Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
68 Overlander with a Dinette

Ok, it seems that there is virtually no 68 Overlanders with Dinettes, except ours. I've seen the Bambi and Globetrotter pics but no Overlanders. Ours is sort of torn out of the floor and a bit of a lincoln log mess yet still standing if that is possible. The table as been ripped from the wall, is resting on 2 small cushions, and is also badly delaminating from water exposure.

It doesn't seem to fold out into a Queen size bed, it looks like two short singles. The end capped thingies seem to not connect to anything but they have these fold outs to them that I guess are supposed to stablize the cushions. I've been trying to find a previous thread explaining the rebuilding of one of these, or even find pictures of one in an Overlander. The cushions are about 4'9" long and go from square to round at the front end.

If any one has plans or a picture to help me wrap my brain around what its supposed to look like or how to rebuild it, I would much appreciate it. Even better...has anyone rebuilt one so that it converts into a full or queen size bed?
Attached Images

1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

68 Overlander with Dinette

Have you looked in the Vintage Archives? Maybe you could find help there.

Good luck,

Lee & Don Pace
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Vintageairstream.com has 7 68 Overlanders on their site. None of them have a dinette. It seems I can only find small dinettes in the other airstream models.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Your dinette looks very much like the dinette that was used in the same vintage Safari's

It could have been a custom order as the factory would do that for a small or no up charge back then. If the interior parts were interchangeable they would do it. There is someone on the forums with a bunkhouse Overlander that has sleeping for 4 in the midsection and they each have 2 little windows in their bunks. Again it is a one off, and was custom ordered. They have the docs on that one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
That dinette was most likely made by a previous owner.I am going to make one for my '61 this summer.Here is a site that has some good drawings and photos.
http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/project2.htm
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I did see that web site yesterday. I like the way the seats look, and it looks much sturdier that ours. Well as we rebuild, I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Klamath , California
67 Overlander with a Dinette

[We have a 67 Overlander with a dinette. I had the laminate redone on the table and am now in the process of recovering the cushions. The table lays down between the cushions and when you rearrange the cushions they make into a bed.

I too was wondering if I was the only one with a dinette. I was beginning to think someone pulled out the couch and made the dinette. Glad to see someone else has one that looks just like mine.

Peggy quote=Uberlanders]Ok, it seems that there is virtually no 68 Overlanders with Dinettes, except ours. I've seen the Bambi and Globetrotter pics but no Overlanders. Ours is sort of torn out of the floor and a bit of a lincoln log mess yet still standing if that is possible. The table as been ripped from the wall, is resting on 2 small cushions, and is also badly delaminating from water exposure.

It doesn't seem to fold out into a Queen size bed, it looks like two short singles. The end capped thingies seem to not connect to anything but they have these fold outs to them that I guess are supposed to stablize the cushions. I've been trying to find a previous thread explaining the rebuilding of one of these, or even find pictures of one in an Overlander. The cushions are about 4'9" long and go from square to round at the front end.

If any one has plans or a picture to help me wrap my brain around what its supposed to look like or how to rebuild it, I would much appreciate it. Even better...has anyone rebuilt one so that it converts into a full or queen size bed?[/quote]
Sregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Klamath , California
We have a dinette in our 1967 Overlander. It appears to be of a lesser quality woodwork than the rest of the cabinets. For a while I thought that a PO had built it. But, have since seen them in a few other pictures in the forums.
Sregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Kathleen ~

It looks like there should be a way to drop down the tabletop to rest on the seat frames. Then, you could move the seat cushions to the center and rotate the back cushions 90-degrees to fill in the curved part to fit the gap to the wall. You would then have a "full" that goes across the front sideways.

You photo is a bit too small to confirm whether it's orginal or not, but my guess it is. That's basically the same design we copied ours from when we built it in...but ours only makes into a twin because we only have 37 inches in front of the door.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Mine has the fold out table from the side with the couch in the front.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
They are the original seats, but it really doesn't go down into a queen bed. The seats are way longer than yours, then they extend further out put in extra cushion, fold down cushion and voila! two twins no human can sleep on. I wish I had a drawing to explain.

After talking to people with gauchos in the front with side tables, everyone wishes they had a dinette instead. I think we are just going to have to rebuild the dinette but make it so that it folds down into a full or queen.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

These dinettes/twin bed arrangements were used on various shorter models in the '60s. VERY uncomfortable and clumsy to convert. Some had a short slide-out extension that blocked half of the door when made up into a bed. The cushions were not comfortable either as a bed or as a bench, especially that short, curved piece that was supposed to be the backrest. My '65 Tradewind had that arrangement. It's table was fixed on a cabinet over the water tank with an extentable table between the couches. The whole thing went in the scap pile. I built a credenza across the front with a fold-down table that extends to seat four people. Got rid of the couches completely and use folding chairs for the table. Extra sleeping capacity is an airbed on the floor. Great space in a smaller trailer. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
These dinettes/twin bed arrangements were used on various shorter models in the '60s. VERY uncomfortable and clumsy to convert. Some had a short slide-out extension that blocked half of the door when made up into a bed. The cushions were not comfortable either as a bed or as a bench, especially that short, curved piece that was supposed to be the backrest. My '65 Tradewind had that arrangement. It's table was fixed on a cabinet over the water tank with an extentable table between the couches. The whole thing went in the scap pile. I built a credenza across the front with a fold-down table that extends to seat four people. Got rid of the couches completely and use folding chairs for the table. Extra sleeping capacity is an airbed on the floor. Great space in a smaller trailer. Darol
Darol, My 67' Safari has the front dinette w/permanently mounted table between the twin sofa/beds... and you are right the cushions are very uncomfortable. The configuration of the (non-folding) extension table leg and slider assembly make for twin bed assemblies that cannot be slept on without doing damage to the individuals back or head (if you bump it on the table edge). We are going to remove these and build a new frame assembly to supprt a custom made queen size inner spring mattress. It will contour to the interior curve of the walls and go from side to side. It will serve as the main dining area seating and the main bed. The permanent table will also be replaced by a longer fold down table w/ folding leg from a 1969 Ambassador that will mount to the streetside wall below the window. It has the piano hinge on a credenza top section and when folded down has a lock to keep it in place while traveling. I will be re-using the lower cabinet fronts on the new frame beneath the sofa/bed so we won't be losing the storage areas. They will be deeper and we already have extra bins with canvas strap pulls attached to use underneath the bed. Under the front window a long, low, and narrow bookcase/storage tray will be over the fresh water tank that can be easily removed for servicing of the pump or water tank. It should be quite nice when completed and will create better sleeping arrangements for the two of us when traveling. Of course the full size goucho/sofa that is mid-ship on the streetside will still be able to support the occassional grand kid or so. We hope this will just be a better configuration with more creature comfort. Pictures are not an option yet so you will just have to use your imagination for now. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote