Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
a conversation between husband and wife

A wife is scrubbing the interior of the AS prior to painting. She notices that the valance she is working on is sagging on one side. After checking a bit more closely she sees that the end cap is broken off at the point where the screw holds it to the wall.

"Honey, do you think that we can fix this, or do we need to get a new one?"

The husband comes over for a look.

"I can probably re-attach it somehow."

The husband begins to pry at the end cap, attempting to get it off. He is having little luck.

"I think that the bottom is riveted to the wall" says the wife, as the husband continues to prod the cap.

"Naw," replies the husband "it probably has a clip of some sort".

"I don't think so" insists the wife "I am pretty sure I saw some rivets at the bottom".

"I don't see any" the husband remarks. He continues his prying on the cap, now adding the extra power of the screwdriver in his hand.

SNAP! - goes the end cap as it breaks right above the remaining rivets.

The husbands last word:

"I think we should get a new one".
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
As a "husband" myself I can only say...sounds familiar
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My trailer had "sneaky" rivets as well that only someone of the other gender can see. They are invisible to the other half of the equation.....

Barry
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Lol

My husband cracked me up.
He looked at me so seriously when he quipped that we should get a new one.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sounds like the first step on that slippery slope of an interior renovation!

"Well, while we're at it...maybe we should replace the { fill-in-the-blank } too!"

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
long gone

Shari
Oh we slid down that slope long ago!

And that it just what it is like: Let's put in a new water heater.

Well, now that we have the toilet out we may as well replace it as well.

Well what about the vanity top? It looks bad, why don't we get a new top for it?

You know, with it taken apart there isn't much to it, why don't we put something else in there instead?

And before you know it the whole AS interior is out in your driveway,....
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I know...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0530.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	47491   Click image for larger version

Name:	guts1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	47492  

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Oh my....

Now that's scary!!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
South Weymouth , Massachusetts
Airstream Jealousy

Hello
This site has been a godsend to us. Our 1963 "baby" is nearly complete that we bought in September 2007. Andy has been working on it day and night trying to get it totally ready for road travel- south in late Janurary. Andy stripped all the painted orange woodwork which was quite the chore and rearranged the layout a bit and has done more than I could possibly write. I will download photos shortly. My question: since I cannot fully help him due to my work schedule, (we are not married or living together) I find the restoration very stressful, time consuming and costly.I am in the process of renovating my house as well during this time and depend on Andy, who is a carpenter to help. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this upheaval in their relationship during restoration.Am I jealous of our airstream?
anniescc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniescc
Hello
This site has been a godsend to us. Our 1963 "baby" is nearly complete that we bought in September 2007. Andy has been working on it day and night trying to get it totally ready for road travel- south in late Janurary. Andy stripped all the painted orange woodwork which was quite the chore and rearranged the layout a bit and has done more than I could possibly write. I will download photos shortly. My question: since I cannot fully help him due to my work schedule, (we are not married or living together) I find the restoration very stressful, time consuming and costly.I am in the process of renovating my house as well during this time and depend on Andy, who is a carpenter to help. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this upheaval in their relationship during restoration.Am I jealous of our airstream?
Both Donna and I got heavily engaged in the trailer resto. For some that works, for others that can be dangerous - you know, working in close corners and both with tools quite capable of being weapons . There were times when one of us would get a bit frustrated but that's what Starbucks is all about - after almost 39 years of marriage we know pretty well when it is time to call it quits and focus on something else for a little while.

Yeah, there were other projects that also got worked on during this time, but we both knew that the fun couldn't begin until the fun machine was done so it kepts us pretty much keyed to getting the Flying Cloud done and ready to roll. Everything else could be put off for a bit, and the really urgent things just got dealt with as they happened.

Your trailer is almost done from the sound of it so you'll be over the hump very quickly. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Barry
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Squamish , B.C
Man ..I sure get a kick from some of you guys that say my wife was helping with my AS.I admire that .The only way my wife would enter our trailer is if the house was fully engulfed in flames ( Must be nice).Today I decided to Drop the fiberglass dome of the front to look for leaks, because we are having a wind storm and sidewase rain.I found my leaks but now I have to find a way to ask the wife to come out and help. Man some times I think you guys have it soooo sweet.
Craig Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
For some of us it's just the other way around. My husband works out of town and I spend my leisure time (I work full time a a nurse so I'm being sarcastic here) working on the now two Airstreams. Not that Bob doesn't love our "projects", it's just that I'm really the trailer nut. Perhaps some of you read about our trip home with the new 31ft Sovereign. Bob pulling into the rest area and insisting on going into the "cars" side with about 50 feet of trailer and vehicle was a little stressful. Of course looking over to find he was pulling it thru Indiana at 72mph didn't help our relationship either. He's a really sweet man; but not a trailer guy yet.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...we understand about repairs and restorations...our latest is the awning that rolls out for shade is rotting near where it attaches to the AS...the upholsterer said he could cut off that part and re-hem it...and thats sounds good for 100.00...but he said don't remove it from the spring loaded part, he said to take the whole thing off for the repair. ??Does it just come out and off after removing the screws?? I know there is a metal rod that holds it in place at the top...but what do ya'll know about the outer extended part furtherest out? Thanks
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Finger of God

Whenever I read of the fun you all have restoring your campers, I can't believe how fortunate we were. We bought a 1976 Argosy 24 on Ebay sight unseen. My son and I picked it up near Dekatur Il. and drove it back to Tempe (near Phoenix). Everything worked. We have been camping once a month and have taken a couple of long trips. I diddle around with things that could be better but nothing has failed conpletely. Better yet... we found this forum after we bought the camper. God really does protect those of us who act before we think. Donna has had a blast personalizing the camper and insists on getting out as often as we can. The camper has been nag free!

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
As for me, it looks as though it may be a very long time before I get to use ours. I was just accepted into school; it is a 2 year course, 5 days a week from 8-4.
Eeek.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam
As for me, it looks as though it may be a very long time before I get to use ours. I was just accepted into school; it is a 2 year course, 5 days a week from 8-4.
Eeek.
Wannaroam

Good for you getting accepted into school. The really nice thing about an Airstream is that at the end of 2 years it will still be there awaiting your loving touch.

Good luck with the school thing. Now, head down and get that homework done .

Barry
Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Things that might work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murphy
Man ..I sure get a kick from some of you guys that say my wife was helping with my AS.I admire that .The only way my wife would enter our trailer is if the house was fully engulfed in flames ( Must be nice).Today I decided to Drop the fiberglass dome of the front to look for leaks, because we are having a wind storm and sidewase rain.I found my leaks but now I have to find a way to ask the wife to come out and help. Man some times I think you guys have it soooo sweet.
  1. I have a pound of Godiva chocolate in the Airstream
  2. Would you like to play "Dr. MacDreamy"?
  3. I'll do the dishes for a week
  4. I'll give you an I.O.U. to take you to the (ballet/opera/chick flick) of your choice
  5. If you don't want to I understand. (fill in name), you know that 25 year old divorcee who just moved in offered to help. I'll ask her. (Your bruises will probably fade in a week or so.)
Good luck, Paula
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam
My husband cracked me up.
He looked at me so seriously when he quipped that we should get a new one.
What exactly is the "one" in the sentence? Is it an endcap or Airstream? My wife would never say a sentence in that fashion, I would be backing another one in the driveway right now.
My wife often refers to herself as the "Airstream Widow". She is very jealous of my mistress sitting out in the yard, how ever, when the gaucho comes out, and we settle into bed, well, she knows who I love the most.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
it's me

I am the AS nut in the family and my husband is (somewhat) indulging me.

safari57 - thank you for the congrats!