Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
1962 22' Safari
McCook , Nebraska
'62 Safari, interior paint removal

I acquired a 1962 safari about three weeks ago. The exterior is in good shape, just needs some small repairs and buffed. The interior was a mess. I gutted it and found two small rotted spots in the floor, one at the door and the other where a previous owner had cut the water line from the storage tank. I decided to replace the entire floor so that I could reinsulate it without having to remove the belly pan.
The floor is complete and the next step is to strip the two layers of paint and the original zolotane. Is there a miracle stripper that will not harm the aluminum? I want to polish the interior. I will add pictures soon… Thanks

hmbldr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Well it's been 2 months, but 172 views and 0 replies... so here's a quick comment for you in case you haven't been able to find an answer in that much time. haha:

Aircraft Paint Remover, sold at Autozone (buy 2 one gallon containers, you'll use it). They now carry it in a Low VOC and odor version which is more gummy (makes sense) but with a paint brush you can distribute it well and it works. I didn't need to do any of the plastic wrap tricks or anything, just applied a coat, waited 20 minutes while applying more, then scraped off with plastic blade scrapers. I would start getting really frustrated and then switch to a new scraper and all of a sudden it was easy again. Then my other half did a pass with steel wool, scraper, and a thin bit of the stripper to pull off any remainder.

Post those pictures! Don't be dissuaded by people not responding. It was a freak occurrence, and they were just trying to teach you more aspects of the search function

- Peter (and Marie)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
Just found this post. I used citistrip to clean everything off the skin in my trailer. I found it very easy to use and it wont eat skin. You can get it at home depot and its cheap. I used both brush on and the spray cans. Very Very easy to do but lots of elbow power is needed.
I have read about the evils of drinking beer so I quit reading.
Flysoncloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I need to update my blog! I have a paint stripper critique (pictures and all)... have plenty of practice (and way more to do) because my trailer had anywhere from 2 coats to 6. I was very much surprised to find that citrastrip was the best choice and removed the most per coat. I used mek and aircraft stripper too but citristrip did the job BETTER with a whole lot less hazards. I don't find it cheap and it only takes off about 2 coats per application. I was doing on average 3 coats to get to bare metal ... PITA but a necessary evil.
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote