told they existed.

I should have been looking at used Airstreams, but that was before the internet made them more available.

It was only when the 22' International hit the street that I saw an Airstream that I really wanted.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
gel

In a pinch, the clear silicone also works good as a hair gel for styling yourself.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
C-119 Flying Airstream?

Okay John -- I had archived some of your handy 22' International modification photos. What did I come across but.... I guess you are being humble about how you got turned on to Airstreams. It looks like you were busy on this before getting your last trailer.

John, Don and all the others -- I tell vets every day -- Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c-119 ccd    640x480.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	4702  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-04-2004, 07:15 AM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: C-119 Flying Airstream?

Quote:
Originally posted by Canoe stream
Okay John -- I had archived some of your handy 22' International modification photos. What did I come across but.... I guess you are being humble about how you got turned on to Airstreams. It looks like you were busy on this before getting your last trailer.

John, Don and all the others -- I tell vets every day -- Thank you!
I love it. I'll save that picture. Come to think about it, about a 28' wide body Airstream and the cargo compartment of a C-119 would be a pretty close match in size. The accommodations in a C-119 were a lot less plush, though, especially the toilet facilities.

For all its awkward look, the C-119 was a real pleasure to fly. Heavy as it looks, it was designed to be flown in formation with one hand on the yoke and one hand on the throttles. Control pressures were so light that a plaque on the instrument panel warned that the aircraft could be overstressed with one hand. Pretty good for 64,000# and 7,000 hp.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 12:15 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

???

John - I know you modified the International to the hilt but that ain't it flying high. Looks more like the CCD.
Gerald Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Chateauroux , Indre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
... and before going to Chateauroux in 1957 my dad was an instrument flight instructor in T-33s at Wright-Patterson. Now those had the same color and as many rivets as Airstreams. I'm surprised you went through a few SOBs before your 22-footer.
Hi,
I still live in Chateauroux, came back in 1976.See my site!
www.airstream-france.com

Mike
rustic_kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic_kilo
I still live in Chateauroux, came back in 1976.
Hi Mike! This is a surprise and I enjoyed seeing your website. You 'came back' for what? Were you an AF dependent or associated with the Deols airbase? I went to Touvent school across the road from the 410 housing area (grades 3, 4 & 5 for me, from Christmas of '57 until Easter of '60). We actually lived in a local economy apartment about 3 blocks east of Touvent (252 Grand Champs as I remember it, though Mapquest isn't cooperating... ). I enjoyed walking to school along a swamp and farm road. I bet the area is no longer at the fringe of the city. I've got many warm memories of living on the local economy!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Chateauroux , Indre
Chateauroux

Hi Bob,
actually my Dad is "Joe", maybe you heard about him,if not your Dad must remember. "Joe From Maine" was the first hamburger fast food in France in 1952, it drained a lot of GI's from the base until 1967. Dad paid tuition so I could go to school on the base, first Touvent then La Martinerie until 1966 before the base closed. After that I went back to the States to finish High School, took a crack at college then joined the Air Force in 1969. Vietnam as a French-English interpreter with the FAC and then Athens for the rest of my time (1973), went back to Maine for a few years then came back to Chateauroux to run my dad's place. Am now pre-retired, 3 kids & 3 grandchildren.My airstream is just for family and hosting, the French love it and I rent it out just about all summer. At first I had some plumbing and air-contioning problems but got those worked out, the hardest thing was to find a 220v to 120v transformer big enough to run the air-conditioner and gas heater blower at a good speed.I go past Touvent quite often, they renovated the housing area but the elementary shool is still at the same place, have you had a look at this site? http://chateaurouxamericanhighschool.com/

If you want a good shot of Chateauroux try this link,
http://www.geoportail.com/index.php?...layAccueilVisu

it's in French but easy to use.
Mike
Old 08-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
French Connection

KISMET!

I hate to get into a hijacked thread, but this is too good.

I too have a Chateauroux connection. My Dad was a pilot instructor at Laon/Couvron where we lived on the economy. We would go visit that Base for resupply. The pictures on the linked site bring back the same "U.S. Go Home" memories. Later on, I was Co-pilot on the last C-130 to fly out of Chateauroux....the exodus when we did in fact "Go Home."....cargo was 16,000 pounds of U.S. currency. My planned trip to visit the old homes in Braine and Berthincourt this Sept. have been put on hold becuase of the turmoil in flying. I have a Caravel based plan "B".

By the way...if your interested in old C-119 aluminum for sale...
http://www.greatamerican.com/admin/u...HPbrochure.pdf
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Chateauroux , Indre
US Commemoration in Chateauroux

There will be a" 40th commemoration of the presence of US troops" weekend at Chateauroux the 29/30 september 2007.

It's not too late to sign up!
Chateauroux American High School - Homepage