Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #1

1965 28' Ambassador
Winsted , Minnesota
65 Ambassador needs toilet help

Good Evening Everyone,
Brand new to this site and am a 1 year old Airstream owner.
We purchased our Ambassador diamond in the rough last summer. After a couple weekends of scrubbing she really started to come around.
Here's one of my problems. The previouse owner saw fit to cut out the original toilet/stool and strap in some other one that doesn' belong . I ended up taking that stool and the BW tank out as it had cracked and leaked all over. when I say he cut out the stool, I mean he grabbed his sawz all or whatever, started almost at the floor and cut out a big rectangular section of the fiber glass to include the stool.
It looks to me that part of the tub, tub surround, and the "bench" where the stool was is one big part. Does anyone know if one can purchase this whole assembly somewhere? Or is this where I learn how to do fiberglass work? I would like to get it back to original as much as possible.
Also, does anyone know if there is a way to remove rust stains from aluminum, like where they used a steel screw to hold something down, and now there is a rust streak there?

Thanks for any help on these matters.
This web site is a tremendous help for those of us learning the ropes. Many thanks to all the contributors.
Tyeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
The PO on my '64 did the same thing. I can empathize with you. Since we decided to scrap the entire bath unit, it wasn't much of a problem, but there's a rather large cut-out in the front where the new toilet was installed. It can be repaired with a little work using a fiberglass repair kit (or two) and re-painted. Strange to say, we preferred the ''look'' of a porcelain toilet as opposed to the outhouse ''feel'' of what we could determine from the original throne depicted in photos. Being as much of a newbie as you, the shine hasn't yet come through on my project, but this forum is the place to open up threads and spend all your money on ink cartridges printing the wealth of information generously offered by knowledgable friends. (insert smilie here...that's how new I am).
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
I'm working on that very thing on our 64 overlander. I'm rebuilding the missing sections with fiberglass. then I'll enlarge the hole and drop in a new thetford toilet from the top rather than 'undermounting' the bowl. I decided to make the new section part of a two-piece unit rather than the original setup where the tub and bench are all one piece. I'd have never gotten it out of the trailer if it were complete (or back into the trailer).

I'll snap some pictures when it starts to look better;^)