Old 05-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Thumbs up 1991 34' Interior Refurbish?

I just purchased a 1991 34' Excella and want to redo the floor and upholstery. I am wondering if that will help the resale value. Also, it did not have wood floors and I am thinking of using wood in the kitchen and entry. Any thoughts before I get too far into a big project?

potatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
It probably won't help the resale value too much, but a fresh interior will make it more saleable. You'll probably be able to recover the cost of the new interior in the sale price if you don't get too extravagant.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Instead of wood, why don't you go for laminate? It's easier to install, less upkeep and lighter. I shopped for it recently, found the best priced stuff at Ikea (you can order it from their website).

Upholstery can be a huge job. If you just want to sell, I'd say skip it. If it's a case of whether you can live with it, then you might want to go for it.

There are other easy things you can do. You can powder coat appliances with chipped enamel (I've been researching this and its surprisingly affordable). Riveting in aluminum flashing to the backsplash can also be a cheap, easy upgrade. It all depends on what you want to do.

Good luck!

Our Airstream adventure continues!
Read the details at Tales of the Toaster
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
One of the first things we did in our Limited was to replace the carpet. Originally we intended to replace the upholstery as well. We found a nice "off the roll" loop-style carpet at Lowe's and replacing it ourselves was not difficult at all. We also removed the covers from the dinette and laundered them carefully. To make them easy to reinsert, you can place the foam into plastic bags and shrink them with the suction from a shop vac (thanks to a fellow forum member for this tip). Once we did all this it really brightened up the interior, and we decided we could go a good while longer before replacing the fabrics.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Braxton , Mississippi
Pergo Flooring vs Carpet

We tore out the carpet from our Excella 34'. Out with the carpet went embedded dirt and odors that cling to carpets. And anyone who has camped on the beach with kids knows how much sand gets tracked in. Pergo is beautiful, durable, and a snap to clean. Looks like real wood. Also real wood flooring would add alot of weight.
TOM CRUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321

One of my friends put the 6" square wood flooring in that you find at Lowes, etc. He bought a dark stained version and then sealed it again after it was down. I think you will find it is some type of foreign wood shipped in but, is medium hard and it is lighter than Pergo. The laminates are all pressed and glued and are surprisingly heavy.

I have tile flooring by previous owner and don't like it. I think I would go with the 6" flooring or cork and then seal both.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
Thank you for all of the replies. I want to use the laminate flooring in the kitchen & entry area and carpet everywhere else. Has anyone had experience with the laminate and installing it floating as opposed to glued down in trailers?
potatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master
There are several threads on installing laminate (Pergo type) flooring, a few on wood, a couple on cork, and at least one on bamboo. A search on these keywords will supply a lot of reading.

Laminates are generally installed as "floating", which is one of the things making them nearly ideal for use in an RV. Just keep in mind that it will inevitably float to the front, so you install it with the gap for expansion in the rear only.

'85 Sovereign, 25'
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
34' Floor and upholstry

Go to page 2 of my photo gallery. I've put in Heritage knotty pine laminate from Armstrong the whole length of the trailer. I highly recommend staying away from carpeting..I thought mine was nice, but when I took it out, it was wonder the wife was always sneezing in the trailer. As for my interior, I had a boat / marine reupholterer do it and it turned out nice. I probably should have gone with a heavier material..but you live and learn. The floor made the trailer feel bigger inside too.

Good luck.

Rob, Zoe', Stanton, Bryce, Braedon and Finn Baker
Do you Listen to the
Plymouth, NY 13832
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders -

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote