Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Cheap or free in Colorado

Just attempting to get some conformity here for each state. I see that several of the other states in this boondocking section are title this way. Maybe we could stick all the Colorado stuff in one thread...but then again, I now you guys.

first real post follows...

Zep
Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Crested Butte

Here's a nice spot about 5 miles south of Crested Butte. It's on Cement Creek road that goes east off of the the highway leading north to Crested Butte. There is a fee area about 3 miles up the road, but this nice spot is only 2 miles in (the fee area was full this past weekend, but only one tent camper was near this spot). Thre is a nice trout stream on the other side of the road, maybe 100 yards.

There is a small meadow-like area just 30 yards off the road. You could park 4-5 airstreams if you were friendly. There are at least 3 fire pits in this open area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7370 trailer and truck-s.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	42684

Uphill you can see a nice wooded area. When you walk up there you realize that there is a spot inside the trees where you could level a trailer if you unhooked.

Name:	IMG_7371 view uphill-s.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	42685Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7373 from campsites-s.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	42687

Once you're at the grove of trees, you can see 5-6 tent camping areas and fire pits. The one spot in the trees where you could park a small Airstream is to the right center of the photo below.

Name:	IMG_7372 campsites-s.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	42686

Zep
Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Zep,

Noticed you had been missing a few days. Great pics. Looks like a great spot.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Oh boy . . . and just when my energy and time reserve to work on Spiffy, to make it camp ready, was low . . . you post that . . .!!

So now I have to continue work on my dinnette cabinets tonight . ..

Good work Zep.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Zeppelinium,

Have you been to Lake Irwin, about 7 miles west of Crested Butte? If so, what's it like?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin
Zeppelinium,

Have you been to Lake Irwin, about 7 miles west of Crested Butte? If so, what's it like?
Not me, but one of the other festival attendees said he often goes over the pass to the west of Crested Butte and says the trip is one of the best. The road (Colorado 12) is mostly dirt, but well maintained [he says]. I see Irwin on the map, but no lake...but upon closer examination, I think this is the locale you're asking about. Looks great, camping area on the SE corner and west side.

My land use map is too small a scale to tell exactly, but it looks like there is private land to the SE and NW, but the lake is surrounded by National Forest.

Name:	PS0073 irwin map.gif
Views:	195
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	42752

Name:	PS0076 irwin google.gif
Views:	177
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	42751Click image for larger version

Name:	PS0074 irwin-far.gif
Views:	184
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	42753

Name:	PS0075 irwin lake-close.gif
Views:	176
Size:	656.9 KB
ID:	42754

Zep
Old 09-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Grand Mesa, Colorado

N39 degrees 02.582 minutes
W108 degrees 04.003 minutes
10,634 elevation in Mesa County: Skyway Point parking lot along Hwy 65

Back in on north side Forest Service restroom- Flat area and you need not to detach trailer. On August 28th, low was 34 degrees... so dress warm.

Drive in dry, you will leave wet with all of the morning condensation. You would have sworn it rained over night. If you are a flat lander (we live at 6300 feet so a bit more adaptable) you might get the headache of the decade with altitude sickness. You will also find that trying to sleep over 8000 feet leaves you wanting of sleep to add. If you get to feeling altitude sickness coming on, turn around and catch I-70 to the north pronto. It can be a trip wrecker if you have never been introduced to the Curse of Colorado Mountains.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Edgewood , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Here's a nice spot about 5 miles south of Crested Butte. It's on Cement Creek road that goes east off of the the highway leading north to Crested Butte. There is a fee area about 3 miles up the road, but this nice spot is only 2 miles in (the fee area was full this past weekend, but only one tent camper was near this spot). Thre is a nice trout stream on the other side of the road, maybe 100 yards.

There is a small meadow-like area just 30 yards off the road. You could park 4-5 airstreams if you were friendly. There are at least 3 fire pits in this open area.

