Old 06-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
ZILLOW Boondocking and Rockdocking

Zillow is now a very convenient way to searching out a camping spot... anywhere they have coverage.

What surprised me about the coverage was from my metal detecting an 1868 Union Pacific Rail Road campsite on a western Ranch. By accident of just covering a large area on foot, I found a 30 foot by 60 foot trenched area that would have supported the water draining off of a large supply tent used in 1868. Getting onto Zillow, and I am sure there are other similar web sites, I put in the name of the town, the state and found the area of interest.

Within minutes there was the trenched area... in nowhere. I had found some Sharps 50 caliber lead bullets and some 38 caliber lead balls that must have been handled there. Also square nails and some lead sealed crushed tin cans. Now I can sit at home, follow a road, a railroad track, a river, a creek and spot locations I would have never had the time to discover by driving around in a new area to boondock.

This is so convenient to use to find a camping site and look it over before you leave home.

No one has mentioned this valuable tool, as far as I know, on the Forum.

Have you used Zillow or another similar site to find, not only your neighborhood and home... but to find future potential camping spots in the deep woods, desert or prairie? If you have... did it work for you?

I have to call it Zillow Boondocking for a lack of any other explanation. Happy Campsite Hunting.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Zillow is a tool commonly used for researching real estate, unless we are talking about a different zillow. I just don't understand what would be the difference or advantage of using zillow vs. true map services such as google maps or bing maps. As a matter of rack zillow uses bing maps, so why not use the original source of the map data. Unless I am missing something.

-J

Old 06-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
What websites can you offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Zillow is a tool commonly used for researching real estate, unless we are talking about a different zillow. I just don't understand what would be the difference or advantage of using zillow vs. true map services such as google maps or bing maps. As a matter of rack zillow uses bing maps, so why not use the original source of the map data. Unless I am missing something.

-J
Have you used Zillow or another similar site to find, not only your neighborhood and home... but to find future potential camping spots in the deep woods, desert or prairie? If you have... did it work for you?

Do not stop there, what other websites would be useful to those interested in scouting out camping sites? Which work best for you? Why? What techniques are best?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
This Thread is intended to HELP ADD to my post

I thought I would find Bing and look it over.

I guessed the website name correctly and found maps. I have maps. Maybe there is an option I did not see that shows the satellite views, not of a map, but of actual terrain! A aerial view of the actual surface area is what my original post concerns. Not maps. I have maps into the 18th century that really serve no purpose other than a curiosity on a wall. I want to see the actual surface and topography.

I found my home on zillow and at one time my pickup was parked in the driveway. Another, later had a UPS truck in the driveway. Now... that does get your attention!

Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US is indeed a real estate website. It also shows an actual overhead view of the terrain... in the country, in the town, on a street. At the same time you can ... go house hunting. Funny that I bring that up. We are presently looking for a "retirement home" and I do not have to leave my seat to check the market, the homes in the area and especially the topography of the area.

If someone has a website that is better than the Zillow view... please speak up, but add a website domain name and WHY you feel it works better for those of us looking along rivers for camp sites... established or hunter camps.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Ray,

Yes bing maps has aerial views, the exact same nse you see on zillow, as zillow uses the bing maps. Look on the lower left of any zillow maps and you will see the bing logo. Also try going to google maps, they also have aerial views.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Laguna Niguel , California
I always do my scouting on Google Earth and I find quite often that the street view feature will actually have views on some off the beaten path roadways, forest roads and campgrounds. Google Earth offers 3D and terrain if you get into the options setup. I've used Zillow for realestate but that seems like a roundabout way of getting to what you're after.