Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
1974 29' Ambassador
Boca Raton , Florida
'74 Ambassador Interior wall question

I just purchased my 74 and the interior is pretty rough. Lots of old nasty latex paint on the walls, trim etc. After an afternoon of scrubbing without making the slightest headway, I've decided to strip the vinyl with Jasco rather than try to clean up the vinyl. My question is, are any of the interior walls or ceiling anything other than aluminum underneath? The front wall under the window felt like it was thinner than the rest of the walls when I felt it through the wire opening by the floor. Just wanna know before I start trying to strip something that can't be stripped and ruin the plastic.

jonahw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Hi Jonah,

In my 72, all walls and ceiling were aluminum. I double taped over the plastic wing window frames, wheel wells, and edges of the endcaps when stripping the vinyl and ran into no problems.

BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Hey Jonah - welcome. Sounds like you have one nasty, long job ahead of you. There are several members of this forum who have completed the stripping process. Use the SEARCH function on this site for phrases like: stripping interior walls, removing vinyl, etc. You should find lots of threads.

Excluding the end caps (which are probably fiberglass and/or ABS plastic), all the walls should be aluminum. But, from what I recall reading, they are not pristine aluminum sheet (as they were not intended to be viewed w/o the vinyl) and may not shine evenly. I do remember one person using a wire wheel to put a neat finish on the walls.

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
74 Ambassador Interior wall question

Greetings Jonah!

There are alternatives to stripping or painting over the vinyl-clad wall covering:
  • Hunter Hampton, the moderator of the AirstreamList on applied wood veneer over the interior aluminum panels on her coach with fabulous results. You can see photos of her coach at this link.
  • Tin Can Luv, a member of this site, overlayed the interior of his 1970 Overlander with a polished aluminum veneer and is documented on pages five and six of his photo album -- and was discussed in this thread among a few others.
  • While I haven't seen it utilized, there are a number of embossed tin/aluminum products of a decorative nature that could be utilized as well. When restoring my bungalow, I utilized products from M-Boss-Inc to recreate the pressed tin ceilings in their copper finished products. I have since considered utilizing these products as trim in some areas of both my Argosy and Airstream.
Good luck with your project!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote