Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Asheville , North Carolina
1965 Safari cushion NIGHTMARE

Hello all, I have been meticulously restoring a '65 Safari and been anxiously awaiting the return of all of the cushions (rear large bed and front twins on left an right). The person responsible took the originals and started with having new foam cut. I asked for the foam to be brought by to dry fit before being upholstered. Nothing fit correctly and she said she would use the original covers to use as templates for new covers and then have the foam cut to fit. After many frustrating weeks waiting for the return she brought them by today and to my utter dismay nothing is as it should be. The rear large bed does not function at all properly as the foam appears to thick preventing all the pieces from fitting properly. On top of that the entire cushion is about 3" short. The front twins are a disaster, both being about 6" short length wise which causes more issues when the beds are pulled out. And to make matters worse she broke the original front wall sconce as she was carrying in the cushion. Frustration does not even begin to describe my feelings. So the point of all of this is can anyone tell me where I can have all new cushions made for a '65? I have no originals to use for templates so I am hoping there is a company that has files and patterns and can reproduce originals for me. I was so looking forward to kicking of my season this weekend in the Smokies but I am left with fear of many more weeks of waiting until I can get this resolved.
jjkitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A nightmare is monsters coming to eat you in the middle of the night? This is an incompent idiot. Time to find a professional to do the job properly. Good luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
suggest checking for businesses in your area that do boat upholstery.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Jeeze! Relax. Safari cushions and mattresses should be no problem at all. ANY good upholstery shop would do a good job. Sometimes folks have trouble with the gaucho cushions because of the fold but you should not have that problem. Get rid of the person your working with and approach it again.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
OK, here is the process.
First cut out templates from cardboard, the templates should go all the way to the edges of the available space

Second, take your templates to foam supplier and have them cut foam 1/2" beyond template all the way around, for thickness I used 4" layer topped by 2" softer layer

Third, use cardboard templates to mark material and cut 1/2" bigger all way around

Fourth, cut very long edge pieces 5-1/2" in width, use templates for determining length

Fifth, get them seven together by upholsterer or do it your self, leave 1/2" seam around all cushions, oh yes, remember to put long zippers on edge.

Once you have a cushion constructed go to dry cleaning place and buy cleaner bags for long ladies dresses, put foam into bags and suck air out with vacuum cleaner, this will make foam real small and allow you time to position inside cushion.

A good upholster will want to see space where cushion will fit and will really not care about your existing covers , as they may have changed shape in the last 45 years
Old 04-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I just brought my whole trailer to the guy who made mine. They were very tight becaue I was use to the worn older ones. Good luck, thake wrong ones and go camping until new ones r done.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
We had a very talented auto restoration upholsterer do ours. Took the Bambi II to him and he made all his own measurments. It was like doing an old car with no original upholstery to work from. He did magnificant job matching all wall curves, getting proper density foam for cushions and properly sizing everything.

Tags
1965, 1965 safari