Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
23' change dinette to sofa bed?

Looking at a 23' . Has anyone removed the dinette and replaced it with a Flesteel sofa/sleeper? Sofa can come with an air mattress or the standard gaucho type pull out. I think the air mattress is a queen which sounds nice. Would love to hear your opinions.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
23 ft

What year is the 23 ? Is the dinette in the front or on the side ?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Where is dinette located?

We looked at a 23' FB with dinette on side and wondered the same question. The first issue that shot down the idea was the wheel well which would have resulted in custom made or pretty much cutting out frame and springs of sofa. A hide a bed definitely wouldn't have worked.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
Looking at a 23' . Has anyone removed the dinette and replaced it with a Flesteel sofa/sleeper? Sofa can come with an air mattress or the standard gaucho type pull out. I think the air mattress is a queen which sounds nice. Would love to hear your opinions.
Most vintage Airstream owners do exactly the opposite, replace the old goucho with a U-shaped dinette.

I don't see why you couldn't do that, Lisa. We have a flexsteel sofa/sleeper in the front of our Sovereign and love it. Very comfortable to sleep on.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Most vintage Airstream owners do exactly the opposite, replace the old goucho with a U-shaped dinette.

Exactly! I'm in the middle of doing that in an Overlander, forward of the door. But there's a lot more room in a 27 footer.

Whatever you do, IMHO a permanent bed is must. The best Safari design (for 70s models) I've seen is a bed up front and a dinette (with a very open "U" design) on the side. That's where I'm headed with my Safari.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelinium View Post
whatever you do, imho a permanent bed is must. The best safari design (for 70s models) i've seen is a bed up front and a dinette (with a very open "u" design) on the side. That's where i'm headed with my safari.

Zep
zep, do you have photos of that set up? Sounds like something i could do in my 27'.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
WILDRTEXAS, sorry can't seem to find the link to the post with the diagram. I'm not that far along on the Safari. I'm still working the shell and floor. But I did take out the wing windows in the Safari in anticipation of having a bed up front.

I don't recommed it for an Overlander. The problem with putting anything across from the galley in the shorter Airstreams is that you wind up with a narrow bed or a dinette with a 12" wide table (unless you put a counter with bar stools along the wall). But you have to do one or the other in a Safari if you want a permanent bed. So if you put the bed up front in the Overlander, you get a squished dinette.

One successful arrangement like with the bed up front and dinette on the side is BLU_HWY_LADY's Safari. She elevated her dinette over the wheel well so you can sit facing each other across the table.

You might look at the 2007 floorplans for ideas, if you want to go for it. MEL, one of the moderators, posted a link in one of my threads to a bed-up-front arrangement, but the link is now broken. Maybe he can help.

In the Overlander, you can put a double bed one side and drawers and desk on the other, all aft of the galley. The drawers and desk can be fairly narrow, like 18", which allows for the passageway and bed opposite. Then you can have either a gaucho or dinette up front. That's what I did in my Overlander.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
ZEP, Thanks so all the info.
Seems like Im STILL working on my floor too.
Cynthia
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
our change

We had a dinette up front in our Argosy....we took that out and made a
bed. Then we took out the two twins that we have in the middle and will be putting this on one sidehttp://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/display.php?product_id=2478 then on the other side will be putting two recliners with a wall mounted flip up table in the middle for eating. We do most of our eating and cooking outside so having a full dinette just didn't make sense for us....also we love the bigger bed with our custom mattress.

Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote