Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Apalachicola , Florida
Smile 2005 Bambi - Remove Headliner

I have a 2005 Safari Bambi with the carpet like headliner/walls. Has anyone removed it to expose the aluminum skin. I understand that there will be a lot of glue residue. Any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I would hesitate to remove it for 2 reasons. First is the residual adhesive that will be left behind. That in itself may be almost impossible to remove without damaging the surface.

Secondly you don't know the condition of the aluminum behind the wall covering. There could be everything from dents to scratches. To me you really could be opening up a can of worms on this one.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
I have a 2005 Safari Bambi with the carpet like headliner/walls. Has anyone removed it to expose the aluminum skin. I understand that there will be a lot of glue residue. Any suggestions?
I have a 1999 Safari Bambi that I am in the process of remodeling. Have you had any luck do ing this.

Thanks

Al
Old 07-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I would also imagine that the roof liner gives some noise insulation, particularly as regards rain...?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
I suggest that you remove it in an inconspicuous area, perhaps inside a closet, first, then see what you have. If it turns out ugly overall, you can always re-skin the areas that are exposed with new .025 aluminum.
Can be done in a long weekend....
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've done the factory tour twice, and both times they've handed out scraps of mouse fur after it was glued to aluminum and DARED anyone to pull it apart.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but they are using some SERIOUS adhesive to hold that on the walls.

Finding a solvent that would do it? Questionable. Possibly if you could get cousin Vinney to walk in with a lit ceegar when you've got a bunch of flammable solvents inside would get rid of it, and you could buy a CCD with the proceeds of the insurance settlement.

Paula
Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Apalachicola , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L. Mayfiel View Post
I have a 1999 Safari Bambi that I am in the process of remodeling. Have you had any luck do ing this.

Thanks

Al
No, I have not made the commitment to start. I have pulled from inconspicuous places and there will be alot of glue to deal with. Mine is a 2005 and I do have 2 places on the ceiling, about the size of your hand, that are sagging over the bed. So, I want to do something soon. It seems that it will be less work to remove the headliner and skin over the existing aluminum/glue rather than stripping.

Has anyone done this? Any tips?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
We are redoing the inside of our 2005 Safari and I want to remove the fuzzy carpet on the walls also. Ours is loose in a few places but I did take a piece off where it didnt matter and the glue looks as though it will be close to impossible to get all the way off. Right now I am still building the new dining area and sitting area, we moved the eating area to the front and built a larger table so we dont feel so cramped while eating. We are also going to paint all of the cabinet faces and sides to get rid of the formica look, install a cork floor and the maybe a hard surface for the countertops. I will try to remove some of the glue and let you know how it goes but it does sound like maybe skinning over will be better.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Apalachicola , Florida
Keep me posted on your progress, I have not started mine yet. If you re-skin, are you just going to rivet to the existing skin? If so, do you think it's OK to rivet anywhere or just on the ribs? It seems that riveting to the ribs may not be necessary. I like your idea if painting the cabinets, sounds nice.
Sam
Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
I will keep you posted. If I rekin it won't be till later, we are going on a 3-4 week trip the end of Sept. So i need t get what i started finished in time. The paint is in progress, one more coat to go and it already looks great. The cork floor came in this week and I can't wait to get it down. My wife got the new cushions started this week also. I will take some pictures soon and post them.
What part of the state are you in, my daughter lives in High Springs, is that near you? I wanted to get finished in time for a test week-end trip down there but time is running out on me there.
what size and model is your bambi ours is the 25' safari with the awful blue and white couch and dining are which my wife couldn't stand.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Apalachicola , Florida
Photos would be great, the cabinet paint and the new seating sounds interesting. We live on the Gulf Coast in Apalachicola, about 60 miles east of Panama City. Mine is a '05 19 Safari Bambi with the ugly blue/white stripe interior. Covers are first on our list. We travel a lot between now and spring so it will be late spring before I do anything. I would like to see your photos as you progress, I am always looking for ideas.
Sam
Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would have to agree with jcanavera. Having seen how these are built, there is just no telling what mess you could find underneath. As a line worker if I knew the skin was going to be covered, I might be less inclined to baby it as I would an exposed interior. You could however luck out. The glue OTOH is pretty nasty after it dries. I saw the vent area where they apply the glue to the sheets. It's just caked with adhesive. Getting that off would most likely mar or damage any covered sheetmetal.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:04 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
Bambi headliner

I have removed the fuzzy headliner in the dining area. I have been able to remove the glue with spray on "Goof Off". However it is a real time consuming job and I found the skin was not in condition that I would leave it exposed. I have decided to go back with something like ultra-leather.

I have removed and am rebuilding the dining booth.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
You can always pull the mouse fur off and place new aluminum over the existing. I did the same on my 94 and it turned out great. I posted some pics of my trailer just this weekend.