Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
This is really very interesting, I did the paint TUBBY. I really like the finish and so does everyone else who see our bathroom. Not sure how the finish will wear as we don't have any kids to dance around in the tub. If I have a new project in refinishing the ABS, I am going to try this first.

1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
What will it do on the wall vinyl?
I hope you tried a bit there too.

And the interior end-caps/domes???

Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Hmmm I just took some 1200 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded and restored to the original color with very little effort.

Afterward I did use Turtle Wax to really get a bright shinny finish.

Garry
Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
For those this method doesn't work for, Rustoleum Appliance Enamel comes in a color called "Buscuit" that is almost a perfect match for the original off white plastic used in vintage Airstreams.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I've seen people say that about the sanding before, too, and in a recent thread, someone reported using 320 grit, and working up to the super-fine. So I tried a piece of 320...and um...well, I don't think I'd actually live long enough to sand it all down. at least, not by hand. (yikes). I suppose, though, that there are all different levels of yellowing going on. maybe some are just that much worse than others.

"appliance enamel"....that sounds rugged. did you use it? how's it hold up?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
"appliance enamel"....that sounds rugged. did you use it? how's it hold up?
My dad used it in his '72 to repaint the bathroom sink and shower pan about seven years ago. I used it a couple of years later to repaint several miscellaneous interior bits. It's still holding up great in both trailers, even the shower pan. I just bought a couple of more cans of it last week to paint the air conditioner shroud in my '69, so it is still available and easy to find.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #21
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
I'm going to try this method from another thread, along with a good wax type sealer/protectant after:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...tic-48931.html

I'm afraid that the paint on stuff will just wear off or flake.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
I removed all the bath from a 78 Sovereign (Rear Bath) and sprayed on two coats of "Tile Doc" two part epoxy paint from Sherman Williams. It is like steel and harder than the Orig. Looked like a new from the factory bath outfit when done,but you must clean with a degreaser then with Zylnol then sand with 220 then re-clean with Zylnol to get all the old soap scum out before painting with anything. That soap scum goes deep and will make any paint fish eye if not cleaned properly.
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Holy crap

This is a repeat from my post http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...tic-48931.html but worth posting here also.

I tried the Retr0bright on the kitchen window surround it is ABS plastic like the front endcap and has the same print on it. I did some testing before I painted my endcap and do know the print or design on the endcap can be taken off with MEK or Xylene.

The Retr0bright stuff lightens up the ABS plastic but does not touch the print. Wish I had heard about this sooner.

This could be done with out taking the ABS parts out of the trailer, use a 4' shop light with some UV lights instead of the sun.

bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thumbs up

Excellent!! mine has the same "print", and I was kind of wondering about that...seems that most years have a solid color. The other thing about mine is that it seems perfectly fine; no yellowing at all...except in a couple of spots. maybe its just not subject to alot of direct sunlight?? anyway, I always thought it was in much too good a shape to mess with it. very different from the bathroom parts. I would have guessed that it was made from an entirely different material.
anyway, I'm definitely going to have to try this. Kudos to those who found it!!!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Bruce what exactly is the state of the things there in your pictures?
I know those are ABS parts but please be more specific on the areas that are different colors. Was all coated and only some lightened? or is some in the pics still "cooking", or what exactly is happening there?
Is the beige paint or just ABS aging or is that nicotine or what?
Is the "bleached" result uniform regardless of time left to work, or is it critical to time the stuff carefully? In other words will different times of treatment and thickness of standing solution leave a splotchiness of various shades of "renewed off-white"?

Also I am confused about the print on the endcaps. Was there also a print on the kitchen window close-out ? Was the print from the factory you think or some previous owner's brain child?

Sad how this thread which is and was about the new chemical reaction process somehow devolved into a painting one. There are plenty of threads regards epoxy painting and other paints for ABS.
I want to know much more about this "peroxide" method of cleaning/re-newing.

Like what if anything does it do on the vinyl walls, and the mystery composition interior end domes.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Bruce what exactly is the state of the things there in your pictures?
I know those are ABS parts but please be more specific on the areas that are different colors. Was all coated and only some lightened? or is some in the pics still "cooking", or what exactly is happening there?
Is the beige paint or just ABS aging or is that nicotine or what?
Is the "bleached" result uniform regardless of time left to work, or is it critical to time the stuff carefully? In other words will different times of treatment and thickness of standing solution leave a splotchiness of various shades of "renewed off-white"?

Also I am confused about the print on the endcaps. Was there also a print on the kitchen window close-out ? Was the print from the factory you think or some previous owner's brain child?

Sad how this thread which is and was about the new chemical reaction process somehow devolved into a painting one. There are plenty of threads regards epoxy painting and other paints for ABS.
I want to know much more about this "peroxide" method of cleaning/re-newing.

Like what if anything does it do on the vinyl walls, and the mystery composition interior end domes.
I second that ??????
Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
We have the print on our front endcap as well...definitely from the factory that way. This is definitely one of the best ways to restore faded/stained ABS, but does anyone know if there are long-term effects. Another post detailed how bleach will turn the ABS brittle. I know bleach and peroxide are different chemicals, but I'm just wondering if there have been any noted side effects of this cleaning process.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
We have only had our plastics brightened for about a month on some parts but it doesn't feel brittle or different in any way so far.

We did brighten the plastic surround for our clock and thermometer as well as the plastic cover for the air conditioner. Both of these pieces have a print or pattern on them that matches our walls and there was no adverse effect at all. They turned out great actually.

We didn't plan on using this process for the interior vinyl walls because it is a different material and I believe there were other methods of cleaning it. We were going to skip using it on our endcaps as well because they have many cracks that need to be repaired so we will end up painting these.

When doing the retrobrite I did notice that the brightening would mottle a bit but after my third application the color was nice and even and pretty darned impressive. My plastic looks new. I am beyond happy with our results. I will post pictures as soon as I am home when the light is good enough to take them.

Lisa