Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
A Dumb Question: How to remove curtain snaps on railing?.

I just purchase a 1991 29ft Excella and the rear curtains are hanging in the closet. I want to put them up, but there are a couple of snaps on the railing. I tried to unscrew them, but they just keep turning around and around. Is there a tool that I need to use? How the heck do I get these snaps off so that I can put up my curtains?
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

wichita , Kansas
I just took my curtains off of my 05 safari to wash them. I took the end caps off of one end of the rails and fed them back on. I hope this helps. I have been on this forum asking for help, this is the first time I have Experiance to pass on.
tinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'm not sure I understand completely. Are the snaps on the railing interfering with putting the curtains back on? Snaps are often part of the curtain setup to secure the curtain edges.

Can you take a picture?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Ours has snaps on the curtain edges.. They just unsnap . Do you mean the end caps the where the curtain hangers feed into?
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hi,

I have pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them.. When I click the picture icon it wants a link??

No dkrug the snap is in the curtain rail and also serves as a stop, between the longer back curtains and the short side curtains. I think I'll try wedging a screwdriver in between the snap and pry it apart. Not sure how I'm going to get it back in...

Thanks so much,
Vickie
Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Is snap pop rivited on? If so drill out rivet but do not wedge screw driver & pry will damaqe track.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
To post pictures, click the "Go Advanced" button below the Reply window. Then click the paperclip icon at the top. This leads to a pop up window that lets you upload pictures.

To insert the pictures in the text, you click the paperclip again and insert the pictures you want into the places where you want them in your text.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Pictures will also tell us what kind of curtain rail you have. Are there any slider things anywhere along your rail? If there are, it could be that the curtains were removed for cleaning, but the hardware is still in place and the snap can stay where it is.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
I had to remove and then put back on all my '91 Excella drapes for my restoration. First I numbered each panel and drew a corresponding graphic on the tops of the insides of 2 banker's boxes so they could be laid into the banker boxes
while working. It was a real challenge both taking them off and putting them back up because of the order in which they had to be taken down considering snaps on the rails etc.
Our Excella rail in the back bedroom comes apart in the middle of the bottom rail once the screws holding the bottom "L" channel bracket in place. Only by taking this apart will you be able to take off or put back on the drapes. You also have to consider the order of doing it as the top of the drapes must too go around obstacles that must be taken into account.
Hope this helps and hasn't confused you.
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Removing Snaps

What a chore... I see your point about using a screwdriver, I'll get out a drill to remove the snaps. The previous owner had numbered the curtains, but the markings are faded. I think I should be able to figure out where each piece goes by laying them out a couple are longer than the others. The longer pieces go on the back window and the shorter pieces go on the side.

I found a YouTube video on how to remove the snaps using a drill. Not sure how I will replace the snaps once I have the curtains back up!

Thank you for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	195075  
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thank you Barbie.. For the help in uploading pictures. The hardware is not attached to the curtains. It sure would have been easier if they would have left it on (I think).

911Patriot~ I'm pretty sure our curtain configuration is the same. This sounds like is going to be a bit complicated. My Excella has had two previous owners. I think it was the original owner who took them off a few years back. Thay are hanging in dry cleaning bags in the closet. They look to be in perfect condition. So I think it will be worth all the trouble getting them back up.

It is so wonderful having this forum, with AS owners who have been through the same situation and are willing to help..

Thank You!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If snaps drilled to take off reattach w/pop rivets
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
It is certainly worth the trial and error to put the curtains back up! I had never done it before and I just muddled along until I got it right. I never took off any snaps from the walls because they don't have to be removed in order to put the drapes back up.

Webspinner - Thank you for the embedded photo instructions!
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Before drilling out the snaps, make sure that you have the hardware to rehang the curtains. Vintage Trailer Supply carries curtain hardware for Airstreams. I'm assuming that the picture is turned sideways, but I can't tell if that is the top or bottom rail. Sometimes they are different and require different hardware.

When the time comes to drill out the snap, most pop rivets use a 1/8" hole, so you can use a 1/8" drill bit to remove the rivet and you'll still have a usable hole to replace the snap. You'll need to purchase a pop riveter, but it's a pretty simple tool and easy to use.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Great information.. Thanks! I think I have all the hardware (unless something comes up when putting them up!) the little slides are attached to the curtains. I'll use a drill and buy a pop riveter. And I thought it was going to be so simple hanging the curtains..

911Patriot, I was looking the pictures of your '91 Excella.. Give me inspiration and motivation!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Is is possible that there is another side, where there isn't a snap, where the curtain hardware can slide into position?

Drilling and re-riveting is a bit scary at first, but gets to feel routine pretty quickly, so it's not big deal if that's the route you have to take. I just thought I'd explore all options before going there.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hi Barbie,

No such luck.. I am going to have to drill at least one of the snaps off. There are 2, 1 on each side.. I just need to get the drill out!

Thanks for your help..

Vickie