Uphill you can see a nice wooded area. When you walk up there you realize that there is a spot inside the trees where you could level a trailer if you unhooked...

Zep
Zep,
I'm going to CB next week, and know Cement Creek road fairly well. Is this spot past the Pioneer Guest Cabins (which are on the right as you go up Cement Creek Road fromt he highway)?

Is this BLM land or National Forest Land?

Thanks again!

-JP
AgPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPnut View Post
Zep,
I'm going to CB next week, and know Cement Creek road fairly well. Is this spot past the Pioneer Guest Cabins (which are on the right as you go up Cement Creek Road fromt he highway)?

Is this BLM land or National Forest Land?

Thanks again!

-JP
It's got to be National Forest--there's no BLM east of the highway up to CB. Damn, I remember the guest cabins, but can't recall if I saw them just because I went all the way to the fee area campground. The spot I'm talking about is pretty easy to see, it's basically the first area on the north side of the road (left) that looks cleared and under trees. My estimate of two miles is just that, which means it was about 2/3 of the way to the fee campsites.

Zep
Old 10-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I've put together a Cheap or Free listing for Colorado including dump stations, but it's nearly 21 pages long. It would take a week of work to get it in shape to post here, so I've decided to just offer to email copies to anyone who emails me: thombiz at yahoo dot com
Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I love going to Silver Jack Reservoir, Getting late in the season as it snowed in the mountains yesterday... If you go past the pay camp grounds you can camp for free just north of the Reservoir by the creeks that feed it.... Man it beautiful up there with the trees changing color...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Colorado Dead Zone

We spent a month in Colorado. Started in Durango in early June. The high country between Durango and I-70 was still frozen. Drove north of I-70 on Hwy 13 to I-40 (western part of the state). Although there is a lot of BLM land, access and boondocking is limited. RV parks range from $35 to $50 a night.

The mountain pine beetle has killed almost every lodgepole pine in northern Colorado. Millions of acres of dead trees. The die off extends into Rocky Mtn NP and up into Wyoming. The foresters are cutting the trees around the campgrounds to limit their liability. Most of the campsites overlook fields of tree stumps and slash piles. It will take 50 years to reestablish the forests. It is not a prety picture. If you are interested in building a log cabin this is the time to buy the materials.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Alot of the campgrounds around Steamboat Springs are limited or closed this summer too because of the beetle. Saw lots on the news this 4th about how different the campgrounds in many parts of CO are looking now Some people like the new, wide open feel - others are upset that they have no privacy. It will take a number of years to get it all back....for sure.

We have camped at Lake Irwin. We went there last year cause our youngest was looking at Western State in Gunnison. The lake is lovely, and many of the campsites have a view of the lake. They pretty much all sit above the lake. It was completely full when we went. There was one campsite above us that was roped off and had a BEAR BOX out ready to catch any.

We just got back from a short trip to pick up our trailer w/new axle. We stopped for a couple of days at Lake Isabelle which is SW of Pueblo. Again, lovely and very full. I will post a couple pics - including the very noteable and ongoing Bishops Castle about 5/6 miles away from the campground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Moonunit at Lake Isabelle June 09.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	616.9 KB
ID:	83439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our view of Lake Isabelle 09.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	83440  

Name:	front of castle.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	83441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle from side.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	83442  

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
We are planning a short couple of days out in the Moonunit (never enough days of camping!) Anyone have any thoughts on Golden Gate State Park north of Denver? We understand that parts of it have electric hookups? We may save that one for a fall trip, but need to plan something for August, not too far away from city as it is just for a couple days. Thanks.

PS Sorry, I know the State Parks are not free, but if there is something free/cheap in that area, we would like to know. Thanks again.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Near San Luis

This "recreation area" is just off the road south of San Luis. There is a moderate size lake, the standard Forest Service two-room concrete pit toilet, picnic tables, and a few trees. A great place to stop between Taos and points north.

Name:	P1000464 san luis boondock.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	141818

Name:	san luis boondock.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	141819

Zep